Phones and tablets that work well with DJI GO

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
Note: An updated list of tablets/phones is available here.

Overview

There are a wide variety of Apple and Android devices available. It's important to make sure you're using a device that is powerful enough in order to prevent the DJI GO app from lagging, freezing, and/or crashing during use. The following list includes devices recommended by Phantom Help (), devices recommended by DJI (), and other devices that are most often recommended by Phantom pilots.

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Apple Devices

►► iPhone 5s--(4 inches A7 chip)
iPhone 6--(4.7 inches A8 chip)
iPhone 6 Plus--(5.5 inches A8 chip)
iPhone 6s--(4.7 inches A9 chip)
iPhone 6s Plus--(5.5 inches A9 chip)
iPhone SE--(4 inches A9 chip)
iPhone 7--(4.7 inches A10 chip)
iPhone 7 Plus--(5.5 inches A10 chip)

Notes:
  • The remote controller mount can only hold devices that are up to 6.29 inches tall and 0.25-0.33 inches thick (including the case).
  • Your Apple device will work better out of the box if you follow these tips.
  • If you're planning on using a tripod, stand, or 3rd party mount, any of these tablets can also be used with DJI GO.

Android Devices

►► Google Nexus 5--(5 inches2.3 GHz2 GB RAM)
►► HTC One--(4.7 inches1.7 GHz2 GB RAM)
Huawei Ascend Mate 7--(6.8 inches1.3 GHz2 GB RAM)
Huawei P8 Max--(6.8 inches2.2 GHz3 GB RAM)
Nubia Z7 Mini--(5 inches2.0 GHz2 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy A5--(5.2 inches1.6 GHz2 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3--(5.7 inches2.3 GHz3 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy Note 4--(5.7 inches2.7 GHz3 GB RAM)
►► Samsung Galaxy Note 5--(5.7 inches2.1 GHz4 GB RAM)
►► Samsung Galaxy S4--(5 inches1.9 GHz2 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy S5--(5.1 inches2.5 GHz2 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy S6--(5.1 inches2.1 GHz3 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy S7--(5.1 inches3 GHz4 GB RAM)
►► Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge--(5.1 inches2.1 GHz3 GB RAM)
Smartisan T1--(4.95 inches2.5 GHz2 GB RAM)
►► Sony Xperia Z2--(5.2 inches2.3 GHz3 GB RAM)
Sony Xperia Z3--(5.2 inches2.5 GHz3 GB RAM)
Xiaomi Mi 3--(5 inches2.3 GHz2 GB RAM)

Notes:
  • The remote controller mount can only hold devices that are up to 6.29 inches tall and 0.25-0.33 inches thick (including the case).
  • Your Android device will work better out of the box if you follow these tips.
  • If you're not able to install DJI GO from the Google Play store, you'll need to sideload the DJI GO APK.
  • If you're planning on using a tripod, stand, or 3rd party mount, any of these tablets can also be used with DJI GO.

Last edited:
Reactions: grizzard and Smallz
Just tested my Google Pixel XL and can confirm no issues

Just noticed Samsung S7 is now OK. Is that new? Have they confirmed the S7 is now OK? Any experience out there with the S7? I have an S7 but no Mavic (still waiting) to try this out.

Reactions: Lone Wolf 58
Just noticed Samsung S7 is now OK. Is that new? Have they confirmed the S7 is now OK? Any experience out there with the S7? I have an S7 but no Mavic (still waiting) to try this out.
DJ I support just told me today S7 Edge is not compatible.

Reactions: JeeHaa
I did my first flight wit my S7 and no issues. Then I got a dedicated bigger device to use, so beyond some quick ground testing I haven't used the S7 anymore, but still without issues.

msinger- Anyway you could update the list of "Phones and tablets that work well with DJI GO" to include those tablets that can fit into the Mavic controller, (albeit snugly), by extending the controller arms to their maximum width and inserting the tablet corners through the slots in the arms?
Obviously, one may also need to use an alternate USB port on the controller to connect a cable to the chosen device.

-And thanks for posting this list.

Just tested my Google Pixel XL and can confirm no issues
Excellent news! I use my phone for ground shooting with an Osmo Mobile and the P XL is what I've been considering to get 4k, but was waiting to hear about Mavic compatibility.

Only other issue for me is Osmo related- can't swap out the battery on the Pixel like I can with the Note 4, and the Osmo Mobile is hell on phone battery drain.

I've read the Pixel XL battery life is very good, but having 4 extra batteries in my kit means shooting all day while hiking and away from recharge land.

Keep us posted if anything crops up with the Mavic with the Pixel phone please.

Now if my Oct 2 Mavic order would just arrive...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Caveman
I have been flying with a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium (E6853) without any issues.
5.5 inches, 2.0 GHz, 3GB RAM

Reactions: moby_gr
msinger- Anyway you could update the list of "Phones and tablets that work well with DJI GO" to include those tablets that can fit into the Mavic controller, (albeit snugly)
I'm working on it :)

How does the controller feel with a tablet in pushing it to max width? I wonder if it would be better to buy one of the 3d printed tablet adapter holders

Hi guys, is there any information about using an iPad Air with Mavic's RC?
Can an iPad Air in portrait orientation be fitted in the RC?
I think it would fit but:
Would DJI GO work in portrait orientation ?

Overview

There are a wide variety of Apple and Android devices available. It's important to make sure you're using a device that is powerful enough in order to prevent the DJI GO app from lagging, freezing, and/or crashing during use. The following list includes devices recommended by Phantom Help (), devices recommended by DJI (), and other devices that are most often recommended by Phantom pilots.

Apple Devices

►► iPhone 5s--(4 inches A7 chip)
iPhone 6--(4.7 inches A8 chip)
iPhone 6 Plus--(5.5 inches A8 chip)
iPhone 6s--(4.7 inches A9 chip)
iPhone 6s Plus--(5.5 inches A9 chip)
iPhone SE--(4 inches A9 chip)
iPhone 7--(4.7 inches A10 chip)
iPhone 7 Plus--(5.5 inches A10 chip)

Notes:
  • Your Apple device will work better out of the box if you follow these tips.

Android Devices

►► Google Nexus 5--(5 inches2.3 GHz2 GB RAM)
►► HTC One--(4.7 inches1.7 GHz2 GB RAM)
Huawei Ascend Mate 7--(6.8 inches1.3 GHz2 GB RAM)
Huawei P8 Max--(6.8 inches2.2 GHz3 GB RAM)
Huawei P9 Max--(5.2 inches2.5 GHz4 GB RAM)
Nubia Z7 Mini--(5 inches2.0 GHz2 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy A5--(5.2 inches1.6 GHz2 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3--(5.7 inches2.3 GHz3 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy Note 4--(5.7 inches2.7 GHz3 GB RAM)
►► Samsung Galaxy Note 5--(5.7 inches2.1 GHz4 GB RAM)
►► Samsung Galaxy S4--(5 inches1.9 GHz2 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy S5--(5.1 inches2.5 GHz2 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy S6--(5.1 inches2.1 GHz3 GB RAM)
Samsung Galaxy S7--(5.1 inches3 GHz4 GB RAM)
►► Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge--(5.1 inches2.1 GHz3 GB RAM)
Smartisan T1--(4.95 inches2.5 GHz2 GB RAM)
►► Sony Xperia Z2--(5.2 inches2.3 GHz3 GB RAM)
Sony Xperia Z3--(5.2 inches2.5 GHz3 GB RAM)
Xiaomi Mi 3--(5 inches2.3 GHz2 GB RAM)
Xiaomi Mi 4--(5.5 inches2.1 GHz3 GB RAM)

Notes:

• Your Android device will work better out of the box if you follow these tips.
  • If you're not able to install DJI GO from the Google Play store, you'll need to sideload the DJI GO APK.
I think DJi told me that my Nexus 6P would work with the included adapter/pigtail. I also believe that my Kindle HD 8.9 will work if I load Android 4.2 on it (which is possible)... and my old Nexus 7 which is already Rooted. Both have GPS. Alas though ... DJi still has my Mavic

Sony x Performance works. Which is a relief as it did not work with the p4.

I have heard from a few folks over o the DJI forum that are using the Samsung Tab A (2016) 7" with success. I picked one up on Black Friday for $50 at BB. Does anyone here have any feedback on this device? Here are the specs....

PLATFORM OS Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop)
Chipset Qualcomm MSM8916 Snapdragon 410 Spreadtrum SC9830
CPU Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A53 Quad-core 1.5 GHz Cortex-A7
GPU Adreno 306 Mali-400MP2
MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
Internal 8 GB, 1.5 GB RAM

Reactions: Scottotheforest
I recently received my Mavic and was using an iPhone 6 with it. Today I picked up an Acer Iconia One 7" tablet for $ 65 Canadian dollars and it seems to work just fine. MUCH more testing/flying to do before it becomes my 'go to' visual device for the Mavvy but it is quite hopeful. I think to answer your final question, bigger is going to be better however there is big enough (under 7") where it will fit in the holder without any additional mounting adapter.

Reactions: mig
Samsung Note 5 (SM-9208) no go, Go and Go 4 suffers crashes/disconnects/interferences on my phone. :/

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_