DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photogrammetry trials

scro

Reactions
A couple of years ago I did a few flights with a humble Mavic Mini (1) around the ruins of a castle and produced a short video:

I was recently doing some work that involved some photogrammetry and this gave me the opportunity to try using some legacy video footage as input data to create a 3d model of the castle. The results were remarkably good considering none of the footage was shot with photogrammetry in mind, it was frame grabs from compressed video used as input, and it was not a high spec drone!

Here's a short rendered flyaround of the model. Undoubtedly the model could be better and more accurate with a bit more work, but as a quick project done in some downtime on site it is pretty good.

Last edited:
It was done with Reality Capture. Some pretty serious hardware is needed to do the transposing from hundreds of 2d images into a 3d mesh. It can take several hours on a powerful computer!

A couple of years ago I did a few flights with a humble Mavic Mini (1) around the ruins of a castle and produced a short video:

I was recently doing some work that involved some photogrammetry and this gave me the opportunity to try using some legacy video footage as input data to create a 3d model of the castle. The results were remarkably good considering none of the footage was shot with photogrammetry in mind, it was frame grabs from compressed video used as input, and it was not a high spec drone!

Here's a short rendered flyaround of the model. Undoubtedly the model could be better and more accurate with a bit more work, but as a quick project done in some downtime on site it is pretty good.

love this!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC