DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photos will not cache on Mavic 3 with RC Pro Controller SD Card or not...

dwebb944t

Reactions
HI All,

I am new to the forum, thanks for any help in advance. I did search in the RC Pro forum and read many threads and can't find an answer. Little background, I am a professional real estate photographer and have been flying MA2 drones for my work for about two years, obviously I am a Part 107 pilot and also if anyone cares a private pilot for 20 years.

Since upgrading to the Mavic 3 and RC Pro controller I have to say, I am genuinely questioning if it was worth the extra $2500 over say an Air 2s. If it were not for the requirement of being able to fly in a hot environment (never over 104*F) I would sell or return the RC Pro and Mavic 3 and go back to my Mavic 2 drones, the workflow so far is a serious downgrade for little to no upgrade in my work product (90% of what I do does not require anything more then bracketed photos and 4k60 d-log or whatever DJI calls their flat profile)

My biggest gripe is not being able to get the photos I take during a flight cached so I can review before I leave the client site, and no I cannot afford to leave the drone on when it is 103 degrees out and I have 4 more shoots to get to, batteries etc...).

I have two questions that hopefully someone can help with:

1. How do I get the photos to cache to the controller? I have done the following:

a: Set the cache to it's highest setting.
b: set the SD card on the RC Pro as the destination
c: Alternately I have set the internal memory as the destination
d: tried with and without the SD card in the controller

The result is the videos cache and the photos DO NOT. I have looked through the SD card and the internal memory every which way I can and they are not there.
I have also (stopped and this makes no sense to have to do this) landed the drone, gone to the DJI Fly App, selected the photos on the drone, downloaded them to the controller, gone back to the DJI Fly App album on the controller tab and the photos are there but this is stupid, I may as well land the drone, turn it off and screw around with the SD card, etc.. defeats the whole purpose. I remember with my AIR 2 when I flew with my iPhone the photos would cache to my phone, no Manuel transfer, no waiting with the drone still on. The whole idea of a cache!

2. After wasting time "downloading" the "cache photos" to the controller and presumably to the SD card in the controller, silly me thought when I get back to the office I could just pop the card out of the SD controller instead of fight with the drone (what a stupid place for the SD card on the new MAVIC 3, for me anyway I have to take the battery out etc... ridiculous) ... of course only the cache videos are on the card. ...not the full res videos and not the photos at all.

So how do you get the full res files off of the drone with the controller? At this point I assume you can't.. so the $1300 controller has an SD card slot to watch movies from??? what is the point? (sorry I am ranting).

If I could just be able to review the photos I took on the controller after landing and shutting down the drone with my client I would be happy for now hoping that DJI does something to fix this... And maybe make the overpriced controller work with my Air 2 drones. I apologize if there is already a thread with the answers but I couldn't find it and couldn't find the answer in the manuals or anywhere else on the internet (I could find plenty of people pissed off like me about this overpriced product). At least if I would have bought the triptek I could use it with other drones, I just don't see how the RC pro is worth it, lets hope DJI fixes it, it seems to be a really nicely designed piece of hardware but the software sucks.

Reactions: danwnz and jay2020
HI All,

I am new to the forum, thanks for any help in advance. I did search in the RC Pro forum and read many threads and can't find an answer. Little background, I am a professional real estate photographer and have been flying MA2 drones for my work for about two years, obviously I am a Part 107 pilot and also if anyone cares a private pilot for 20 years.

Since upgrading to the Mavic 3 and RC Pro controller I have to say, I am genuinely questioning if it was worth the extra $2500 over say an Air 2s. If it were not for the requirement of being able to fly in a hot environment (never over 104*F) I would sell or return the RC Pro and Mavic 3 and go back to my Mavic 2 drones, the workflow so far is a serious downgrade for little to no upgrade in my work product (90% of what I do does not require anything more then bracketed photos and 4k60 d-log or whatever DJI calls their flat profile)

My biggest gripe is not being able to get the photos I take during a flight cached so I can review before I leave the client site, and no I cannot afford to leave the drone on when it is 103 degrees out and I have 4 more shoots to get to, batteries etc...).

I have two questions that hopefully someone can help with:

1. How do I get the photos to cache to the controller? I have done the following:

a: Set the cache to it's highest setting.
b: set the SD card on the RC Pro as the destination
c: Alternately I have set the internal memory as the destination
d: tried with and without the SD card in the controller

The result is the videos cache and the photos DO NOT. I have looked through the SD card and the internal memory every which way I can and they are not there.
I have also (stopped and this makes no sense to have to do this) landed the drone, gone to the DJI Fly App, selected the photos on the drone, downloaded them to the controller, gone back to the DJI Fly App album on the controller tab and the photos are there but this is stupid, I may as well land the drone, turn it off and screw around with the SD card, etc.. defeats the whole purpose. I remember with my AIR 2 when I flew with my iPhone the photos would cache to my phone, no Manuel transfer, no waiting with the drone still on. The whole idea of a cache!

2. After wasting time "downloading" the "cache photos" to the controller and presumably to the SD card in the controller, silly me thought when I get back to the office I could just pop the card out of the SD controller instead of fight with the drone (what a stupid place for the SD card on the new MAVIC 3, for me anyway I have to take the battery out etc... ridiculous) ... of course only the cache videos are on the card. ...not the full res videos and not the photos at all.

So how do you get the full res files off of the drone with the controller? At this point I assume you can't.. so the $1300 controller has an SD card slot to watch movies from??? what is the point? (sorry I am ranting).

If I could just be able to review the photos I took on the controller after landing and shutting down the drone with my client I would be happy for now hoping that DJI does something to fix this... And maybe make the overpriced controller work with my Air 2 drones. I apologize if there is already a thread with the answers but I couldn't find it and couldn't find the answer in the manuals or anywhere else on the internet (I could find plenty of people pissed off like me about this overpriced product). At least if I would have bought the triptek I could use it with other drones, I just don't see how the RC pro is worth it, lets hope DJI fixes it, it seems to be a really nicely designed piece of hardware but the software sucks.
You haven’t heard anything on this? I am unable to view my photos on my Air 2 with smart controller. I can only see the cached videos. Can’t find a fix either.

Yeah this really annoys me as well, because I purchased this drone primarily for photography and was under the impression that these cached to the controller, and I specifically purchased the micro sd for this purpose to be a backup, if touch wood this never happens, my drone never came back home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut