DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PICS* Mavic pro 2 not linking to control. Linking light on drone is orange when powered on. Radio channel quality poor.

xanthic

Reactions
Hello,
I’m having trouble linking mavic pro 2 (latest firmware) with the paired controller. I’m using IOS iPad Air 2 software version 14.7.1.
also have it paired with an iPhone but get the same results.

problem w/drone- drone not linking with control. After drone is turned on
the lights on the drone blink yellow (indicating disconnected)?
When drone is turned on the round led light next to the square
linking button displays an orange light then turns off.
I’ve seen it turn red once but now the only time the Linking
orange light turns on is when the drone is turned on.
No other colors appear, even when I’ve tried linking the drone
to the control via cable inserted into the drone and control.
nor has the color changed on the drone when I’ve tried other
linking procedures.

problem w/control- control shows radio channel quality as POOR.
Advises strong interference detected.

Under IMAGE TRANSMISSION SETTINGS
CHANNEL MODE is set to CUSTOM & I cannot change it to AUTO.
I cannot change any settings on dBm/MHZ
(see accompanying pictures)

I have tried linking by connecting the drone and control via Cable,
Or entering the device through the connecting aircraft step
And entering the camera view and then linking the remote through the app.
I’ve also tried downloading the previous firmware.this didn’t work so I redownload the latest firmware. I bought the drone used and it worked fine until I updated it.

No matter what I do the results are the same. The round orange light is light up when I turn the drone on, and get the same readings on the control. When drone is trying to link, no lights red or green appear on the round light next to the square black Link button on the drone.

Any input is appreciated. I can provide additional information if requested.

Have a great day and Fly safe!
Alex

Attachments

• 8A4DC5E1-417C-4E99-B9F4-5112037D01ED.jpeg
    8A4DC5E1-417C-4E99-B9F4-5112037D01ED.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 062672F1-2C8B-4B61-B0CC-1435232E0CD5.png
    062672F1-2C8B-4B61-B0CC-1435232E0CD5.png
    350.5 KB · Views: 27
  • F0F2B0A1-D9A0-4C2F-942A-245D04BD45E9.png
    F0F2B0A1-D9A0-4C2F-942A-245D04BD45E9.png
    509.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 6C0BE5C2-5C54-41D8-8D97-C20B66B78655.jpeg
    6C0BE5C2-5C54-41D8-8D97-C20B66B78655.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 1E42B048-F8F3-4D00-A108-62471DDEFFAC.jpeg
    1E42B048-F8F3-4D00-A108-62471DDEFFAC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 4C724F64-F9CD-4D4A-BA75-63930914491A.jpeg
    4C724F64-F9CD-4D4A-BA75-63930914491A.jpeg
  • 2242B124-4351-481C-8209-7A521BB8DA80.jpeg
    2242B124-4351-481C-8209-7A521BB8DA80.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 18618EBA-99F8-474F-86C4-400C8548781A.jpeg
    18618EBA-99F8-474F-86C4-400C8548781A.jpeg
when you say you purchased the drone used ,was it just the drone or the complete package with the remote etc
also have you linked it to your DJI account

It was a complete package and only had less than 2hrs of flying time. It was all synced together. the Control has always been synced, now nothing seems to recognize each other even though they’ve always been paired.

yes I do have the drone linked with my DJI account but I’ll double check. Thank you.

Is there a memory card in the drone? If so remove it.
With the memory card removed boot the drone and controller, the phone is not necessary at this moment.
What happens?

I would NOT connect the drone and controller by cable again unless you have seen it EXPLICITLY stated somewhere that that is OK. If you have seen that somewhere please, if possible, post a link to that somewhere.
The normal linking procedure presumably uses radio waves but there is no cable connect

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a memory card in the drone? If so remove it.
With the memory card removed boot the drone and controller, the phone is not necessary at this moment.
What happens?

I would NOT connect the drone and controller by cable unless you have seen it EXPLICITLY stated somewhere that that is OK. If you have seen that somewhere please, if possible, post a link to that somewhere.
The normal linking procedure presumably uses radio waves but there is no cable connect

i tried what you suggest and took out the memory card but the same thing happened As before. Linking failed, orange light on the drone turned on for a few seconds when the drone was turned on then shut off.

still not able to link. I’ll try it again when I get one but the first attempt failed.

oh boy, I did see that linking the control via cable on two different internet websites. I’ll update you with the address as soon as I can find it

thank you for the advice!

OK, in what follows I am NOT suggesting you try the cable connection again, I am merely asking questions.
I assume you connected to controller via the normal USB socket that sits in the middle of the controller between the phone wings, is that correct?
If so, was the side entry cable i.e. the phone cable, plugged into the controller?

Whilst you have owned this drone has it ever successfully connected to the controller?
If not, was it bought from a shop or auction site etc., how long ago was it bought and was it sold as a working package?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I’m having trouble linking mavic pro 2 (latest firmware) with the paired controller. I’m using IOS iPad Air 2 software version 14.7.1.
also have it paired with an iPhone but get the same results.

problem w/drone- drone not linking with control. After drone is turned on
the lights on the drone blink yellow (indicating disconnected)?
When drone is turned on the round led light next to the square
linking button displays an orange light then turns off.
I’ve seen it turn red once but now the only time the Linking
orange light turns on is when the drone is turned on.
No other colors appear, even when I’ve tried linking the drone
to the control via cable inserted into the drone and control.
nor has the color changed on the drone when I’ve tried other
linking procedures.

problem w/control- control shows radio channel quality as POOR.
Advises strong interference detected.

Under IMAGE TRANSMISSION SETTINGS
CHANNEL MODE is set to CUSTOM & I cannot change it to AUTO.
I cannot change any settings on dBm/MHZ
(see accompanying pictures)

I have tried linking by connecting the drone and control via Cable,
Or entering the device through the connecting aircraft step
And entering the camera view and then linking the remote through the app.
I’ve also tried downloading the previous firmware.this didn’t work so I redownload the latest firmware. I bought the drone used and it worked fine until I updated it.

No matter what I do the results are the same. The round orange light is light up when I turn the drone on, and get the same readings on the control. When drone is trying to link, no lights red or green appear on the round light next to the square black Link button on the drone.

Any input is appreciated. I can provide additional information if requested.

Have a great day and Fly safe!
Alex
Watch and follow the instructions in this video. There are two binding methods, one with the controller connected to a phone and the second with just the controller - harder as you need to press a sequence of buttons on the controller. None of these methods require a cord between the controller and the drone.
If there is strong interference move to a place that has less interference. (maybe you are sitting right next to your wifi router)

You did not mention how you did the software/firmware updates. In case it matters, was it by wifi or did you use DJI Assistant 2.
btw, there are four updates, 1. DJIGo4 app, 2. Remote Controller, 3. Aircraft ie drone. 4. each Battery. It should still link even if you are mismatched on the updates, but once linked, update alerts might appear if not all matched.
from part of your discussion, make sure you are on a wooden table without metal brackets, legs, etc. and away from large metal, wifi routers, electronic interference, etc.
Do not try to link with a cable from AC to RC.
Also, the RC and AC are what are linked, not the Ipad or Iphone. (your first paragraph)
I would try the second method in the video, using the button combos outlined. (btw, your photo #7 instructions make no sense, there is no linking button on the RC, only the button combo shown in the video). However, photo #5 would indicate that the USB connection from the RC to the phone is working properly) That method eliminates the 1-phone/ipad ,the app and the usb cord and the usb connections on the phone and especially the usb port on the side of the remote (it is easily damaged if a cord is inserted the wrong way) from the equation as potential problems.
Be sure you hold the linking button on the aircraft down long enough (not just a quick push and release).

HOpe my verbage makes sense.

OK, in what follows I am NOT suggesting you try the cable connection again, I am merely asking questions.
I assume you connected to controller via the normal USB socket that sits in the middle of the controller between the phone wings, is that correct?
If so, was the side entry cable i.e. the phone cable, plugged into the controller?

Whilst you have owned this drone has it ever successfully connected to the controller?
If not, was it bought from a shop or auction site etc., how long ago was it bought and was it sold as a working package?
Hello and thank you for your questions.
to answer your question about cable connecting, what you explained was all correct.
yes the phone cable was connected and I also tried it without the phone cable connected and end result was the same. Failed to link.

I purchased the drone in May of this year. The original owner had less than two hours of flight time before I bought it. l believe it was around a year old at time of purchase.
As for the remote control, it’s always been paired with the drone since the original owner first bought it.

When the seller demoed my Mavic Pro 2 and right after I bought it, it never had issues. Then hesitating to do one but gave in because of the constant notifications I did an update around June/July and that is when this issue started and has progressively gotten worse.

sorry for the long reply, if have anymore questions please let me know.
thank you!

in short

First observation.
There elastic bands holding the front buttons in on the controller. Why?

Remove the rubber bands.
Put both the standard RC controller and all your drone batteries on charge.

Whilst everything is charging download and install 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' on PC or MAC and Install fresh versions of the Go4App on your iPhone and iPad.

I use a PC with Windows 10 and do not have a MAC.

When the standard RC controller is fully charged connect it using a Micro B USB cable to your PC or MAC. Be sure to plug the micro USB connector into the side port of the standard RC controller with the round/flat side to the top and the all flat side to the bottom.(This is important because inserting the connector the wrong way up may break the connector in the controller.) Start 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' and update the firmware to the latest V01.00.0770 version for the controller.

Fit the drone with a fully charged battery and connect it to the PC with a USB type C connector in the drones side port.
Switch on the drone and it should appear in 'Assistant 2 for Mavic'.
Check the firmware and update it also to V01.00.0770 version for the drone. (different firmware but the version numbers are the same)

Disconnect the drone and the controller from the PC or MAC.

Connect your phone or iPad to the controller (either with the supplied side cable or with a USB-lightening cable using the centre USB port on the controller) start the Go4 App.
Open up the antenna and switch on the controller.
In the Go 4 App go to the camera view and find the 'Remote Controller Settings' by clicking on the controller icon (middle top right) click on the controller icon in the left-hand menu..
Scroll this screen up to see the bottom of the page. (you should see the 'Link Remote Controller' line at the bottom)

With the drone about 3ft from the controller, Switch on the drone and click the 'Link Remote Controller'. You now have about 30seconds to press the linking button on the drone. There should also be an audible bleeping until connection is made. I think you may have to confirm the link by clicking OK in the App.

Let us know how you get on.

Magnetic interference.
I see that you are very close to and Airport; Cibola County detention centre; and like all American towns there seems to be a myriad of overhead power lines. Any one or all of those may produce interference.

Thank you all who are helping me. I very much appreciate it.
I have not been online or had time to look at my drone in a few days.

So now that I;m caught up I am going to spend the next few days dedicated to fixing this issue.
I"ll update today as I go along and try all the advice I've been given.

Thanks again!
alex

Last edited:
btw, what are the rubber bands for? Hope it's not to hold the case together, in which case that could be a whole different source of the problem. But since you said it's the same issue with ipad, that shouldn't be the problem.

First observation.
There elastic bands holding the front buttons in on the controller. Why?

Remove the rubber bands.
Put both the standard RC controller and all your drone batteries on charge.

Whilst everything is charging download and install 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' on PC or MAC and Install fresh versions of the Go4App on your iPhone and iPad.

I use a PC with Windows 10 and do not have a MAC.

When the standard RC controller is fully charged connect it using a Micro B USB cable to your PC or MAC. Be sure to plug the micro USB connector into the side port of the standard RC controller with the round/flat side to the top and the all flat side to the bottom.(This is important because inserting the connector the wrong way up may break the connector in the controller.) Start 'Assistant 2 for Mavic' and update the firmware to the latest V01.00.0770 version for the controller.

Fit the drone with a fully charged battery and connect it to the PC with a USB type C connector in the drones side port.
Switch on the drone and it should appear in 'Assistant 2 for Mavic'.
Check the firmware and update it also to V01.00.0770 version for the drone. (different firmware but the version numbers are the same)

Disconnect the drone and the controller from the PC or MAC.

Connect your phone or iPad to the controller (either with the supplied side cable or with a USB-lightening cable using the centre USB port on the controller) start the Go4 App.
Open up the antenna and switch on the controller.
In the Go 4 App go to the camera view and find the 'Remote Controller Settings' by clicking on the controller icon (middle top right) click on the controller icon in the left-hand menu..
Scroll this screen up to see the bottom of the page. (you should see the 'Link Remote Controller' line at the bottom)

With the drone about 3ft from the controller, Switch on the drone and click the 'Link Remote Controller'. You now have about 30seconds to press the linking button on the drone. There should also be an audible bleeping until connection is made. I think you may have to confirm the link by clicking OK in the App.

Let us know how you get on.

Magnetic interference.
I see that you are very close to and Airport; Cibola County detention centre; and like all American towns there seems to be a myriad of overhead power lines. Any one or all of those may produce interference.
The rubber band is attached to the remote so to attach to a lanyard. Ill go ahead and remove it and try what you suggest and follow your steps.
Good question,
I've been wanting to bring this up because I think it may have made a sometimes issue with connecting to not connecting.
As for the area, yes there is a lot of airspace restrictions and I did think it was maybe geo fencing or something.
I was in an area 2 months ago with some radio towers above away from me. I was well below and away from any guy wire anchor points and outside any warning signs as I was just trying to be safe. I took out the drone to take a picture of the family. Basically my plan was to just set the drone away from us, have the drone hover at 3-4 ft, snap a pic and then shut it down.
When I attempted to liftoff the drone was very shaky. There were winds maybe 10mph?, and I got a notification saying magnetic interference,so I aborted the first & only take off.
When I arrived home I checked it and had no issues and used it once more without any issues. Then When I went to Famington this past weekend I couldn't get it off the ground & haven't been able to since.

Last edited:
I should also add about the rubber band. It attaches to a small aluminium and carabiner and checked it with magnets. I'm thinking now that maybe I should have consulted someone first.

Aluminium is non magnetic so should be no problem, the 'good' aftermarket phone holders are Aluminium.
There are aftermarket controller holders, some better than others, and if you can get the drone flying I am sure people will venture their opinions on any that interest you.

Did you switch the controller to mode 3 (3rd photo)?

When I switch my M2Z on the "linking status indicator" does glow an orangy red for a moment then it goes out and a few seconds later glows green and stays green.
If I press the link button on the drone the "linking status indicator" glows a definite red.

Do you know anyone with a Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom that would let you try to connect your controller to their drone and their controller to your drone? I f they are nervous of that they could take the props off their droen.
Or maybe even a drone shop, it only takes seconds to do so they might not even charge.
Personally I normally use the simultaneously press "C1", "C2", "record" and "focus/shutter" buttons to trigger linking on/of the controller.

I know this is an old thread so sorry for reviving it but I just bought a second hand Mavic Pro 2 for my wife and after an update it is doing the exact same thing with no linking led and it won't link up. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa