DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places to fly in Marin

marinsd

Reactions
I’m new to drones - Mini 3 -(although a licensed pilot so have familiarity with airspace regs). I’m unclear as to where it’s legal to fly in Marin, as people say there are few places, but I don’t see many blanket restrictions. Under 400’ what I’m seeing so far:
  • Can’t fly in GGNRC
  • Can‘t fly in County or State parks or refuges (BUT airplane hill in Mt Tam is okay??? Ditto with Muir Beach Overlook???)
  • In Tiburon can’t fly over schools or events (but everywhere else?)
I don’t see many other restrictions. How about along the Richardson Bay shoreline. Or same on public beach around McNear’s factory? Other places?

Any guidance would be appreciated - and would be interested in getting together to fly & compare notes.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum! I use UAV Coach for such. Great resource

check the B4UFLY app. That will tell you where it's legal to fly.

Hi Neighbor! I live in the SF Bay Area as well. Do you have the B4UFLY app which was mentioned? It helps...
I see most of the ocean coast not open to drone flying, but the east side by the bay is more open. There might be some nice opportunities near the bay around Larkspur, it looks like most of Mt Tam is open except the summit drive and peak, lots around Fairfax and hills above that seems open...and then the east side of Tomales bay looks open. I have been meaning to get over there sometime and explore possible fly areas in Marin...and the rural area north to Petaluma and over towards Bodega Bay as well...

Send me a private message if you'd like to talk....

Reactions: pelagic_one
Thanks both for the B4UFLY suggestion. I have that, but it 'seems' to only show FAA/US regulated space and not local ordinances. For instance, while CA permits drones in parks, the superintendent of a park can ban them. And they all have. But the parks still show as 'clear for takeoff.' Ditto with the Marin County Parks where the County has banned all drones. But they show 'clear for takeoff.' ????

(Hermey, Mt. Tam is closed for drones, except, I've read, "Airplane Hill." I've read that in a dozen forums, BUT the folks who run Mt. Tam don't show that on the park website. So...?)

Yes, that is right....one does still have to check for local ordinances and park rules. Those aren't on B4UFLY.
I believe the reason for the "clear for takeoff" message is that the DJI software couldn't possibly incorporate all the drone regulations across the whole world. So as far as I can tell the software is limited to showing areas that are restricted airspace due to airports, military sites, national parks, or temporary flight restrictions. The city, county and state parks are not included. Nor are any local ordinances reflected in the software.
I think if a park doesn't post or make public their rules on drones, then it sounds like they aren't too serious about those.

There is no blanket no-fly regulation at California state parks, but each park manager can create a local prohibition. You have to call each park to find out if flying is ok or not. For example, I called Angel Island and was told "no flying."

As far as I can discover, there are no state parks that allow drones. Superintendents ’can’ allow them, but seems none do. Not counting on finding any. So interested in finding any other places that do allow them.

As far as I can discover, there are no state parks that allow drones. Superintendents ’can’ allow them, but seems none do. Not counting on finding any. So interested in finding any other places that do allow them.
Keep in mind if you find something interesting in a park that borders the park, if you can legally launch from outside the park you can fly over it assuming you can do so safely, vlos and all that. Their park rules can only prohibit you from flying from the park.

Reactions: carlb4u and marinsd
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters