DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Piloting with hand tremors?

gubagry

Reactions
Hello,

To provide some context, I live on horse property in the steep colorado foothills and am considering buying a Mavic Pro 2 (easiest to fly?) primarily so I can find horses that have escaped from the pasture, locate the source of local smoke, etc. However, I have hereditary tremors in both hands that create problems for coordinated/fine motor control.

Does anyone have experience with or know someone with poor motor control who is able to successfully fly a drone for that purpose? If so, what drone do they fly?

Thank you!

It might help to rest your fingers right on the top of the remote and push the bottom of the sticks with the tips of your fingers. I don't have the steadiest of hands, that helps me.

You can also tune the sensitivity of the joysticks, so may be able to dampen out fine-scale tremors in that way.

Reactions: Merlin23
Hello,

To provide some context, I live on horse property in the steep colorado foothills and am considering buying a Mavic Pro 2 (easiest to fly?) primarily so I can find horses that have escaped from the pasture, locate the source of local smoke, etc. However, I have hereditary tremors in both hands that create problems for coordinated/fine motor control.

Does anyone have experience with or know someone with poor motor control who is able to successfully fly a drone for that purpose? If so, what drone do they fly?

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the Mavic Forum!

I think you'll be fine as long as you stick to an open takeoff/landing area and are super cautious about watching the battery life (in case you run into trouble). Couple more tips:

- The return to home feature will be your best friend so make sure you set the return-to-home altitude high enough to clear the highest obstacles.

- Go with the Zoom model if you haven't decided. It will allow you to see what you need while staying high above obstacles

- Maybe use a small table/ TV tray to put the remote controller on. If you don't need to hold it, you can concentrate on just moving the sticks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the MP2 has tri-pod mode like the air. Tri-pod dampens some of the stick input to provide smoother video. The trade off is slower response and more distance needed to stop.

This might solve the problem.

The more I think about this, the more an X-box type of thumb control comes to mind. Maybe not for you Gubagry, but I'm sure someone with a similar condition could thumb press controls and still have steady flight. I'm not an inventor or control designer, but I'm sure someone could rig up a prototype.

I met a guy at the shooting range with hand tremors who could outshoot most of us with his S&W .357. He said training is the answer.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000