DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone location button needed ?

Biggie777

Reactions
I have the mini 2 and my GPS always works whether I have the location on my phone turned on or not. Sometimes out of habit I just keep it on as I'm so used to needed it for Google maps. Is this necessary and if so why does my mini 2 have gps with or without location enabled ?

I have the mini 2 and my GPS always works whether I have the location on my phone turned on or not. Sometimes out of habit I just keep it on as I'm so used to needed it for Google maps. Is this necessary and if so why does my mini 2 have gps with or without location enabled ?
The GPS receiver is in the drone.

why does my mini 2 have gps with or without location enabled ?
The GPS receiver in your phone is only useful if you want to find out the location of your phone.
That's not much help when you are flying and the only position information that matters is where teh drone is.
The drone has a its own GPS receiver and that's what is used for flight functions like recording a home point, telling where the drone is, how far it is from the home point, how fast it's flying etc.

GPS on your phone will show the relevant map but makes no difference to the drone
You don't even need GPS on the phone to show a map.
The app gets the location data from the drone's GPS and shows that on the map.

Reactions: Biggie777
You have to load the relevant map for the area first though don’t you
You get the map from internet data, either sometime in the past and cache it, or directly from wifi/phone data.
But the map does not come from GPS.
GPS only gives location data .. just a few numbers - not maps.

You get the map from internet data, either sometime in the past and cache it, or directly from wifi/phone data.
But the map does not come from GPS.
GPS only gives location data .. just a few numbers - not maps.
Makes sense because maps are usually updated along with all your other apps. (data / wifi) So as soon as I plug my phone up to to controller,it's showing the location from the drone on the map which is why I don't need wifi/data/location on my phone enabled ? I started with a Tello and there was some feature called VGPS which you were supposed to enable the location on the phone and make sure it was on "high accuracy." It was the Volatello fpv app and I never truly understood how it worked but it was kind of a hit or miss feature anyway so I didn't dig into it.

Love the mini,this thing is so awesome!

Makes sense because maps are usually updated along with all your other apps. (data / wifi) So as soon as I plug my phone up to to controller,it's showing the location from the drone on the map which is why I don't need wifi/data/location on my phone enabled ? I started with a Tello and there was some feature called VGPS which you were supposed to enable the location on the phone and make sure it was on "high accuracy." It was the Volatello fpv app and I never truly understood how it worked but it was kind of a hit or miss feature anyway so I didn't dig into it.

Love the mini,this thing is so awesome!
I like it so much and rely on it more than my Mavic Pro Platinum now so now plan to sell it. Will see what else is offered in months to come. That Mini 2 can just be thrown up anywhere, anytime so easily. I use it in my rural area to check cattle, water, fencing, gates, calves, etc. Very handy and useful, petite, easy to carry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wendystroper