DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone connection question

ThreeGs

Reactions
My previous experience with DJI products was the Phantom 3 Standard. I connected my phone to the controller's ad-hoc WiFi signal.
All the Mavic videos so far appear to have the phone connected to the controller with a cable. The instructions that were up here for a little while didn't mention connecting to an ad-hoc WiFi network hosted by the controller. Is a wired connection the only way to connect up your phone/screen device?

@ThreeGs for the most reliable connection and greatest range you do connect your device by wire to the Mavic Pro RC. The Mavic Pro can also be flown directly with with your device running the DJI GO App. This second control method is made possible by the Mavic creating a similar Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi Network to that you used with your P3 Standard. To enable the Wi-Fi Control Mode you simply flip a switch on the Mavic itself from RC to WiFi mode which creates this Ad-Hoc network.

Hopefully that helps provide some greater insight and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions about this.

@ThreeGs for the most reliable connection and greatest range you do connect your device by wire to the Mavic Pro RC. The Mavic Pro can also be flown directly with with your device running the DJI GO App. This second control method is made possible by the Mavic creating a similar Ad-Hoc Wi-Fi Network to that you used with your P3 Standard. To enable the Wi-Fi Control Mode you simply flip a switch on the Mavic itself from RC to WiFi mode which creates this Ad-Hoc network.

Hopefully that helps provide some greater insight and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions about this.

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it, but I maybe wasn't making my question clear.
I am simply talking about the phone's connection to the controller. Is it only via cable or can you connect the phone to the controller via wifi as well? To use the controller to fly but also see what the Mavic is filming I mean.

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it, but I maybe wasn't making my question clear.
I am simply talking about the phone's connection to the controller. Is it only via cable or can you connect the phone to the controller via wifi as well? To use the controller to fly but also see what the Mavic is filming I mean.

Reread your OP and apologize as I misread.

The only way to connect your phone to the Mavic RC is by cable. You cannot connect to the RC by Wi-Fi, but as I described in my previous response, you can connect to the drone by Wi-Fi. Sorry for that misread. Hopefully that helps a bit more... :)

Reread your OP and apologize as I misread.

The only way to connect your phone to the Mavic RC is by cable. You cannot connect to the RC by Wi-Fi, but as I described in my previous response, you can connect to the drone by Wi-Fi. Sorry for that misread. Hopefully that helps a bit more... :)

This confirms what I figured I was seeing. To fly with the controller and have a view screen a USB cable is required.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only way to connect your phone to the Mavic RC is by cable. You cannot connect to the RC by Wi-Fi
I guess this is a very good thing because now my flight screen's WiFi won't be tied up with the controller connection and can instead try to connect to a nearby WiFi access point to get map data.
NICE!

Reactions: Advexure
I guess this is a very good thing because now my flight screen's WiFi won't be tied up with the controller connection and can instead try to connect to a nearby WiFi access point to get map data.
NICE!

You are exactly correct. TU

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest