DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot to drone orientation icon on the bottom of the fly screen

Mine is way off to the bottom right. Any fix
If you are referring to the directional icon, by all means calibrate the compass.

It happening to me as well after the firmware update. Is pointing my drone like is behind me when it is right in front of me. I am even using now range deflectors to increase the range but still show like is behind me and is a problem because I can not know exactly where is the drone to point the antenna.

I also calibrated the drone multiples time trying to fix this.

Last edited:
Have you allowed the Fly app access to your phone location? It needs this to know where the remote is, so it can then determine what direction the drone is in from where you are. The drone's position is provided by its GPS

Sounds like Fly app is getting your phone's compass info ok then. Is your phone's gps switched on, and have you given the app permission to use it?

Yep. When I turn right or left it moves,
it just shows the drone in the wrong place
Be a little more specific by "Wrong Place". Does this mean the aircraft is facing the wrong direction? Or, if you walk away from the aircraft say 20-30 feet of so does it show "you" in the proper orientation in relation to the aircraft? These are 2 seperate issues.

The telemetry looks like is working fine. The problem is the drone position. The compass shows the drone behind me. This was working perfectly until the last firmware.

If you are referring to the directional icon, by all means calibrate the compass.
Yep .0300 and have calibrated the compass multiple times. Even took my watch off. lol
It happening to me as well after the firmware update. Is pointing my drone like is behind me when it is right in front of me. I am even using now range deflectors to increase the range but still show like is behind me and is a problem because I can not know exactly where is the drone to point the antenna.

I also calibrated the drone multiples time trying to fix this.
If your drone flies straight, its compass is already perfectly calibrated and unnecessarily recalibrating it won't make anything any better.
Your problem is not the drone's compass.

Try recalibrating the compass in your phone or tablet because that is what is affecting the directional display.

Reactions: Mavic 57
Try recalibrating the compass in your phone or tablet because that is what is affecting the directional display.
That is TBD, from the OP's description. The directional display is transmitted from the aircraft. The position in relation to the OP is both related to the the device GPS and the aircraft. This one is a bit confusing without a more detailed description.

Reactions: cloneme
That is TBD, from the OP's description. The directional display is transmitted from the aircraft. The position in relation to the OP is both related to the the device GPS and the aircraft. This one is a bit confusing without a more detailed description.
People suggest recalibrating the drone's compass much too often and for all kinds of things completely unrelated to it.
And they are usually wrong.

Last edited:
The fact that it was working fine before the firmware update tells us something.

People suggest recalibrating teh drone's compass much too often and for all kinds of things completely unrelated to it.
And they are usually wrong.
Competely agreed. The only reason I sugested that was due to the OP's statement.

The fact that it was working fine before the firmware update tells us something.
No, it doesn't.
People blame firmware updates for all kinds of things that it has no effect on.
Almost as much as they mistakenly think recalibrating the drone's compass will fix all kinds of unrelated issues.
Competely agreed. The only reason I sugested that was due to the OP's statement.
If his drone's compass needed recalibration, he's have a lot more to complain about than the directional display.

Reactions: av80r and scooot
If his drone's compass needed recalibration, he's have a lot more to complain about than the directional display.
That is the point. Before takeoff, always make sure that the directional icon faces the actual orientation of the aircraft. Otherwise that is asking for trouble.

That is the point. Before takeoff, always make sure that the directional icon faces the actual orientation of the aircraft. Otherwise that is asking for trouble.

I try to archive this but is always looking behind me. I reset the phone networks preference, rebooted the phone, recalibrate the drone, deleted the app and reinstalled and keep doing the same thing. I have an iPhone X max. Tomorrow I will try with an Ipad Pro 11 that will be arriving to see if it does the same thing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya