DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone transmission pauses temporarily

sam.sankari

Reactions
Just bought a mavic mini and have been noticing when I have flying about 700 Meters away the image on my phone pixilates and pauses for about 3 seconds then comes good. It's frustrating because I can't see the status of my drone. Any ideas?

It's probably at the limit of it's range given the particular conditions.
Fly closer within VLOS.

Reactions: scro
Thanks Iannes
Mavic mini claims it can fly upto 4km I'm not even at 1km and cuts out, also what is VLOS?
Claims to fly "up to" are given as perfect conditions. But yours don't seem to meet that level of criteria.

Claims to fly "up to" are given as perfect conditions. But yours don't seem to meet that level of criteria.
It all depends what Country you live in and whether your set for 2.8ghz or 5. Im on East Coast ?? and unless im in high wifi interference area i get 3 to 4 miles with full bars and no glitches. See video. Ffw to 8 minutes

The quoted 4km range is only for the FCC version. The CE version sold in Australia (and much of the rest of the world) has a specified range of 2km, and then only on the 2.4ghz band. 5.8ghz is specified as having 500m range.

Slightly misleading marketing from DJI, hyping the 4km range, but this detail is given in the specs.

The quoted 4km range is only for the FCC version. The CE version sold in Australia (and much of the rest of the world) has a specified range of 2km, and then only on the 2.4ghz band. 5.8ghz is specified as having 500m range.

Slightly misleading marketing from DJI, hyping the 4km range, but this detail is given in the specs.

Not at all misleading. Depends on Country and conditions and if you follow a few rules like turning off wifi, mobile data and also I put on Airplane mode. I regularly get 3 to 4 miles distance and still full bars and no video glitches. If I don't do all that it sometimes won't get half a mile. My battery is what stops me from going any further, not the signal

Not at all misleading. Depends on Country and conditions and if you follow a few rules like turning off wifi, mobile data and also I put on Airplane mode. I regularly get 3 to 4 miles distance and still full bars and no video glitches. If I don't do all that it sometimes won't get half a mile. My battery is what stops me from going any further, not the signal.

Not misleading for USA customers who get the hardware capable of 4km. But for most of the rest of the world the range the hardware they get is capable of is significantly less than 4km. So, not making that clear in the marketing and burying the significant difference in the detail of the specs is edging on misleading. There have been quite a few people who have a CE transmitter wondering why they can't get anywhere near 4km range.

Last edited:
Not misleading for USA customers who get the hardware capable of 4km. But for most of the rest of the world the range the hardware they get is capable of is significantly less than 4km. So, not making that clear in the marketing and burying the significant difference in the detail of the specs is edging on misleading. There have been quite a few people who have a CE transmitter wondering why they can't get anywhere near 4km range.
Gotcha

If one can't be bothered to know their country and it's applicable laws and look up something from a website on specs, I would think there lies the problem, I certainly don't buy anything without over viewing all specs using a bit of due diligence.

If I bought only watching commercials I would have a house full of crap ;) DJI has been marketing like this and displaying full info to consumers on their webpages for over 6 years, nothing new there. Again it's up to the consumer to do the proper legwork and be knowledgeable about purchases IMHO.

It is certainly well known and acknowledged that FCC can and mostly will fly farther given conditions than CE, one certainly can't blame DJI for conforming to local ordinances to be able to meet countries transmission guidlines in order to sell their product there. :)

Seriously, how many Youtube videos are done on this subject both FCC or CE based flights (How long has the MM been marketed?)...there has to be a good hundred or so posted out there for one to just google and see what ranges can be expected with Ideal conditions in either format.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies really appreciate it. This is my first drone so all new to this. I am in Australia so our wifi is 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I didn't buy the mavic mini based on the distance of 4km but just surprised that I can't reach 1km before video starts cutting out I have only ever flown around 700m away.

So if i turn of my mobile data and wifi on my phone will that make any difference. I don't mind not being able to fly 3-4km just don't want to loose connection to my drone as when it pauses I have no control whatsoever and worried one day it won't reconnect?

Thanks everyone for your replies really appreciate it. This is my first drone so all new to this. I am in Australia so our wifi is 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I didn't buy the mavic mini based on the distance of 4km but just surprised that I can't reach 1km before video starts cutting out I have only ever flown around 700m away.
I had similar problems on 5.8G so I purchased a pair of yagis. Only need it on the video downlink but can fly to about 3km when the battery gets low and RTH kicks in.
Also puchased a parabolic reflector which works just as well. They are available in Oz.

So if i turn of my mobile data and wifi on my phone will that make any difference. I don't mind not being able to fly 3-4km just don't want to loose connection to my drone as when it pauses I have no control whatsoever and worried one day it won't reconnect?
You want to stop as much wifi interference as you can. That starts with mainly with your own. You also are better off in less congested areas where there's plenty of it. If you seen my video of 3 plus miles and still have full bars and never even a glitch, notice im on the Beach. All wifi signals are facing the other way. No point in companies wasting money on sendig a signal towards the water. All the tall hotels rent out their roofs to companies that put their boosters up their but they all face away from the water. Do as I said in earlier post, turn off wifi, mobile data, put phone in airplane mode and get as far away from congestion of people with phones and wifi routers. The less interference there is the farther it will go before glitches. You don't need wifi to fly. Only thing you need wifi for is to download and update DJI app, BUT ONLY on occasions when it tells you to and you can do all that from home before venturing out. AND also will need it if you're needing to unlock a GEO zone. But once you've unlocked it you can shut all that back down. I use a Samsung tablet that doesn't even even have mobile data or connected to wifi. If I need it to i hook up to my phone Hotspot to update or unlock and then I shut both wifi and and data devices down . Trust me on this. Give it a try in your yard at 10 foot and you'll see. Let me know how much it helps. I'm assuming that you know you have to face RC antennas towards drone. If you don't knowvthat You tube it cuz I'm done here lol

Last edited:
Reactions: sam.sankari

You want to stop as much wifi interference as you can. That starts with mainly with your own. You also are better off in less congested areas where there's plenty of it. If you seen my video of 3 plus miles and still have full bars and never even a glitch, notice im on the Beach. All wifi signals are facing the other way. No point in companies wasting money on sendig a signal towards the water. All the tall hotels rent out their roofs to companies that put their boosters up their but they all face away from the water. Do as I said in earlier post, turn off wifi, mobile data, put phone in airplane mode and get as far away from congestion of people with phones and wifi routers. The less interference there is the farther it will go before glitches. You don't need wifi to fly. Only thing you need wifi for is to download and update DJI app, BUT ONLY on occasions when it tells you to and you can do all that from home before venturing out. AND also will need it if you're needing to unlock a GEO zone. But once you've unlocked it you can shut all that back down. I use a Samsung tablet that doesn't even even have mobile data or connected to wifi. If I need it to i hook up to my phone Hotspot to update or unlock and then I shut both wifi and and data devices down . Trust me on this. Give it a try in your yard at 10 foot and you'll see. Let me know how much it helps. I'm assuming that you know you have to face RC antennas towards drone. If you don't knowvthat You tube it cuz I'm done here lol
I revised that last comment. Tell ya what, if you have any questions email me. Not many have the knowledge I have with the Mini 1
[email protected]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom