DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Photoshop HDR Toning Adjustment Before and After

cgmaxed

Reactions
This image was purposely taken toward the sun. The drone was shooting in HDR, but the foreground still came out quite dark. Photoshop has a feature in the Image Adjustments tab Called HDR Toning. Here is the before and after HDR Toning applied. Now if you can help me reduce the haze a little bit. Do I need a plugin?MAX_2319.JPGMAX_2319after.JPG

Last edited:
You're expecting a LOT from that sensor shooting directly AT the sun and wanting detail in the foreground.

Are you shooting in RAW? If not, and maybe if so, you lose a LOT of DATA because the sun is blowing things out badly.

TONING is a common component in almost all HDR software programs and processes.

Reactions: KaiservonPoopChute
Your first one looks dark, of course. The processed one looks washed out. Good luck with that.
I can see that. I sent it through the HDR toner filter and Raw processing . Well, It's hazy, but I got the foreground to come out. I'm not really happy with the results though.

Couple tips: 1) shoot RAW; 2) shoot a 5 image bracket; 3) use Adobe Lightroom (my preference) or Adobe Camera RAW; 4) edit 2 or 3 of the best exposed for the sky and ground>save as TIF or open as layers from LR; 5) with a clear demarcation line between the ground plane and sky, it's an easy mask in Photoshop, so open the 2-3 images as layers in PS>Auto-align layers>add an empty mask for the layer above and add a tight gradient as your mask. You'll have a final image with the sunset sky and ground plane better exposed. Save the PSD, save a flattened TIF, then export as a jpg or png for web viewing.
Typically, a good sunset pic has a silhouette or reflection element and good clouds & colors. A sunset without colorful clouds or haze isn't interesting enough.

Reactions: BigAl07
Couple tips: 1) shoot RAW; 2) shoot a 5 image bracket; 3) use Adobe Lightroom (my preference) or Adobe Camera RAW; 4) edit 2 or 3 of the best exposed for the sky and ground>save as TIF or open as layers from LR; 5) with a clear demarcation line between the ground plane and sky, it's an easy mask in Photoshop, so open the 2-3 images as layers in PS>Auto-align layers>add an empty mask for the layer above and add a tight gradient as your mask. You'll have a final image with the sunset sky and ground plane better exposed. Save the PSD, save a flattened TIF, then export as a jpg or png for web viewing.
Typically, a good sunset pic has a silhouette or reflection element and good clouds & colors. A sunset without colorful clouds or haze isn't interesting enough.
Thanks for your input. I'll do what you suggested.

Here is an AEB 5 photo HDR from photoshop after processing. I like it, but I think it could use some work. Everyone sees things differently though. I think I allowed for to much edge glow and maybe oversaturated or cartoony. Or maybe it's fine. Just depends on who's eyes are looking at it.HDR-4 resized for upload.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Zeprider
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

The sky is a little oversaturated, but it looks pretty good. I'd add a lens flare in post since you already have a flare element.

I took a little stab at your photo. First off I got rid of the typical green flare that Autel drones produce when shooting into the sun. I then made some minor adjustments. Mostly by masking the top section so the sun was not so over powering. I'm no expert so what I did might not be what you had in mind. I always say if your happy with the way your photo looks then thats all that matters. ;)
MAX_2319.jpg

Reactions: merak75
The lesson here is that if you have to spend a lot of time editing a photo, it’s probably not very good. A sunset photo is less about the sun than the clouds. Assume everything else is black. The palm tree silhouette is the classic sunset photo. Your ground plane isn’t doing much to help a boring sunset.
Of course, you can’t always predict a great sunset. You wait to see what happens. Sometimes the sun drops into the haze and you get nothing, other times the sun colors the clouds before and after sunset. Be prepared to launch 2 or 3 times to capture the evolution.
In this clip, the sky after sunset is set off by reflection, silhouette and parallax effect moving through the trees. Ignore the jerky movement, it’s an old clip from a P3.

Last edited:
I took a little stab at your photo. First off I got rid of the typical green flare that Autel drones produce when shooting into the sun. I then made some minor adjustments. Mostly by masking the top section so the sun was not so over powering. I'm no expert so what I did might not be what you had in mind. I always say if your happy with the way your photo looks then thats all that matters. ;)
View attachment 133344
Thanks

Here is my latest attempt at HDR in photoshop with Air 2S AEB 5pics mergedAir 2S 5 AEB HDR-8.jpg. I think it came out pretty good. I dimmed the sun quite a bit. Made it orange rather than white. PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO SEE IT'S FULL QUALITY.

Last edited:
The lesson here is that if you have to spend a lot of time editing a photo, it’s probably not very good. A sunset photo is less about the sun than the clouds. Assume everything else is black. The palm tree silhouette is the classic sunset photo. Your ground plane isn’t doing much to help a boring sunset.
Of course, you can’t always predict a great sunset. You wait to see what happens. Sometimes the sun drops into the haze and you get nothing, other times the sun colors the clouds before and after sunset. Be prepared to launch 2 or 3 times to capture the evolution.
In this clip, the sky after sunset is set off by reflection, silhouette and parallax effect moving through the trees. Ignore the jerky movement, it’s an old clip from a P3.
That video is beautiful. I need to get out of my house more often and look for better subject matter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S