DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Picturesque High Altitude Adventure to Columbine Lake & Lewis Mine, San Juan Mnts, Colorado!

Karlewski

Reactions

The San Juan Mountains are a very special and beautiful place studded with Sapphire Blue Lakes, Massive Jagged Vermillion colored Mountains and a Rich Mining History. We will explore it ALL and in great style with stunning drone footage illuminating many breathtaking scenes.
This was the first time out with my new Air 2s and it did not disappoint! Tracking myself on the bike, POI on mountain tops and around a Massive historical Mine/milling operation and more. I love that thing, Enjoy!

The San Juan Mountains are a very special and beautiful place studded with Sapphire Blue Lakes, Massive Jagged Vermillion colored Mountains and a Rich Mining History. We will explore it ALL and in great style with stunning drone footage illuminating many breathtaking scenes.
This was the first time out with my new Air 2s and it did not disappoint! Tracking myself on the bike, POI on mountain tops and around a Massive historical Mine/milling operation and more. I love that thing, Enjoy!
So beautiful it looks unreal!

So beautiful it looks unreal!
It got even more surreal climbing these jagged crazy red mountains a bit to the south, one lake, Ice Lake, was so blue I felt I needed to desaturate the video a bit. . .for me the mine was the highlight. It is just unimaginable to build a structure of that magnitude in such a distant and inhospitable place. Definitely no OSHA visits up there, felt crazy dangerous inside!

• Wow
Reactions: BSauce955
Thanks for sharing your incredible adventures with us. I can see the San Juan mountains from my home, but they are a long ways away.

Cheers mate ...thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
Something I have never nor will ever do ....admire your passion.
Some sections were so steep, that my laptop slid off my cushion.
Appreciate your sharing....thanks mate from Down Under.

It’s just the tip of the iceberg, these mountains are my favorites. I was thinking of moving to Montrose so I could be closer. Is that where you are Beaty? Denver is growing so fast, overrun.

Maxwell, I’ll be desperate come winter and some year soon I’m heading down under for the worst of it. Do you recommend any especially wild places there, you‘d like to see.

Wow Karlewski!! Another GREAT video!!
I really do enjoy watching your videos and am always amazed at the stunning shots you get.
I love hiking with my drone but have yet to be brave enough to try some of the stuff you are so good at.
One of you previous videos you mentioned you lost your drone ... is your new Air2s your new favorite drone?
Some of your scenes really show your confidence in the drone and its ability to return safely. Some of those scenes
make me think ... yikes that was gutsy LOL
With all the different camera equipment and stops to set stuff up and take and retake the shots - it must take you a
long time to do a hike LOL

Yea, I basically dropped my air 2 off a cliff while launching before it was completely flying, LAME! I do love the Air2s, same drone better camera. . . .and I had 3 extra batteries for it from the air2 death, even the battery in the drone survived . . .I blasted down that cliff, 300' I was bent on getting the drone, the SD card and the battery, plus leaving the dead drone would have been littering our beautiful mountains. . .
I used to be an RC glider pilot so seeing and operating a DJI GPS drone is world easier then a floppy little glider at the mercy of natural lift and crazy turbulence. My best advice for getting good with the drone, drop your yaw and gimbal setting way down to fly nice and smooth and then find a place where you are on a high point. From there, as long as you have a positive altitude # on your telemetry, you can fly with zero feet of hitting the ground. Relax, get comfortable, crank some slider moves into orbit. . . all the cool moves, top down transitions with big gimbal tilts. . . oh YEA!
Once you feel confident on the control side, then you can enter terrain BUT, there is one more key element. As your flying straight and surveying the terrain, make a mental map of threats and when you are SURE you feel confident about where they are relative to your drone, start flying sideway but only then. . . even flying diagonally forwards will allow you to see what is in your path and a cool move. . . . Last, confidence kills, I bounced my Mini2 twice flying backwards to reframe some shots. Think, if it could happen it will. . . I ALWAYS turn around now unless I have solid clearance. I set sport mode to yaw faster just to look around and INSURE I am safe BEFORE doing a fancy blind move. . . .
The drone is the only camera that takes much time and for me that is a big part of the fun! Magnetic mounts for the phone and tripod. a go pro on a selfie with a built in tripod are fast and easy to get up. The whole thing has actually enhanced my experiences many times, my head is on a swivel, I see way more awesomeness now fishing for awesome shots and I actually resting a bit during a quick setup keeping my pace from getting too fast and exceeding my VO2 max. . .leaves me with MORE strength and energy. . .

he San Juan Mountains are a very special and beautiful place studded with Sapphire Blue Lakes, Massive Jagged Vermillion colored Mountains and a Rich Mining History. We will explore it ALL and in great style with stunning drone footage illuminating many breathtaking scenes.
Hello Karl
finally I'm once again come to watch a video from you and I must say, just top class! The old mine is very interesting and fantastic -I love such rotten structures! -and the landscapes that you show us are simply overwhelming!
Thanks for showing, it was a pleasure to watch you climbing and the daring descent on the bike! Looking forward to the next adventure
😉👍👍 Cheers Paul

Hey Paul, glad to hear from you buddy! I hope your giant edits went well. I've been going adventure crazy! I had no footage of the daring bike part, I was crying like a baby while sliding down loose 45 degree sloped switch backs, it was all I could do to keep from going over the handlebars even with my feet on the ground!
Man, there is another video I made that is quite spectacular and super daring that I did not post here since there was no drone flying in that Wilderness area but WOW! I had a partner so that helped tons especially since this huge 14,000' ridge traverse was quite dangerous but, very photogenic! Please check it out. Cheers my friend, any links to the videos you edited???

Hey Paul, glad to hear from you buddy! I hope your giant edits went well. I've been going adventure crazy! I had no footage of the daring bike part, I was crying like a baby while sliding down loose 45 degree sloped switch backs, it was all I could do to keep from going over the handlebars even with my feet on the ground!
Man, there is another video I made that is quite spectacular and super daring that I did not post here since there was no drone flying in that Wilderness area but WOW! I had a partner so that helped tons especially since this huge 14,000' ridge traverse was quite dangerous but, very photogenic! Please check it out. Cheers my friend, any links to the videos you edited???
Hi Karl,
thanks for the additional info about your daring tour, that was really exciting! Pure thrill I would say. You are a mad dog, of course meant in the positive sense!
I want to watch your other video now!
By the way, I am far from done editing the "travel videos" for my buddy.He still has at least 15 terrabites of material waiting to be edited! That is really a crazy filmer!
I wish you continued success and much fun with your tours! Stay healthy and cheerful and warm greetings
Paul

Your client must cover some serious ground and have deep pockets! Just the trailer feels like a global adventure, LOL! Wow, 16K subscribers too. And you're the man behind the scenes doing the heavy lifting!

Your client must cover some serious ground and have deep pockets! Just the trailer feels like a global adventure, LOL! Wow, 16K subscribers too. And you're the man behind the scenes doing the heavy lifting!
Hi Karl, Oh yes, he has already traveled the world and is certainly not poor!🙄 For the current video, which I am cutting, (from Mauritius to Masdagascar, Johennsburg and up aslong the west coast of AfricaI to Dakar i get 400Euro. Better than nothing.
I have already cut about 16 videos for him. The longest is 3.5 hours long and the shortest 35 minutes, but most videos are on average about 2 hours long! Holy smoke he is really crazy!!
As long as I have fun editing I will continue to do so!
cheers Paul

You will love it! Darn steep hike to start but well worth it! Trekking pole were helpful up and down.

Very surreal. Light quality and scenery was stunning. Man, you really had to work for it. I gotta say though, one of the reasons I got my drones was so I could see and capture more with a lot less effort. Guess you got to get up there somehow to be close enough to capture that scenery. Amazing and great to watch all the way through.

Very surreal. Light quality and scenery was stunning. Man, you really had to work for it. I gotta say though, one of the reasons I got my drones was so I could see and capture more with a lot less effort. Guess you got to get up there somehow to be close enough to capture that scenery. Amazing and great to watch all the way through.
I love working for it. I was climbing like mad the whole time, especially rock climbing. I too expected the drone to make it "easier" but ultimately it motivates me to go higher to get better LOS to fly closer to and through towers. . . .get myself up there on top to show scale. . . I've got a few coming in a couple weeks that are drone heavy edits with some cool perspectives!

I love working for it. I was climbing like mad the whole time, especially rock climbing. I too expected the drone to make it "easier" but ultimately it motivates me to go higher to get better LOS to fly closer to and through towers. . . .get myself up there on top to show scale. . . I've got a few coming in a couple weeks that are drone heavy edits with some cool perspectives!
I really enjoyed watching some of your videos on YT. You select your climbs wisely for the most amazing scenery. One thing I think would improve your final video presentations is voiceover narration in post, which saves you some of the trouble of narrating during the climbs and allows for scripting your thoughts equal to the journey.

I have tried, and will likely try again in the future. It just comes out so much better for me in the moment, being totally candid.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada