DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo altitude?

Lightsped

Reactions
I am mostly using the Mavic for aerial still photos. Is there a simple way to determine altitude that each photo was made? Would the altitude be above sea level or above the take off point?

Thanks

Reactions: ariksaja
Is there a easy way I can determine height above take off point for each photo? Nothing on EXIF data...

Reactions: Foxy
All I can think of is to note the (H)eight reading at the time of the photo.

The data shows I was at 350.xxx (doesn't specify feet, meters, etc....). I was actually around 92 feet according to the controller. Am I reading it wrong or what?

Thanks

Reactions: jthjr
The above photo was taken 300 feet above my takeoff point. The GPS data may come from the device you use, ie phone or tablet. I use an Android phone. Are you not using a phone? if you are, is it Android or IOS. Are you using the location on that device? What is the ground level above SeaLevel where you took the picture. GPS in the Mavic does know height above Sea Level, but we don't know what you are reading.

Go in go4 app and view flight. It will show a thumbnail wherever you took a picture. Fast forward to that point read telemetry and viola!

Reactions: panoramia
Awesome. Yes the Go4 "View Flights" had exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for help.

Reactions: Foxy
Hi Lightsped,

Do you see this in the flight records? I'm also looking for this, but can not seem to find it.
Thanks!

Yannick.

So there indeed is a field called "Altitude" in the EXIF data, and I've always assumed it's from the drone itself via GPS, along with the coordinates (i.e. absolute height from sea level). And at least in Lightroom it's reported as meters, with the unit.

However, now that I took a closer look at some of the recorded altitude values, they seem to be all over the place. I have several photos showing negative altitude in double digit meters – while literally flying above sea. And in many other cases the values don't seem to correspond to the height I'm able to eyeball from the photos. Not sure if there's just something wrong in my particular unit regarding the EXIF-recorded height or is this a common behaviour. In any case the altitude shown during flight and what is in the flight logs seem to be pretty much spot-on correct, so with some manual labor you should be able to get the actual heigth for any photo. Really wish the EXIF data was correct too though…

Reactions: ardash@adelaide
on my android phone i use fstop pro as a photo viewer and it shows the gps data and its the gps altitude not above take off point, i have to subtract my home town altitude if i want above take off, it shows a multitude of other info as well, its a great app my fave on androind for sure

DJI does record another tag called RelativeAltitude which populates the tag based on the height above your take-off point using the aircrafts barometer. To read this we need a tool called exiftool

Reactions: panoramia
DJI does record another tag called RelativeAltitude which populates the tag based on the height above your take-off point using the aircrafts barometer. To read this we need a tool called exiftool

Hey that was a cool bit of info, thanks! Shame that e.g. Lightroom only shows a limited set of EXIF data.

Download link for exiftool (Windows, Mac, …) : ExifTool by Phil Harvey

There's actually some really cool details apparently in the EXIF data recorded by DJI: stuff like Gimbal Yaw Degree, Flight Roll Degree, …

I have a drone, and I was taken some pictures and saw this.
In my place we are around 3200 masl (Metres Above Sea Level). When I saw the altitude in EXIF data it was only +35m, not 3250m. Is there any way to fix this?

Not sure if it's what you mean but the drone altitude is measured from take-off (being zero)

Not sure if it's what you mean but the drone altitude is measured from take-off (being zero)
I was reading more about this, and there are some others with the same issue than me.
In all my pictures taken shows: (well I tried at 35m) (in all pictures doesn't change absolute altitude)
Absolute Altitude : +1.20
Relative Altitude : +35.00

It is in the EXIF data I have seen it. It is in the GPS data. It is take off point, but the GPS location is there and Sea Level can be determined.
Pic2Map Photo Location Viewer Will read the GPS data also
A great little site. Best done with the original photo. The GPS data is not available in some of the edited copies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost