DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places to fly in central Utah.

Gkirkham7

Reactions
Looking to see if anyone’s got any good ideas on places to fly around salt lake/Utah county, this time of year.

Looking to see if anyone’s got any good ideas on places to fly around salt lake/Utah county, this time of year.
Many Utah State Parks allow you to buy a 1-day or multiple-day permit during off peak times of the year (right now) that allow you to fly your drone from inside the park. Check out these two links but I'm sure it applies to MANY Utah state parks

Drone Regulations | Utah State Parks

Drone Regulations for Antelope Island State Park | Utah State Parks

Many Utah State Parks allow you to buy a 1-day or multiple-day permit during off peak times of the year (right now) that allow you to fly your drone from inside the park. Check out these two links but I'm sure it applies to MANY Utah state parks

Ya I’ve done a bunch of research trying to figure it out. There’s TONS of places to fly in Utah county. I’ve just already flown them a bunch haha. Just seeing if anyone has some hidden gem spots that they’re willing to share. I usually go down to Utah lake and fly and it always makes for a pretty decent time, especially right now with all the ice that’s shored up. I really want to go out to antelope island and fly. I assumed with the government shutdown I wouldn’t be able to acquire a permit. I guess I have 3 weeks to get it done before they shutter down again lol. I appreciate the reply!

I think it's legal to fly in National Forest, NOT National Park. Have you flown in Wasatch National Forest or near Kings Peak?

Attachments

• national forest.jpg
    national forest.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 23
  • wasatch.jpg
    wasatch.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 23
I think it's legal to fly in National Forest, NOT National Park. Have you flown in Wasatch National Forest or near Kings Peak?
Quite a few places along the Wasatch but not up by Kong’s peak, the snow kind of limits the options. There’s still plenty of places to fly for sure. But the snow does limit a lot too

National Forests and BLM lands are good, just not wilderness areas on them and if there’s an administrative NFZ imposed, e.g., fire or search and rescue area, etc. check the individual forest’s or BLM district official websites to be sure.

National Forests and BLM lands are good, just not wilderness areas on them and if there’s an administrative NFZ imposed, e.g., fire or search and rescue area, etc. check the individual forest’s or BLM district official websites to be sure.
Good tips. I forgot to mention Wilderness Areas.
Last time I was in Utah I was driving through Manti-La Sal National Forest and didn't realize that I could have flown there. Kicking myself for not getting the drone out to get some shots, but at the time I thought it was NFZ just like National Parks and Monuments. Now I know better. Utah is gorgeous, and I can't wait to go back.
[U]Gkirkham7[/U], please post your youtube channel so I can follow your Utah adventures. Thanks

Reactions: AMann
I recently moved to Salt Lake from Boise. Anxious to try out my Zoom here in UT.

I recently moved to Salt Lake from Boise. Anxious to try out my Zoom here in UT.
Antelope Island allows drone flights Dec, Jan, and Feb with a $15/day permit, or $30 multi day permit.

I personally think doing it this way is REALLY cool. Not only are they making money, but they are knowing exactly who's flying and where in the park. It's a win-win.

These FAA rules apply to drones heavier than 250gr. What if you use a 249gr Mavic mini in these parks? I can't find anything about this.

These FAA rules apply to drones heavier than 250gr. What if you use a 249gr Mavic mini in these parks? I can't find anything about this.

It's an old thread, but I ran across it so others will as well.

The weight only matters for registration purposes. All the other rules still apply to the lightweight drones, such as restrictions on flying over people, airspace restrictions, authorization areas, etc.

The sub-249 gram drones DO appear to be exempt from remote ID however!

And for the US, people will argue that a sub-249g drone will be able to fly over people, not once you put the prop guards on it, most likely. Unless we're talking enclosed toy drones, which apparently can fly over people? Not totally sure on that one, they'd be Category 1, I guess.

I'm gonna find out if I can fly my Tello over people! Not that the camera is worth anything.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf