DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo SHUTTER button on remote did not take photos

Sirquack

Reactions
Well, had my first interesting set of flights yesterday. Was out and about taking photos/video of flooding in the central iowa area. I was flying at 400 agl looking straight down and setting up photos and thought I was taking photos with the right side shoulder button on the remote. I would click on the image to choose the focus point, click the button and it appeared to take a photo. Did that for 3 separate batteries. I did also take a few flyover/flythrough videos of structures along the flooded routes.
Got the drone home and when I went to upload the photos and video, there was only one photo on the card. And that was one I know I set up and used the screen to take the photo. No other photos existed on the card.
I tried the card directly in the computer, I tried the card in the drone, no difference between the two types. I look at the internal memory to see if I had someone set the photos to go to internal while the video went to the external SD card, but no.
I will try to get out again tomorrow if it stops raining, but I had hoped to get the photos when there was flooding, and the water levels have thankfully dropped quickly, but it appears I might have missed some of the most impactful photos because the shoulder button did not do it's job.
Anyone else have this issue?

I had similar issues until I realized (actually learned on this forum) two things. First, if you press the photo button lightly it just focuses, if you press it hard it takes a picture. Secondly, if the camera is in video mode the first press of the button switches from video to stills mode and the second press takes the picture. Hopefully, I got that correct.

Hope this helps.

I had similar issues until I realized (actually learned on this forum) two things. First, if you press the photo button lightly it just focuses, if you press it hard it takes a picture. Secondly, if the camera is in video mode the first press of the button switches from video to stills mode and the second press takes the picture. Hopefully, I got that correct.

Hope this helps.
I can totally see that being the problem. I mistakenly assumed when I saw the screen change that it was the image being taken. So now I gotta get back out tomorrow, and see if I can overcome my weak shutter press.

Thanks for the information. I am sure I can overcome this issue.

Hopefully, I got that correct.

Ken: Yep, you stated it correctly although I think "half press" is more common in the camera world than "lightly" but that's semantics. Your info to the OP was right on and I would venture a guess that most if not all of us "have been there" wondering where those dang images are! :)

Well, had my first interesting set of flights yesterday. Was out and about taking photos/video of flooding in the central iowa area. I was flying at 400 agl looking straight down and setting up photos and thought I was taking photos with the right side shoulder button on the remote. I would click on the image to choose the focus point, click the button and it appeared to take a photo. Did that for 3 separate batteries. I did also take a few flyover/flythrough videos of structures along the flooded routes.
Got the drone home and when I went to upload the photos and video, there was only one photo on the card. And that was one I know I set up and used the screen to take the photo. No other photos existed on the card.
I tried the card directly in the computer, I tried the card in the drone, no difference between the two types. I look at the internal memory to see if I had someone set the photos to go to internal while the video went to the external SD card, but no.
I will try to get out again tomorrow if it stops raining, but I had hoped to get the photos when there was flooding, and the water levels have thankfully dropped quickly, but it appears I might have missed some of the most impactful photos because the shoulder button did not do it's job.
Anyone else have this issue?
I get an audible "click"when photo is taken.Ipad mini and I use the Ipad screen to take photos.Not sure if the shoulder button produces the sound.

Reactions: BigAl07
I get an audible "click"when photo is taken.Ipad mini and I use the Ipad screen to take photos.Not sure if the shoulder button produces the sound.

I use the "Audio" shutter as my cue. If I don't HEAR the shutter sound I wait 2 seconds and press again. Often times I have duplicate images (sometimes the audible doesn't happen for some reason) but I always have the shots I'm needing when I get back to the vehicle and check the shots.

Always check your shots before you leave the site or you may not get a 2nd chance at the shot.

When taking pictures, I look at the screen where it shows how many shots are left to shoot on the card and make sure it is decreasing. Quick way to verify that something is happening.

I'm not sure why anyone uses the shutter button on the remote. It's too jumpy for me. I tap the phone screen to both focus and snap photos.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU