DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Planning to shoot San Francisco NYE fireworks. Any tips?

charlie.h1998

Reactions
Hey guys,

Recently I'm so inspired by this Nick Adams' NYE fireworks video, he shot in Phantom 4 Pro. So, I decide to do the same thing (if I could). Mine's Air 2S. Do you guys have any tips? What ISO, shutter speed should I set to? I will film everything in 4k 60fps Dlog.

My scratchy plan is the following:
Arrive at Treasure Island by 11 pm, set up things, take off around 11:55 pm, fly ~6000 ft (1800 m) over water to where it's good to film the fireworks. I tested my baby on a hill today and it flew over 7000 ft (2100 m) without a single problem.

1640672569277.png

Reactions: nevadariver
First tip is to check FAA regulations. Make sure you're geared up with the proper anti-collision lights, and check to see if there are any Notices to Airmen that would restrict flight in the area during the show. It looks like you're outside the controlled airspace for SFO, but you might be within other restricted airspaces.

Assuming, then that it's legal to fly, I guess my main advice would be to watch your timing, battery consumption, and wind direction. Last thing you'd want to do is fly downwind to video the show, spend too much time there, and find yourself trying to return into the wind, over water, with a rapidly draining battery!

First tip is to check FAA regulations. Make sure you're geared up with the proper anti-collision lights, and check to see if there are any Notices to Airmen that would restrict flight in the area during the show. It looks like you're outside the controlled airspace for SFO, but you might be within other restricted airspaces.

Assuming, then that it's legal to fly, I guess my main advice would be to watch your timing, battery consumption, and wind direction. Last thing you'd want to do is fly downwind to video the show, spend too much time there, and find yourself trying to return into the wind, over water, with a rapidly draining battery!
Thank you!

Were you able to get any shots? How did they turn out and what settings did you use? The 4th is a month away and I'm looking to do some recording.

I might buy some fireworks and do some tests.

Thank you!
that got a chuckle. FAA regs require you to fly within site of the drone. At 6000' you won't be anywhere near in site of the drone or does the strobe light allow you to see the drone and keep track of it over that distance?? I have not heard that point clarified. Can you fly 2 miles away at night if you can see your strobe blinking?? Personally, if there is no boat traffic below you it would seem perfectly safe and that's about all I would be worrying about.

Reactions: nevadariver
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803