DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone and Network requirements.

PeterQ

Reactions
I have a new Mavic Air 2, and at the moment I am using my new Iphone 12, as the controller screen for it.

Then it occurred to me, I have an Iphone 6 sitting in the desk draw, left over after an upgrade (to an 8 then to the 12).

Can I use it? What version of IOS is the DJI App depending on? Also will it work without a sim in the phone?

Which begs the next question? The MA2 is listed as a range of 5000 ft altitude and up to 10km range - I am assuming if that is the case it is not using the phone's wifi which wouldn't have that sort of range, and instead using some sort of RF. Any ideas what frequencies etc, it uses?

Yes, the iPhone 6 and all its variants are compatible with the DJI Fly App for the Mavic Air 2.

I am using an iPhone 6s and it works like a charm. Now using an iPhone 6 plus and still works like a charm ;)

A sim is not required unless you want to use a mobile network to download maps etc. whilst you are on the move. Besides, maps can apparently be cached beforehand, via wifi?, if you know where you are going to fly etc.etc. or, I believe, if you can use your phone phone as a wifi hotspot.

The Mini 2 manual contains the following line " Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when using OcuSync 2.0 video transmission connection. Otherwise, they may affect the video transmission", are they not the same controller or at least interchangable?

From page 46 of the MA2 manual https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.2_en1.pdf

"Operating Frequency2.400-2.4835 GHz, 5.725-5.850 GHz"

In the FLY app for the mavic mini there is a menu entry entitled "Transmission" which shows what is available, its status and what is being used, you may well have the same for the MA2

A sim is not required unless you want to use a mobile network to download maps etc. whilst you are on the move. Besides, maps can apparently be cached beforehand, via wifi?, if you know where you are going to fly etc.etc. or, I believe, if you can use your phone phone as a wifi hotspot.
I use my phone as I hotspot when I want maps.

I'm a bit confused in what is being asked in that last paragraph but here's some info that might clear it up.

The communications with the AC is with the RC. RC has its own radio for the AC. The RC in turn communicates with the app via USB, so no radio transmission is required from the phone to fly the AC.

But even though the RC to AC is using Occusync, it is still in the WiFi band so WiFi and Bluetooth on the phone has the potential to cause interference. With all the channels available though, the phone won't likely do much to cause issues.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom