DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Pinch" vs "Thumbs" - Method Discussion

hashfly

Reactions
Firstly, I searched for this topic but did not find anything, apologies if I am duplicating an existing thread, I genuinely looked for one.

As a new pilot I'm curious as to what the more experienced members on this forum have to say when it comes to using ones thumbs vs pinching the controls with two fingers.

From what I have read / seen most advise to use the "pinching" method for the improved sensitivity.

From my experience, I flew non-gps drones (cheap hollystone types) for many years I always used thumbs. I still find myself wanting to use thumbs for my non gps drones (fast, twitchy) but am training myself to use pinching for photography with my Mini (first "real" drone).

Would love advice here, should I attempt to really focus on one method? or is my hybrid approach reasonable?

Visual for those who do not know what i am referring to

ai110138519-18-thumb-Thumbs%20or%20Pinch.jpg

I find pinching better when pulling back/down on the sticks

With limited experience I find that pinching gives me a little more control but tend to do both during a flight. Perhaps it's a preference sorta thing.

Reactions: Bobvt
I've been flying RC for most of my life, I learned using the thumb method and old habits are hard to break. Yes pinching gives you finer movement on the controls, it's just hard for me to switch. Also pinching is much easier if you have a lanyard on your RC as you don't have to worry about your grip as much with it being supported by your neck instead of your hands.

Firstly, I searched for this topic but did not find anything, apologies if I am duplicating an existing thread, I genuinely looked for one.

As a new pilot I'm curious as to what the more experienced members on this forum have to say when it comes to using ones thumbs vs pinching the controls with two fingers.

From what I have read / seen most advise to use the "pinching" method for the improved sensitivity.

From my experience, I flew non-gps drones (cheap hollystone types) for many years I always used thumbs. I still find myself wanting to use thumbs for my non gps drones (fast, twitchy) but am training myself to use pinching for photography with my Mini (first "real" drone).

Would love advice here, should I attempt to really focus on one method? or is my hybrid approach reasonable?

The problem with the Pinching is that you can accidentally touch your finger to the edge by accident which will in fact disturb how smooth your flight is.
So the Thumb method is better but demands a little more skill.

The Game Changer is when you can sit down in a car or bench as that provides an advantage that neither of the grips can provide.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm

I started with just thumbs but now I use both. The pinch is by far easier to make precise complex maneuvers. I am however still perfecting my use of the second finger for the gimbal wheel.

Reactions: Gindra
Wow, never even though about pinching the sticks, always been a thumb flyer :)
I would find other controls harder to use without my index fingers there for camera / video, and C1 C2, gimbal wheel.
I experimented with "pinching" for a while and this was exactly why it didn't work for me. With the thumb method, I can combine multiple maneuvers involving both sticks AND the gimbal wheel; not so with the pinch method.

I use both methods. When "simply flying" I us my thumbs for the sticks and my indexfingers to operate gimbal and camera. If I want to position my drone i.e. to make an automate 360 around an object while filming, I pinch to make the moves smoother and preciser.

I've always used my thumbs and wasn't aware of the pinch method although I'm used to analogue sticks on game controllers where you use your thumbs.

I'm all thumbs.

I'm all thumbs as well. I know the pinch method is probably great as well, but it will be so foreign to me if I tried it. That being said, I was gonna start a thread on the same exact subject, glad you started this thread. Going forward, I may try the pinch method.

I use thumbs during most flights. I've learned how to fly fixed wing planes with my thumbs so I'm used to that and fly multirotors the same way. I know most of the members in my clubs [EDIT] don't use thumbs. But my Mavic Pro is so easy to fly, there are times where I can pinch control if it can produce a particular effect. If I tried that while 3d flying my planes, I'd be walking out with a trash bag to pick up the mess.

Last edited:
I've been flying RC for most of my life, I learned using the thumb method and old habits are hard to break. Yes pinching gives you finer movement on the controls, it's just hard for me to switch. Also pinching is much easier if you have a lanyard on your RC as you don't have to worry about your grip as much with it being supported by your neck instead of your hands.
I use the pinch method but agree about the lanyard, hard to hold otherwise.
It also takes using the fingers for the other controls out of the equation ie the map switch button at the front. Guess I started that way so it’s habit now.

As far as fine control... regardless of method, a stick extender, like the PolarPro ones I use, will allow even finer control.

I use them as well. Such a simple change in geometry to a slightly longer throw makes a huge difference in fine control.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike