DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plane hits drone in Oregon

Seems implausible. Thats a huge hit that crumpled the metal in such an extreme way. The story starts out with a Tello Drone being launched and we know a Tello did not do this.

The pilot of the plane also states that the drone hit the wing "tip". So how is the damage near the area where the wing mounts to the plane fuselage?

Something is not adding up.

Seems implausible. Thats a huge hit that crumpled the metal in such an extreme way. The story starts out with a Tello Drone being launched and we know a Tello did not do this.

The pilot of the plane also states that the drone hit the wing "tip". So how is the damage near the area where the wing mounts to the plane fuselage?

Something is not adding up.
No one said it was a Tello that hit the wing, it was an indoors demo.
The picture of crumpled metal is of the wing tip, which matches the pilot's description and is what he pointed to when talking with the reporter. No one made mention of nor pointed to the wing root.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Did this get posted before? Sorry, I haven't been on the forum for a few days.

Poor drone ?. This pilot must have been flying too low. We need a rule that manned aircraft can’t fly lower than 1000 feet except during take off and landing. I see the issue of innocent drones being murdered by irresponsible manned aircraft in the future getting worse. We need tougher regulations on these manned aircraft before things get out of control. Never forget

He never even said he hit a drone. He made a few comments, showed a picture of a damaged wing and that was it. The video implied it but never said it.
Here's the text in the article that accompanies the video. The incident occurred a year ago, May 29, 2018.
(KPTV) - Close calls between drones and airplanes are on the rise across the United States, including here in Oregon.

It’s a day Dale Weir will never forget. A day he involuntarily made history.
“I prefer my 15 minutes of fame to be other endeavors,” said Weir.

Last year, on May 29, Weir was flying near Aurora when he said a drone suddenly struck the wing tip of his plane.
“So immediately, the first thing I did was make sure the airplane was not damaged, particularly the controls,” said Weir.
Weir landed safely.

“I would say that I was lucky,” he said.

Investigators never found the drone or person flying it.

“I might add that the drone operator was never in any danger,” added Weir.

Weir’s story is unique in that he’s the first plausible case of a drone hitting a fixed wing airplane, according to the National Transportation Safety Board.

More story after that.
A search of the NTSB accident database didn't find the tail number of his airplane, N3193A.

The same memo, over and over again:

Drone hits plane - rarely ever depicted the other way around because that would set footing the manned aircraft was in the wrong.
Ignore detail of altitude of manned aircraft at time of incident.
Damage generally doesn't match what would be expected from a drone strike.
No drone operator.
No evidence.
But it was a drone.

Wonder when all the airspace authorities will stop letting manned craft and respective pilots have the "benefit of doubt" and issue a mandatory altitude of 1000ft? Then actually enforce it?

The same memo, over and over again:

Drone hits plane - rarely ever depicted the other way around because that would set footing the manned aircraft was in the wrong.
Ignore detail of altitude of manned aircraft at time of incident.
Damage generally doesn't match what would be expected from a drone strike.
No drone operator.
No evidence.
But it was a drone.

Wonder when all the airspace authorities will stop letting manned craft and respective pilots have the "benefit of doubt" and issue a mandatory altitude of 1000ft? Then actually enforce it?
Did I already saw that or did you just read my thoughts exactly ?

Wonder when all the airspace authorities will ... issue a mandatory altitude of 1000ft? Then actually enforce it?
You would have to come up with a good reason that existing laws and regulations should be changed and then work out how they could be enforced.

You would have to come up with a good reason that existing laws and regulations should be changed and then work out how they could be enforced.
Doesnt seem to be a requirement on drone laws but ill bite.

So manned aircraft don't hit drones. Manned Aircraft will be required to have ADS-B starting Jan. 1 which will transmit aircraft coordinates and altitude to ATC nationwide system. If the data shows non-compliance then you can enforce it. Simple

True. With the way drone use is depicted in mainstream media, justifiable reason would be to otherwise expect "imminent death to the next manned aircraft to take to the air."
Enforcement would have to come from mandatory installation of flight radios/controllers/recorders, even something GPS based that alerts said pilot of altitude when approaching 1000ft.
Maybe those are naive thoughts, maybe it would take too much time and effort for all aircraft to comply.

Inversely if a drone operator was to be summoned to provide logs of a flight on a given day, and was found to be above 400ft reprimand would ensue.

So manned aircraft don't hit drones. Manned Aircraft will be required to have ADS-B starting Jan. 1 which will transmit aircraft coordinates and altitude to ATC nationwide system. If the data shows non-compliance then you can enforce it. Simple
Life is rarely that simple.
ADSB provides altitude MSL data for the benefit of other aircraft.
It's not giving altitude AGL which could vary widely ... eg. Colorado vs Florida.
For enforcement, someone would have to calculate AGL altitude and the FAA would have to have a new group to do this and carry out enforcement actions.
Do you want to pay them to do that?

Post #10 was also suggesting a big change to existing altitude rules to benefit drones.
I can't see that happening.

a WWII aircraft flew almost directly under my drone a year ago. My drone was about 350 ft up. I was on a 25 ft cliff. He was flying so low that we made eye contact.

Reactions: cderoche
Life is rarely that simple.
ADSB provides altitude MSL data for the benefit of other aircraft.
It's not giving altitude AGL which could vary widely ... eg. Colorado vs Florida.
For enforcement, someone would have to calculate AGL altitude and the FAA would have to have a new group to do this and carry out enforcement actions.
Do you want to pay them to do that?

Post #10 was also suggesting a big change to existing altitude rules to benefit drones.
I can't see that happening.
I could build a program that cross references google earth ground altitudes with GPS data and automatically sends enforcement letters to the the offending pilots when their MSL altitude minus the ground altitude of the gps coordinate dips below 1000. It would send the enforcement letter to the address produced by cross referencing the registration# of the aircraft with the address on file for the registration and I could probably do it in 5 days and cost under $10000.

If it’s for their own safety and the safety of the skies I’m sure there would be widespread support amount pilots given their widespread and vocal concern on this matter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato