DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places in and around Bay Area to Fly

sandy80rocks

Reactions
Totally new to the drone flying scene and I got the Mini 2. Since I live in alameda it’s totally restricted zone. Looking for recommendations in and around Bay Area where can I safely fly the drone and practice it. Thanks in Advance

Hi. I'm also new to drones, flying since August, and live in the East Bay too. I recommend Cesar Chavez Park in Berkeley. It is adjacent to the Berkeley Marina and under the control of the City of Berkeley. Huge open area, very popular with kite flyers - especially on weekends. The large picnic area is popular with drone flyers, and model airplanes too. I recommend week days to avoid the kites and folks having picnics. The north area is an off-leash dog park so that's not a good spot. Also the shore lines adjacent are under the control of the East Bay Regional Park system - which has banned drones, there's also a State Marine Park to the north of Albany Beach, which is a no drone area under State Park rules.

I found Cesar Chavez park a great place to learn to fly, especially when its not crowded during the week in the early morning. Visibility is excellent and you're right next to the Bay and a cove that you can practice longer distance flight without fear of flying over people or structures. Flying up to Golden Gate Field and staying offshore over the Bay for example. Due to the proximity of East Bay Regional Parks, I've noticed on weekends that their Park Police helicopter will patrol this airspace at low altitudes - usually on weekends when more people are out in these parks - so you need to keep an eye out for it when over water or the cove.

Totally new to the drone flying scene and I got the Mini 2. Since I live in alameda it’s totally restricted zone. Looking for recommendations in and around Bay Area where can I safely fly the drone and practice it. Thanks in Advance

Alameda's not totally restricted. Check out the far west edge, by the old NAS. The northwest area, where all the distilleries are, is pretty wide open, with some altitude restrictions.

Old saying...

"It's better to beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission"

Go fly and then leave immediately. Don't fly low, buzz people or their "space" and try to return to your home spot from a different direction than where you left. Staying high and flying slowly makes the drone much harder to spot and hear.

Don't stand out there obviously flying a drone. Instead sit casually in a chair or on the ground with the controller low in your lap.

Don't spend ages getting ready to fly and then packing up again after... pull the drone already to fly out of your vehicle, turn on and fly immediately gaining altitude. When done land straight down, put the drone back into your car and leave immediately.

I've never been bothered (yet) following this general stealth approach. Confrontation is always best avoided.

Responsible drone flying is a harmless hobby but people can be real morons about it for some reason.

Try this - it works! Just stay away from annoyed and annoying people.

If you are bothered by anyone just say you realized your mistake and so you are leaving ... LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: hhung516
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada