DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Piggy back original mavic Pro battery to extend range

Knosalaa

Reactions
Is there a way to externally connect two mavic Pro batteries on top of each other to extend flying time. I did see external connectors to use other Li-Po batteries.

How do I connect them? Is there an external connector that can connect them together? Also, any modifications required to the firmware? Will it recognize both batteries and combine to total Ah?
I guess I’m asking if any one here have already done it and is there web or video instructions you could point me to for DYI if this mod on Mavic Pro?
Thanks a lot fellow pilots!

Reactions: Texas Mavic
You can use the battery clip, or you can hardwire an Xt60 connector to your internals. Then make this battery attachment out of a Mavic Pro charger. You can also make the attachment out of one of these

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: mnis
Perfect, I believe the way to go is external as I don’t like to tap in and solder wires on the inside plus additional battery is totally portable so you can flip back to stock in no time. Any info I should know as it pertains to Mavic pro firmware and operating apps (dji go 4 or lichee) How is total capacity of both batteries calculated by the system, controller and the app itself. Is the external connector serial or parallel? I know one of them doubles the voltage which is not good thing as it would burn up my mavic and the second is adding capacity but maintaining same voltage.
Could you please help me better understand this part and also reading other battery mods comments there is a very specific way to deal with main vs. accessory battery voltages. Would this be the case here as well?
Thank you!

First let me address your picture. That’s a joke? You absolutely do not want to waste your time doing that. You have to use 11.4 volt batteries that are similar to the Mavic Pro battery. The key is to have them as close to equal voltage as possible. Other wise they start to charge one another. By the looks of what you are about to attempt, I have to refer you to other battery mod discussions on the forum here. I am available to help, but lol... man do t take this the wrong way but there’s some basic stuff online about this to review before you get going. Here’s a picture of my last hover test, and the battery set Up I had.

Attachments

• 7B0A5453-27FE-42E0-92E8-7857E1696FED.jpeg
    7B0A5453-27FE-42E0-92E8-7857E1696FED.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
  • C109C9DD-59F8-4DAD-B60C-CD61D71F1621.jpeg
    C109C9DD-59F8-4DAD-B60C-CD61D71F1621.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 05B2C0B8-B84A-43D7-AB62-C96F96C1851A.jpeg
    05B2C0B8-B84A-43D7-AB62-C96F96C1851A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
So you want to deliver no more than 13 volts, at 4 amps. As equally as possible across every cell in your set up. They start overheating, in the center cell on the 3S lipos. And you want to stay as far below 400 grams of extra weight as possible. You must maintain a center of gravity that is relative to the original design. It’s very dangerous and difficult to control when it’s unbalanced. My best results have been with two Parrot AR 2.0 drone batteries. 11.4 volt 2000mah. They only weigh 117 grams a piece. They support the main Mavic battery wry well for 25 minutes, up to 28 minutes. When flying long distances the flight time seems to decline though. Hover tests are misleading because you have to subtract voltage usage, from longer flight, and the CPU usage... it’s harder math than I can figure out, but my tests tell me such.

I’m looking to use stock mavic Pro battery as the second piggyback battery in the setup. DJI has good reason why they placed original battery where it is, so putting additional mavic Pro stock battery directly above stock should be good placement for center if gravity and craft dynamics. Of course this is all conceptual from my side as I’m just using common sense with out practical testing. Does anyone on this forum have the setup I’m exploring?

I have no experience with this, but what about modding a mavic 2 battery to work with mavic 1. Will that give any advantage as it relates to flight time??

I would assume any additional battery mod should have positive impact on additional flight time. I believe chemistry and capacity’s are very similar between Mavic’s Pro and 2. I would prefer to use what I already have which are multiple Mavic Pro batteries.
One thing I’m curious about is do any one offer connector cable that is designed to connect two Mavic Pro stock batteries?

I would assume any additional battery mod should have positive impact on additional flight time. I believe chemistry and capacity’s are very similar between Mavic’s Pro and 2. I would prefer to use what I already have which are multiple Mavic Pro batteries.
One thing I’m curious about is do any one offer connector cable that is designed to connect two Mavic Pro stock batteries?
ok cool look forward to see the results

Any idea on sourcing Mavic Pro stock battery jumper to Mavic Pro battery connector (to skip cutting and soldering)?

I’m looking to use stock mavic Pro battery as the second piggyback battery in the setup. DJI has good reason why they placed original battery where it is, so putting additional mavic Pro stock battery directly above stock should be good placement for center if gravity and craft dynamics. Of course this is all conceptual from my side as I’m just using common sense with out practical testing. Does anyone on this forum have the setup I’m exploring?
Actually the best mounting position is a battery on each side. A battery on top causes variables in flight dynamics that are more difficult to control. A lot of people who do this also get gps errors more often from top mounted batteries. The goal is to maintain a stable center of gravity.

Any idea on sourcing Mavic Pro stock battery jumper to Mavic Pro battery connector (to skip cutting and soldering)?

I haven’t found them, but I believe there is a thread on here somewhere, someone found the cables. They were for the Mavic 2 I believe. It’s easier to just fabricate one yourself. Or I can do it for you.

Mavic 2 batteries have 4 cells, Mavic 1 batteries have 3 cells.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots