DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning a hiking trip with the Mavic

thatB00STlife

Reactions
As the title states, I will be hiking with the Mavic later this year. My father in law wants to hike up one of the mountains he grew up playing on in Colorado. It will be a three day hike, two days up one day down. He also wants me to bring my drone to get Arial footage of his childhood memory spots.

While I'm all for the hike, I'm not too sure about taking the drone. We will have our packs with our equipment, but I don't know what to do with the drone. I don't want to take it in my Fly More Combo soft bag, I want the protection from my hard case. Which leads me to having to carry it up and down the mountain. I, for the life of me, can not think of an easy way to carry the Mavic, 6 batteries, ND filters, ipad mini, spare props power bank, and other various accessories for this hike, along with all of our other gear.

How would you go about doing this? I don't want to take the bare minimum and then regret taking more stuff if I need it. Am I over thinking this?

If you do a search on ebay for "mavic pro case" youll run across this case. $8 from China and $16 from inside the US. I have them and theyre great. While not exactly a hard case theyre rigid enough for my peace of mind as long as I dont stand on my bag. They basically turn any bag into my drone kit ;)

Im doing the Everest Base Camp trek later this year and Ill be taking my MP. While Ill have porters carrying a lot of the necessary stuff I was still considering a smallish daypack with hip belts. Ill still need to carry water, a dslr, extra batteries, a solar panel, battery bank, etc.

Im assuming youre gonna be carrying a "real" hiking backpack....if thats the case a MP kit shouldnt be too much of a burden. You could ask your dad to carry the batteries...

If youre not gonna take it pics/video what did you buy it for? You might as well have bought a Phantom 4. Are you gonna regret not getting pics?

I'd personally find a way to bring it even it took finding a bigger pack or moving slower up the mountain.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 62
If you do a search on ebay for "mavic pro case" youll run across this case. $8 from China and $16 from inside the US. I have them and theyre great. While not exactly a hard case theyre rigid enough for my peace of mind as long as I dont stand on my bag. They basically turn any bag into my drone kit ;)

Im doing the Everest Base Camp trek later this year and Ill be taking my MP. While Ill have porters carrying a lot of the necessary stuff I was still considering a smallish daypack with hip belts. Ill still need to carry water, a dslr, extra batteries, a solar panel, battery bank, etc.

Im assuming youre gonna be carrying a "real" hiking backpack....if thats the case a MP kit shouldnt be too much of a burden. You could ask your dad to carry the batteries...

If youre not gonna take it pics/video what did you buy it for? You might as well have bought a Phantom 4. Are you gonna regret not getting pics?

I'd personally find a way to bring it even it took finding a bigger pack or moving slower up the mountain.
Yes, we will be taking real hiking packs. But I'm sure they're going to be stuffed with stuff. I'm taking an assortment of things and so is he plus I'm taking my gopro with accessories and my dslr. The drone is specifically for Arial footage/pics. I'll look into that case you mentioned.

Yes, we will be taking real hiking packs. But I'm sure they're going to be stuffed with stuff. I'm taking an assortment of things and so is he plus I'm taking my gopro with accessories and my dslr. The drone is specifically for Arial footage/pics. I'll look into that case you mentioned.

I'd personally take the MP before a gopro....You can take the same shots with the dslr that you could the gopro. Unless youre doing those jump in the water with selfie sticks shots lol

I'd personally take the MP before a gopro....You can take the same shots with the dslr that you could the gopro. Unless youre doing those jump in the water with selfie sticks shots lol
Go pro will be mounted on my father in law for the hike. Recording what he wants. Plus I will more than likely use it for water activities as well. I will have the dslr at the ready for the vast majority of the climb. He has specific areas he really wants arial footage of. So the drone will stay packed until we arrive at those areas, or until we come across something he didn't know of or forgot about.

Just get those cases mentioned in the 2nd post and put it in hiking bag. It's as easy as that.
I wouldn't want to lug a hard case up trails and mountains. The mavic was designed to be compact and portable.

I hope you find a case that works out for you. It sounds like a great father son trip that will make just as many memories as your father will remember from his childhood. Be safe and post some videos for us when you get back!

Reactions: thatB00STlife
I just go back from hiking out west. I had the cases mentioned in the second post. I put them in my back pack and they were very secure. I strongly recommend them. If you decide to use them get them early though so you can let them air out because whatever materials they are made out of are very odoriferous [emoji30]

I just go back from hiking out west. I had the cases mentioned in the second post. I put them in my back pack and they were very secure. I strongly recommend them. If you decide to use them get them early though so you can let them air out because whatever materials they are made out of are very odoriferous [emoji30]

I actually Googled that.... If it wasn't for technology I would be stupid.. :p

o·dor·if·er·ous
ˌōdəˈrifərəs/
adjective
adjective: odoriferous
  1. having or giving off a smell, especially an unpleasant or distinctive one.
    "spicily concocted with odoriferous herbs"
the definition of odoriferous

I wanted to say it " stinks like s#%t" but I cleaned it up for the forum[emoji4]

I use those cases to throw in my back pack for MTB rides so should work great for hiking. They do stink pretty bad when you first get them. Leave them out in the sun for a few days.

Well it seems like the cases mentioned are well up to the task. I will be ordering them. The other items will be well packed in our hiking packs. My main concern is protecting the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU