DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photos taken sometimes 3840 x 2160 instead of 4000 x 3000

mkjo

Reactions
Hello,

After a few flights with my new Mavic, I wonder what causes the following effect:
My camera settings are 4K video and 4000x3000 photo. During a test flight, I pressed the video button to record some videos and in the meantime, I pressed the photo button. I also tested some of the fancy object tracking features.
Now some of the photos on the SD card are in a 3840x2160 resolution, and some of them are made as expected in 4000x3000.
The quality of the 3840x2160 pictures is worse than the 4000x3000 ones. The "normal" photos are looking good for the sensor the mavic uses.
I didn't change picture settings during the flight (at least not on purpose).
Now I am wondering what caused this behaviour. I also coldn't reproduce the the lower resolution photos.
Any ideas?

If you're recording video and you take a photo at the same time you're essentially getting a frame grab of the video, which you have set to 3840x2160 4K resolution.

Reactions: Kilrah
Hello,

I'm still not sure whether the described behaviour is a bug:
While flying around, i switched frequently between video mode (4k) and photo mode.
Suddenly, the photo mode kept "hanging" in the video mode:
The settings (in the app the symbol below the red release button on the right) were still for Video and the live video screen resolution was 16x9 (instead of 4x3).
Though, the icon for switching between video and photo showed the camera mode. Also, pressing the photo button on the remote released a photo.
After switching again to video and back a few times, the mode "healed" sometimes, and I was able to set photo parameters like HDR,exposure, etc.
So it looks for me more like a bug in the APP...?

Did anybody observed such a behaviour?
Even there was no real crash in the app, the app "feels" a little bit fragile.

You're just beeing too impatient.
Once you stop a video recording it takes several seconds until it finishes processing the file and a switch to photo mode is taken into account.

Reactions: mkjo
Now I have the answer:

If you use some of the special flight modes (e.g. ActiveTrack), then photos will be taken in video resolution if you remain in this mode!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots