DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 [Photos] Wattle and Daub Constructed Ruins

Alexander Of Oz

Reactions
A mix of buildings in various states of decrepitude that I found on a recent trip through some country regions of South Australia a couple of weeks back.

Wattle and Daub construction was popular in use with early settlers in many countries as it was literally just sticks/trunks/branches stuck in the ground and then caked with mud/clay mixes with various types of aggregate in that, depending on what was available at the location of the build.

Unfortunately here in South Australia, most of these structures have not been maintained and as a result it is now becoming rarer to find any of the covering materials still on the structures or even on the sites, as it has disintegrated back to the dirt/husks/stone/leaf/fine stick of which it was originally made.

50380549243_f54bd96d0d_o.jpg

50381251016_d44bb97bb0_o.jpg

50381425807_4068e16a0a_o.jpg

50380549003_0886f893ca_o.jpg

50381425892_daaba1c2f7_o.jpg

50380548888_479abc4b75_o.jpg

50381250781_65f6f6b01f_o.jpg

50380548843_77f89e1f2d_o.jpg

50381250661_bd8153c1af_o.jpg

Hello Alex, Gary Leete here from Victoria...where I am locked up !! thanks to our Dan Andrews the premier of our state.
As you know we have been like this for about 3 months now but hopefully the end of the restrictions will end soon.
I have travelled all that area especially around Burra also in SA and the area from there up to the flinders rangers make wonderful subjects to drone photography. You should take some and post them for our international audience.
Are you shooting in JPG+Raw, and using the 48Mp setting....if so are you then processing that through L/Rm and or PS
You look as though you, like me come to this genre of photography from the digital world. If lets know your processing routine as I and others will be interested

A mix of buildings in various states of decrepitude that I found on a recent trip through some country regions of South Australia a couple of weeks back.
Hi Alexander,
these are some other masterpieces! Fantastic pics of the old rotten buildings, thanks for sharing I love much your subjects!Thumbswayup
cheers Paul

Hello Alex, Gary Leete here from Victoria...where I am locked up !! thanks to our Dan Andrews the premier of our state.
As you know we have been like this for about 3 months now but hopefully the end of the restrictions will end soon.
I have travelled all that area especially around Burra also in SA and the area from there up to the flinders rangers make wonderful subjects to drone photography. You should take some and post them for our international audience.
Are you shooting in JPG+Raw, and using the 48Mp setting....if so are you then processing that through L/Rm and or PS
You look as though you, like me come to this genre of photography from the digital world. If lets know your processing routine as I and others will be interested
Hey Gary, I feel for you buddy! It's pretty crazy times at the moment with the lockdowns, but this is the perfect time to explore our own backyards for the hidden gems we may have overlooked!

Funny you should mention that area, I was out near Orroroo documenting a range of ruins a week and a bit ago for a week! Lots of aerial photographs to share from there of the ruins, not of the touristy type images of landscapes though. I was tight on time and had to stick to a schedule. I will be back there soon though and am making time to do the touristy thing too while in the region again.

I've been capturing primarily as the 12MP RAW files for my photo's, using graduated ND's when needed, to even out exposure across the sensor so it copes better with the dynamic range. Very basic editing in LR Classic. I toyed with the 48MP captures but honestly see very little difference between them and if anything am getting slightly cleaner shadows with the 12MP captures!

I am a manual shooter, as much as is possible with any camera I use and that's what the MA2 is for me, a camera with wings!

Hi Alexander,
these are some other masterpieces! Fantastic pics of the old rotten buildings, thanks for sharing I love much your subjects!Thumbswayup
cheers Paul
Hey Paul. Thanks again, I'm so glad you're enjoying them!

I thoroughly enjoyed your images of these deteriorated structures. They are wonderful.

Wattle and Daub construction was popular in use with early settlers in many countries as it was literally just sticks/trunks/branches stuck in the ground and then caked with mud/clay mixes with various types of aggregate in that, depending on what was available at the location of the build.

Unfortunately here in South Australia, most of these structures have not been maintained and as a result it is now becoming rarer to find any of the covering materials still on the structures or even on the sites, as it has disintegrated back to the dirt/husks/stone/leaf/fine stick of which it was originally made.

Very interesting subjects, something I’ve never seen before. Well done.

Reactions: Alexander Of Oz
I thoroughly enjoyed your images of these deteriorated structures. They are wonderful.
Thank you so much, Dale. I am yet to venture into exploring aerial video capture but will keep an eagle eye out for your feedback when I share something!

Very interesting subjects, something I’ve never seen before. Well done.
Thank you very much, it is a rather different presentation of them as compared to on the ground.

Fixer upper..choice location, Mature trees on property and protected by sturdy gate.
From the air I see places like that here in the west. Most of the time with no access. The Mines I can understand but others...you wonder..when ..why..what the nearly impossible hardships must have been and what led to them just being abandoned.
Looking at your photo's the ...imagination goes crazy..thanks for sharing!

Great shots, makes me wonder who lived there.

Fixer upper..choice location, Mature trees on property and protected by sturdy gate.
From the air I see places like that here in the west. Most of the time with no access. The Mines I can understand but others...you wonder..when ..why..what the nearly impossible hardships must have been and what led to them just being abandoned.
Looking at your photo's the ...imagination goes crazy..thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you enjoyed them @hiflyer201 With most of these places they have fallen into disrepair as a result of agriculturalists buying larger parcels of land holdings to grow upon and these structures are viewed as inconveniences, unfortunately. Something to be driven around when harvesting, possibly another hundred square metres of growing yield space!

Great shots, makes me wonder who lived there.
Thanks, and that is part of what I am undertaking with these sorts of places, creating histories and stories of these places and the connections people had with them. It's a slow process, but should be worth it in the end!

A mix of buildings in various states of decrepitude that I found on a recent trip through some country regions of South Australia ........

Lovely work Alexander.....and a safe flight height with maximum effect!
I am venturing through the mid-north heading for Rawnsley Park caravanning near Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges by the end of the year.
How close are these homesteads to the Goyder Line?
"After inspecting northern pastoral lands devastated by a drought in 1864–65, Surveyor-General George Woodroffe Goyder advised the colonial government to discourage farmers from planting crops to the north of a line delineating the extent of the 12-inch (30cm) annual rainfall.
Goyder’s findings were embodied in the first schedule of the Waste Lands Alienation Act 1872, which permitted farmers to purchase land on credit only within designated agricultural areas.
The law was short-lived; favourable seasons in the north encouraged the government to pass Act No. 22 of 1874 repealing the 1872 Act and allowing the sale of land under credit agreement outside ‘Goyder’s Line’. A run of bad seasons in the 1880s halted the northward progression, forcing many farmers to abandon their homesteads and, more often than not, a severely eroded landscape."

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 5.45.16 pm.png

Reactions: Alexander Of Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121