DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Platinum: Reconsidering vs M2Pro

RickinWaST

Reactions
As exciting as it would be to purchase the M2Pro, I have to realistically consider my "cost-benefit" factors. In other words, what are my needs vs wants purchasing my first drone?

With a strong photography (Use a Sony a7rII) and Photoshop background I was first pulled in the direction of wanting a drone that provided good images first and video second. Oh yes, included was a reliable community for support!

After a week of research reality has set in <grin>. In the end, I'll be enjoying and sharing images/video with family/friends. The likelihood of post processing images, enlarging them for print, is simply not a realistic priority.

Oh, and then there's the financial investment up front! I was getting close to $2,000 for the M2Pro [Drone, extra batteries, landing pad, etc.]. Don't misunderstand, the M2Pro is a terrific drone.

So, I'm seriously looking at the Platinum model. Any this time, what considerations can you share?

Much thanks from this soon to be first time drone owner.

~ Rick ~

Reactions: old man mavic
I received numerous thoughts through this forum and ended up purchasing refurbished Mavic Pro from DJI and have enjoyed it immensely . You should receive additional replies from seasoned forum members here to help you . This is a exciting time for you and you’re in for a great time flying your drone.
Rick

As exciting as it would be to purchase the M2Pro, I have to realistically consider my "cost-benefit" factors. In other words, what are my needs vs wants purchasing my first drone?

With a strong photography (Use a Sony a7rII) and Photoshop background I was first pulled in the direction of wanting a drone that provided good images first and video second. Oh yes, included was a reliable community for support!

After a week of research reality has set in <grin>. In the end, I'll be enjoying and sharing images/video with family/friends. The likelihood of post processing images, enlarging them for print, is simply not a realistic priority.

Oh, and then there's the financial investment up front! I was getting close to $2,000 for the M2Pro [Drone, extra batteries, landing pad, etc.]. Don't misunderstand, the M2Pro is a terrific drone.

So, I'm seriously looking at the Platinum model. Any this time, what considerations can you share?

~ Rick ~
i like you have no desire to share stuff on social media,and as a result ,as an owner of a MMP for the past year i cannot praise mine enough i mostly fly manually and find that the flight time is more than adequate for my needs i can honestly say i have never had any issues with my mav .recently i changed over to IOS from android and i can say that the 9.7inch 6th gen ipad i am now using is a step up in picture quality and is a great size screen to see the app on i would also add that there are some great deals around at the moment both for the mavic and the ipad just make sure you purchase from a reputable DJI approved seller good luck with your new hobby yours OMM

I have a Platinum, and it's solid and dependable. Over 700 flights with no crashes, but then again, that's up to the pilot. I have made many movies that I've shared on this forum and with my friends.

I think your cost/benefit thoughts are appropriate. I must admit that I've wanted to move up to the M2 Pro, but with my cost/benefit thoughts, I'm going to wait for two things:
1) I want to skip a model and wait for the new improved version of the M2P whenever it appears. I am kinda interested in ADS-B system, even though it's not the cure-all for safe flying.
2) Take time for the regulation of drones in the US to develop to see if I want to continue. The thought here is do they become too onerous for the investment? Don't know yet.

Reactions: old man mavic
I have a Platinum, and it's solid and dependable. Over 700 flights with no crashes, but then again, that's up to the pilot. I have made many movies that I've shared on this forum and with my friends.

I think your cost/benefit thoughts are appropriate. I must admit that I've wanted to move up to the M2 Pro, but with my cost/benefit thoughts, I'm going to wait for two things:
1) I want to skip a model and wait for the new improved version of the M2P whenever it appears. I am kinda interested in ADS-B system, even though it's not the cure-all for safe flying.
2) Take time for the regulation of drones in the US to develop to see if I want to continue. The thought here is do they become too onerous for the investment? Don't know yet.
wise words i dont think the added costs involved for the second gen mavics are really worth it but that is my personal thoughts and i am sure others will disagree

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan

Wait for next year, it looks like DJI is going to release the Mavic 2 Pro plus.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I started with some cheap drones, then went to the Spark, but ultimately wanted more flight time so next came the MPP and it’s a great bird. Finally got my M2P for a little more flight time as AZ summer heat, even at dawn and dusk, shortens useable battery/flight time. I am very impressed with the camera on my M2P also.
I still have all the birds, but if I were starting out again today I’d go with the MPP after basic learning on the cheapies. I’ll be teaching my grandson to fly them soon.
Also consider the much less expensive batteries, etc for the MPP.

~ Rick ~

Budget in mind .... DONT Do It.!
MPP= Moped
M2P = Motorcycle
With no disrespect to the MPP Pilot’s

The M2P
Is the top of the food chain.
($1500drone market)

..... And don’t wait
For tomorrow is never a sure thing.!

IMO..... (and yes I’m still on fire)
over my 1 month ol M2P

.....cR

wise words i dont think the added costs involved for the second gen mavics are really worth it but that is my personal thoughts and i am sure others will disagree
When they first came out, I was hell bent on getting one. But then I thought about Polaroid cameras... they always had a new model coming out. I think it's a good thing to wait as they have been working out the bugs over the last year or so. However, I'll never get rid of my MPP. At least not until @brett8883 or someone can come up with a Super-Patcher for the M2P and +.

~ Rick ~
Anytime you look at cost/benefit the MPP blows the M2P out of the water. Frankly you could even consider the Mavic Pro OG to still be the best value in the DJI lineup.

You really have to look at the Inspire to get a true difference in video and photo quality. Sure the M2P has marginally better video and photo quality is a bit better but that’s about it.

My 2 cents

i think that when you add up all the extra things you need to be able to fly the M2P then the cost approaching 2 grand does become a factor for a lot of people ,

not just whether they can afford it ,but also can they justify spending that much on such an item.

there is always going to be a conflict between your heart and your head on whether to spend so much and really it is down to the individual to have to make that call based on their circumstances.

members on the forum can and do give their opinions based on their experiences and sometimes i think that what we say can make things harder for the person asking the question to decide on the outcome (as the song says there are more questions than answers and the more i find out the less i know )

Last edited:
So confusing and so many considerations!!! This thread has revived them all. I am turning 81 and in good health but I've been flying the Mavic Air for about a year and finally feel comfortable about it. It was a one year learning curve and I am still learning, but now I am really anxious to get the M2P for better images and video. Should I wait for another year for a better M2P??? I'd be 82 -yikes! Age is more of a consideration than money for me at this point. I love making videos and shows for friends and my 70 member photography mailing group (a lifetime of travel+photography contacts). What a dilemma!

So confusing and so many considerations!!! This thread has revived them all. I am turning 81 and in good health but I've been flying the Mavic Air for about a year and finally feel comfortable about it. It was a one year learning curve and I am still learning, but now I am really anxious to get the M2P for better images and video. Should I wait for another year for a better M2P??? I'd be 82 -yikes! Age is more of a consideration than money for me at this point. I love making videos and shows for friends and my 70 member photography mailing group (a lifetime of travel+photography contacts). What a dilemma!
dont wait enjoy life while you can you will certainly find the M2P a great piece of kit and much more capable than the air

I bought my MPP about 6 months ago and yes I still love it for the price point and the high technology it provides. Being an AMA field flyer 90% of the time my only purpose for the expensive camera is FPV flight over the 60 or so acres our club provides. So my prime reasons for choosing the MPP was cost and fun. Photography is not my concern since I'm more of a fixed wing pilot anyways and the new drone was just for more airtime. I do love the silver color, quieter props and longer flight time it offers too.

If you fly in low light, at dusk, or at night the M2P will blow the MPP out of the water, and the 20MP stills make for far superior Spherical Panoramas. If you really want to change it up, the 2x-4x zoom on the M2Z is a game changer for keeping your distance while getting wonderful closeups of skittish wildlife and staying away from people while still getting the shot from much farther away, without annoying them or even attracting attention. I have both!

I bought the Pro Platinum and although it flies great and is quieter than the Spark, I wish I had bought the Mavic Zoom model. With that zoom lens the videos would have appeared more professional. I fly for a company that installs wildlife habitat to check for discoloration in the soil, plant growth and deer feeding.

I bought the Pro Platinum and although it flies great and is quieter than the Spark, I wish I had bought the Mavic Zoom model. With that zoom lens the videos would have appeared more professional. I fly for a company that installs wildlife habitat to check for discoloration in the soil, plant growth and deer feeding.
M2Z isn't necessarily more professional per se, but is definitely more flexible with the 2x-4x zoom capability, allowing you to get the same shot from farther away, more discreetly, with even quieter props, and a more stable signal out to a full 5 miles with 1080p FPV capability! However, you'll get essentially the same zoomed image by merely flying closer with the MPP, assuming that is possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242