DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo mode 16:9 cropped version of 4:3?

Webcruise

Reactions
Hi guys,

does it make sense to shoot in 16:9 if it is a „pre-cropped“ version of a 4:3 photo?

Would shooting in 4:3 and cropping afterwards would give me more options in framing the photo without sacrificing pixels?

Cheers
Alexander

Absolutely. There is no sense in taking a 16:9 picture (none I can think of at least).
Would shooting in 4:3 and cropping afterwards would give me more options in framing the photo without sacrificing pixels?

I am personally very glad it has a 16:9 option, that was actually one of my gripes of the Spark! All devices I own are 16:9 and I do not want to do any post-processing at all, just snap some photos. That option also makes framing much easier if you want to use 16:9 anyway. I guess it makes a lot of sense on a point-n-shoot drone like the Mini for people like me, and luckily for you it's an option. :)

Last edited:
I am personally very glad it has a 16:9 option, that was actually one of my gripes of the Spark! All devices I own are 16:9 and I do not want to do any post-processing at all, just snap some photos. I guess it makes a lot of sense on a point-n-shoot drone like the Mini for people like me, and luckily for you it's an option. :)
I was going to add "unless you post/share pictures straight from your phone" but even then, you can do the cropping to your liking and to the desired aspect ratio within the phone without much of a hassle. It is literally just one more step. And hence, why I don't see any value in shooting stills in 16:9.

Reactions: Leckhart
It depends on the aspect ratio of the sensor. If the sensor is 16x9, you lose nothing cropping to 4:3 by chopping off the sides in post or have the AC to it. But if the sensor is 4:3, then some of the sensor goes unused recording in 16x9.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa