DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please comment: Proposed workflow

llngoc

Reactions
I just got a Mavic 2 Pro so I am thinking of investing in some gears so I can postprocess DLogM footage while I am travelling (or at home). My plan is as following:
  1. Transfer microSD footage to WD Wireless Passport
  2. Work on footage on iPad Pro via USB-C (Will a USB 3.0->USB-C cable work?)
  3. Use Luma-Touch to edit and process footage on iPadPro
Is there any issue for this flow? I'd hate to go out and purchase the SSD and iPad then find out that this is not supposed to work.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

You may have some issues getting the iPad Pro to connect to the WD Passport HDD.
I'd suggest that you find an SD Card reader that had a USB-C connection, that will allow you to connect the SD card to the iPad.
Something like this:
SD_reader_2.jpg

Thanks for the input. After I posted this, I started to think about this route too. However, I was reading about some compatibility problem of Mavic 2 H.265 with IOS 12/iPad Pro. Can it be true?

You may have some issues getting the iPad Pro to connect to the WD Passport HDD.
I'd suggest that you find an SD Card reader that had a USB-C connection, that will allow you to connect the SD card to the iPad.
Something like this:
View attachment 66860

I just got a Mavic 2 Pro so I am thinking of investing in some gears so I can postprocess DLogM footage while I am travelling (or at home). My plan is as following:
  1. Transfer microSD footage to WD Wireless Passport
  2. Work on footage on iPad Pro via USB-C (Will a USB 3.0->USB-C cable work?)
  3. Use Luma-Touch to edit and process footage on iPadPro
Is there any issue for this flow? I'd hate to go out and purchase the SSD and iPad then find out that this is not supposed to work.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I think this should be just fine. It looks like the Wirless Passport by WD was made to do just this. If the wired solution doesn’t work you can always do it wirelessly through their app it looks like. I think the issue with the card reader to the iPad solution would be that you will run out of room real quick to store your videos. I’ve had my Mavic Pro for a little over a year and I have over a terabyte of videos that I am not sure what I am gonna do with.

My plan is to use this while travelling and transfer all footage back to my main server at home once I get home. I am concerned about wireless transfer's transfer rate as a few GBs may take a while.

I think this should be just fine. It looks like the Wirless Passport by WD was made to do just this. If the wired solution doesn’t work you can always do it wirelessly through their app it looks like. I think the issue with the card reader to the iPad solution would be that you will run out of room real quick to store your videos. I’ve had my Mavic Pro for a little over a year and I have over a terabyte of videos that I am not sure what I am gonna do with.

I learned the following when backing up the 1800 or so movies I ripped (legally) for my AppleTV:
For storage and possible reuse of files I purchase the small, deck of card sized, and portable drives commonly available in 1-2 TB size for $100 or less and transfer my pics and videos to them before reformatting SD card for future use. I created a file that is loaded on the root of each drive listing contents for easy reference.

My plan is to use this while travelling and transfer all footage back to my main server at home once I get home. I am concerned about wireless transfer's transfer rate as a few GBs may take a while.

The 802.11ac WiFi protocol theoretically has transfer speeds up to 1.3 Gbps. Im sure that’s faster than the iPad can actually write

I learned the following when backing up the 1800 or so movies I ripped (legally) for my AppleTV:
For storage and possible reuse of files I purchase the small, deck of card sized, and portable drives commonly available in 1-2 TB size for $100 or less and transfer my pics and videos to them before reformatting SD card for future use. I created a file that is loaded on the root of each drive listing contents for easy reference.

How do you make that file? Is it automated or do you just put a text file in there?

How do you make that file? Is it automated or do you just put a text file in there?
The videos/pics are in folders I created and named then drag to the backup and delete original. For the index I just made a text file in Word, but anything your CPU can decode should work... Pages, Simpltext, etc... I do not delete my indexes from my computer and they are each named with name of the peripheral drive they refer to, but do change the title to include the date of the last update each time. By always keeping the index on my main hd I can search without having to load each storage drive... they live in a drawer of my computer desk. This is easy to do in the field also. I suppose it could be made into an automated workflow, but I haven’t.

It just occur to me that I can import via USB-C from Mavic 2 Pro directly into the iPad Pro 11". The only remaining concern is that H.265 compatibility.

Okay. I have just broken down and ordered a 12.9" 2018 iPad Pro with an Apple USB-C SD Reader. I hope I will be able to get the footage into the iPad either way. Now, just have to go out and take some footage. :)

Reactions: brett8883
It just occur to me that I can import via USB-C from Mavic 2 Pro directly into the iPad Pro 11". The only remaining concern is that H.265 compatibility.
H.265 compatibility is an issue across the board. It's a standard that has caught PC and Mac machines out ... However, latest tech' does seem to be more likely to be compatible ... If you find that you cannot get H.265 vid' to display, then you'll need to change recording to H.264 ...

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929