DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photos for a realtor friend

Kyle76

Reactions
Am I allowed to take aerial shots as a favor for a friend in the real estate business if I get no compensation? I don’t have any FAA permits.

Am I allowed to take aerial shots as a favor for a friend in the real estate business if I get no compensation? I don’t have any FAA permits.

You can only fly for Hobby/Recreation without Part 107. You can not Hobby/Recreate for any other person or entity. The Realtor friend should also know this because it's been hammered into their heads (many ignore it trying to save a $$) for a few years now.

It's also important that IF (and I stress IF) there is an incident and fines are involved, your Realtor friend is also liable just as much as you are. Also they agree to a Code of Ethics every year or so and this would be a clear violation of that.

I'm an FAA Safety Team Representative (Charlotte NC region) and not just speaking "internet gossip" on this matter.

I had found this concerning the person who hires an non-certified pilot - this was NOT sent to me but just what I found in another forum

1595606910746.png

I had found this concerning the person who hires an non-certified pilot - this was NOT sent to me but just what I found in another forum

View attachment 108745

Excellent find @Mavic Mac . I looked for that in my bookmarks but couldn't find it.

Keep in mind that initially it says "Hires" but later goes on to also say the person who "causes the operation" meaning hiring/$$ are not the only criteria.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Excellent find @Mavic Mac . I looked for that in my bookmarks but couldn't find it.

Keep in mind that initially it says "Hires" but later goes on to also say the person who "causes the operation" meaning hiring/$$ are not the only criteria.
I actually sent it to a real estate agent after having a brief discussion with her. I had asked if their office used drones and she said "Oh there is some guy in the office that does it." I then asked the question if he was certified or licensed and her response was "No". I explained to her the possible consequences and she thanked me and said she would never use him. Once I got back to my computer I sent her a copy if it, just to assure her I wasn't "blowing smoke"

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra and BigAl07
I actually sent it to a real estate agent after having a brief discussion with her. I had asked if their office used drones and she said "Oh there is some guy in the office that does it." I then asked the question if he was certified or licensed and her response was "No". I explained to her the possible consequences and she thanked me and said she would ever use him. Once I got back to my computer I sent her a copy if it, just to assure her I wasn't "blowing smoke"

I would like to see NAR (National Association of Realtors) be more proactive about this but when they "hinted" about it in 2016 their membership lost their minds and created an uproar. They "hinted" at requiring Part 107 verification before images could be uploaded to MLS... great idea IMHO but it died an early death LOL

Thanks. I was just looking for that one to explain to a buddy of mine...

Edit: And now that I've seen the text again and run a better search, I believe this may be the source for my previous encounter with it:

You can only fly for Hobby/Recreation without Part 107. You can not Hobby/Recreate for any other person or entity. The Realtor friend should also know this because it's been hammered into their heads (many ignore it trying to save a $$) for a few years now.

I have occasionally shared an aerial photo of a neighbor's house or friend's house while flying above my own lot or when I was flying in Seaside, Or and took an aerial of my friend's place.

Is that permitted? I was doing it for me but after, realized I had a nice shot and shared it with others?

I have occasionally shared an aerial photo of a neighbor's house or friend's house while flying above my own lot or when I was flying in Seaside, Or and took an aerial of my friend's place.

Is that permitted? I was doing it for me but after, realized I had a nice shot and shared it with others?

That's exactly what IS permitted. You flew as a hobbyist with no INTENT to sell/share/promote in any capacity. The FLIGHT was done legally and what happens to the DATA you created after-the-fact is of no concern to the FAA. The FLIGHT was purely Hobby/Recreational. Later (minutes, days, YEARS) you see value in your DATA (or someone offers to purchase your DATA) then by all means share/sell/promote.

But going up with the INTENT to create DATA for someone else is in no way Hobby/Recreational.

I have yet to meet a real estate agent who has any knowledge or concerns about using drones. There is a collective ignorance on the subject. When I’m flying in restricted areas I always attach the approval reference, my license and drone registration with any video or photography.

Reactions: ff22 and bcfd29
By asking a question such as this on this site, you are just asking for someone to tell you it isn’t proper or within acceptable guidelines. There are too many “nannies” among us with a tendency to overlook the toddler stage of this pastime in favor of pushing a slate of limiting restrictions.

I WOULD DO THE FAVOR FOR THE FRIEND and would be comfortable in doing so. The key words here are FAVOR and FRIEND. Stay well, stay safe and enjoy.

By asking a question such as this on this site, you are just asking for someone to tell you it isn’t proper or within acceptable guidelines. There are too many “nannies” among us with a tendency to overlook the toddler stage of this pastime in favor of pushing a slate of limiting restrictions.

I WOULD DO THE FAVOR FOR THE FRIEND and would be comfortable in doing so. The key words here are FAVOR and FRIEND. Stay well, stay safe and enjoy.

No, the keywords here are RECREATIONAL and NOT. You may feel fine about breaking the law and bragging about it on a public forum, but do everyone else a favor and keep that to yourself. The OP clearly came here looking for clarification on the regulations, not encouragement to break them.

I agree with sar104. I am a realtor who is working on getting my Part 107. The OP may not being getting paid but the realtor certainly is and it may be the picture or video that the OP took that attracted the buyer.
I also was a contractor who paid to get licensed, bonded and insured only to be out bid by people that didn't follow the law. Then when they screwed something up they would leave and the owner had no recourse. To me this is the same. People pay and get additional information to help them be responsible pilots and then others don't. Just follow the law. Its not that hard and then you don't have to worry about if you are doing things legally or not.

Reactions: julius13
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten.

Reactions: BigAl07

By asking the question on here the OP was doing the SMART thing by asking to get advice and input from people who might be "In the know". Instead of just DOING and and then hoping for the best the OP reached out and ASKED FIRST!

Fortunately some of us "nannies" that you mention are also well informed and work with the FAA and actually know what we are talking about.

FAA Safety Team Representative (Manned Aviation, Charlotte NC Region)
FAA Safety Team Representative
(Drone Pro, Charlotte NC Region)

Absolutely HORRIBLE advice. It's so easy to give anonymous BAD advice on the internet when you have nothing to lose from HORRIBLE advice. The very REAL fact of the matter is the OP and the Realtor could both face repercussions should they decide to follow such HORRIBLE advice.

By "doing this favor" for your friend you make them Culpable for the crime just as much as you are. I wouldn't "appreciate" a friend of mine pulling such a stunt as that.

The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten.

Some of our most "profitable" work has been going back and reshooting those lowball projects LOL.

Not advisable and very poor advice.

No, the keywords here are RECREATIONAL and NOT. You may feel fine about breaking the law and bragging about it on a public forum, but do everyone else a favor and keep that to yourself. The OP clearly came here looking for clarification on the regulations, not encouragement to break them.
Laws have not been broken, or at at least none that I’m aware of.

The person was asking for an opinion, not a decision or a ruling from an indisputable authority. That’s why it’s called a forum as that’s how I WOULD approach this for a friend. Having said that, I can’t speak to the real estate side of this favor or the closeness of the relationship.

By asking the question on here the OP was doing the SMART thing by asking to get advice and input from people who might be "In the know". Instead of just DOING and and then hoping for the best the OP reached out and ASKED FIRST!

Fortunately some of us "nannies" that you mention are also well informed and work with the FAA and actually know what we are talking about.

FAA Safety Team Representative (Manned Aviation, Charlotte NC Region)
FAA Safety Team Representative
(Drone Pro, Charlotte NC Region)

Absolutely HORRIBLE advice. It's so easy to give anonymous BAD advice on the internet when you have nothing to lose from HORRIBLE advice. The very REAL fact of the matter is the OP and the Realtor could both face repercussions should they decide to follow such HORRIBLE advice.

By "doing this favor" for your friend you make them Culpable for the crime just as much as you are. I wouldn't "appreciate" a friend of mine pulling such a stunt as that.
No, he was asking for an opinion based from someone who MIGHT have greater knowledge than he: an opinion. There are no judicial level authorities on this site so far as I know. If so, it is not a forum.

Anonymous????? My name and a current and fully identifiable headshot is tagged to every post, is yours?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme