DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

pilots in vegas, phoenix, tucson how to deal with heat?

rockwind1

Reactions
I'm in vegas. anyone had any experience flying in like 110 degree weather. i know when the density altitude changes, aircraft props are not as efficient. should we expect worse battery life as the props struggle more? 80% less? 50% less? hmmmm,,,,, plus can the unit itself and the batteries handle the heat.

anyone who has ever left anything in a car parked outside in vegas knows what a puddle of goo looks like that used to be your protein bar.

i mean, I am not going to leave this in the car but,,,accidents happen. plus what if you go fly and then you run some errands on the way home, guess you should bring your kit with you if you leave the car, no?

I'm in vegas. anyone had any experience flying in like 110 degree weather. i know when the density altitude changes, aircraft props are not as efficient. should we expect worse battery life as the props struggle more? 80% less? 50% less? hmmmm,,,,, plus can the unit itself and the batteries handle the heat.

anyone who has ever left anything in a car parked outside in vegas knows what a puddle of goo looks like that used to be your protein bar.

i mean, I am not going to leave this in the car but,,,accidents happen. plus what if you go fly and then you run some errands on the way home, guess you should bring your kit with you if you leave the car, no?

Here in Vegas too, haven't been through high temps, but I am interested in your question too.

hey romar, I would messaage you but can't figure out how on here! i'm in NW. hopefully someone with some experience in these matters will post.

Reactions: Sctcorolla
hey romar, I would messaage you but can't figure out how on here! i'm in NW. hopefully someone with some experience in these matters will post.
Yea Rockwind, would like to hear from someone in some desert, I'm in Green Valley. I'm here just a couple of months, you PM by clicking on the the persons avatar, on the pop up window it will say start a new conversation, that's all I know. Let me know if you hear anything, I'm leaving for a few hours, I'll check back later, good to hear there is someone else in the Valley

I'm in the desert and have had my Mavic the longest here for sure. I'm pretty sure the first to have it.

Just recently I played with flying it. Like today. I flew it out three miles and the first battery is fine. The second battery starts okay, and then a few minutes in starts lagging, and eventually develops a 15 second delay.

Some other factors... I'm not sure. I had never seen it do this until recently. So I assume it can only be the heat right?

It's stressing me out. I could fly my P4 in the 110+ heat no problem. I worry that a black Mavic is a like a black steering wheel here. Hotter than the pits of hell

Also in Vegas (Henderson actually) and just flew in our first 100 degree days for a short time and I think the Mavic will last longer than us. With the sun and heat, I could only last about a half hour. Looking forward to going up to Mt Charleston or even Utah this summer to get out of the heat. Nice hearing from local Mavic owners. Where does everyone fly???

Vegas here too. Now that it just got hot the only flying I do now is night or very early morning. I did take it up to Mt. Charleston a couple weekends ago. It was a nice 68 degrees up there! I flew it on Saturday just as the sun was slipping down and my thermometer showed it was 98 still and it seemed to fly fine although the heatsink on the bottom was hotter than what is usually is but given the heat I guess thats normal. I like to take mine out to Apex alot. Lots of wide open desert and not much interference so you can get some good distance.

I'm in Henderson as well. So no one has regularly flown in this scorching heat it doesn't look like. I took it out his morning (100 degrees) and watched the battery temperature go up to 46 degree C. Landed soon after.

Last edited:
Heat is the enemy to electronics, and the Mavic is very compact so it's gonna get hotter quicker, in heat like that, its really detrimental to the internal components

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake