DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone/tablet

youngster30uk

Reactions
I keep reading here and other places that basically ipad mini4 is the way to go.

I currently use a.samsung j7 which is not a powerful phone. However, go4 works well.on it with a clear picture.

I keep.hearing go4 is resource consuming and it always comes back to ipad 4 mini

I find this hard to believe as it works fine on my low power j7.

Whats the story? Is it just a lot of apple fanboys?

I am loathed to buy an apple product as i would not use it for anything else. So come on, lets cut the BS . Generally samsung and other hardware is often better then the apple equivalent. I inderstand that maybe the app is optimised for apple, but really what are other non apple tabs that work well?

I know this is often discussed but the discussions always lead to apple ipad mini4.

Why?

You are either in the iOS camp, or the Android camp ... There's probably some legacy stuff about the quality of the Apple screens that would be relevant, as they can be good in bright-outdoors conditions. However, my Huawei P10 Android phone works very well for me ...
You can get the full spectrum of compatible devices from this list ... Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

I keep reading here and other places that basically ipad mini4 is the way to go.

I currently use a.samsung j7 which is not a powerful phone. However, go4 works well.on it with a clear picture.

I keep.hearing go4 is resource consuming and it always comes back to ipad 4 mini

I find this hard to believe as it works fine on my low power j7.

I am loathed to buy an apple product as i would not use it for anything else. So come on, lets cut the BS . Generally samsung and other hardware is often better then the apple equivalent. I inderstand that maybe the app is optimised for apple, but really what are other non apple tabs that work well?

I know this is often discussed but the discussions always lead to apple ipad mini4.

Why?

I agree with @FoxhallGH - it's mostly about personal choice but there is no getting around the fact that DJI and Apple are in bed together. Apple is a DJI reseller and they typically use Apple phones/tablets on stage at DJI Product Announcement events. Most people tend to agree (even those who use Android) that DJI Go 4 runs best on Apple - but that is not to suggest that the equivalent Android experience is made out of cr@p.

From a software developer's point of view, there is only one IOS whereas with Android there is a plethora of variants out there running on phones and tablets from a lot of different manufacturers. This makes it a lot more difficult for DJI to maintain a stable software product across all of the various Android-based hardware platforms.

As someone who was until recently more than happy using my Samsung S7 (I'm now using an Apple iPad Pro 9.7") I would recommend staying with it unless you really want a bigger screen. In that case, give the iPad Mini 4 a miss because it is old tech and underpowered compared with even the current entry-level iPad. The iPad Mini 4 is the perfect size to go with a DJI RC but that's where it ends, unfortunately.

If as rumoured Apple releases a new iPad Mini before the end of first quarter 2019 I predict that it will quickly become the most popular device to be paired with DJI remote controllers for the foreseeable future.

From a software developer's point of view, there is only one IOS whereas with Android there is a plethora of variants out there running on phones and tablets from a lot of different manufacturers. This makes it a lot more difficult for DJI to maintain a stable software product across all of the various Android-based hardware platforms.
It's not quite that bad, because it's not the Android OS that's different with all the phone manufacturers, it's just their overlay that provides the user experience on the phone that's different. It's a bit like saying that you have a different Microsoft Windows 10 than I have, because you put different icons on the desktop ... That's not the case of course ... On the positive side, we've not heard stories of OS updates on Android that are designed to reduce the speed of the phone to make you look to the next model!! ;)
It does seem to be all about the capability of the hardware ... an old under-powered Apple phone or tablet will be just as bad running Go 4 as an old under-powered Android phone or tablet!

Why?
That's part of the story along with effective marketing from Apple and a lack of knowledge among many users.
It's a myth that just gets repeated over and over on forums.
The iPad mini 4 is an acceptable flying tablet but so are many Android tablets which will perform at least as well.

lets cut the BS .
I inderstand that maybe the app is optimised for apple, but really what are other non apple tabs that work well?
The DJI Go 4 app isn't optimised for Apple any more than it is for Android.
It runs equally well on a good tablet of either flavour.
If you are looking for a tablet and don't want to go with Apple, look for the Huawei M3 or M5.
They are probably the best Android flying tablets and offer superb performance, at least as good as anything from Apple.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
That's part of the story along with effective marketing from Apple and a lack of knowledge among many users.
It's a myth that just gets repeated over and over on forums.
The iPad mini 4 is an acceptable flying tablet but so are many Android tablets which will perform at least as well.

The DJI Go 4 app isn't optimised for Apple any more than it is for Android.
It runs equally well on a good tablet of either flavour.
If you are looking for a tablet and don't want to go with Apple, look for the Huawei M3 or M5.
They are probably the best Android flying tablets and offer superb performance, at least as good as anything from Apple.
There is some case for better optimization for IOS. The reality is Samsung and others have been building better and more powerful phone/tablets for a long time now. My J7 is a budget phone. It has had no issues or crashes at all with go4 so far. I do want a tablet size screen for it. I dont want apple as it would then be single use, i cant justify that. The problem is all the posts about this end up saying mini4. There are not many people saying Android and which ones run it well. I find it surprising that hardly any samsung make dji official list. The stories of it not working well on some android put me off buying android incase that happens. The other list i have seen seems to be out of date really. Come on guys and gals. Please say which android tablet you have that runs go4 well.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8", 32 GB. With Wi-Fi but no cell.

I've been using this tablet for several months and I've had no problems with it at all.

I run the latest version of DJI GO 4 (4.3.8 currently).

Larry

This is what I want to hear. I only want it for flying, so am loathed to pay apple prices. am looking at 2nd hand units, a samsung is about half the price of the mini4

This is what I want to hear. I only want it for flying, so am loathed to pay apple prices. am looking at 2nd hand units, a samsung is about half the price of the mini4
I think one of the key principles behind getting any phone or tablet to work with the Mavic Air remote is to keep things simple: Don't install a ton of apps, and don't have any more apps than absolutely necessary running in the background. I bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 specifically to use with my drone setup. I've never tried running the tablet in Airplane Mode (never needed it in my case, apparently), but that's also an option to help keep background operations at a minimum.

Larry

Checkout the Nvidia Shield tablet, not made anymore but can be found used on Ebay. Made for gaming with a powerful processor, HDMI port, excellent graphics and GPS. I lucked out and picked one up for $100. This is an example:

NVIDIA Shield 8" 16GB, Wi-Fi Tablet - Black | eBay

I use mine in a mavmount for my MA and have not had any issues. No apparent lag and great video.

Last edited:
I am using Acer Iconia One 7 tablet to fly my MA without any issues. I bought it on eBay brand new , someone's unwanted gift, for £45. I read somewhere that there are 2 different versions of this tablet ,and the one with Mediatek processor is the one to go for. I also own an iPad mini 1st gen, which performs equally well , however i am finding myself using the Acer more often due to its user friendly size and weight in comparison with Ipad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Navy Jumper
I think DJI built their drones around the Apple products, looking at the side of your drone box it states made for iPhone.....go figure

I think DJI built their drones around the Apple products, looking at the side of your drone box it states made for iPhone.....go figure
DJI get some kind of benefit for having the sticker. Its the same with all the stickers on your pc.

Crystal Sky and the new DJI controller are both Android

That's called ... 'Marketing'

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580