DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PLEASE help a newbie out !! 50FPS

gregc72

Reactions
Hi All , Would someone be kind enough to help a newbie with a question i need help with , If i film a clip on the Mavic 3 at 5k 50FPS ( Landscape video ) and slow it down 50% would i create a 25p timeline on Final cut Pro because i am slowing the 50FPS footage down 50% or do i leave the timeline at 50FPS ? Whats the difference ? Thanks so so much Greg

If you have 50 real frames available during 1 sec ... you can instead use 25 frames during 2 sec, in that way you've slowed down your vid to half speed, the duration of the whole vid will be twice as long & no frames need to be either duplicated or thrown away.

If you do this in a 25fps time line you will utilize all frames captured by your camera = no loss. If going with a 50fps timeline (and render it like that) you can only fill each second with 50 real frames = normal speed ... in order to slow it down you need to distribute those 50 frames over 2 sec (only 25 available/sec = not enough) & the missing 25 per sec needs to be created by the software.

This is my understanding at least ...

If you want a 50fps vid in the end with a half speed, you should have filmed in 100fps from start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Point Zero
Hi All , Would someone be kind enough to help a newbie with a question i need help with , If i film a clip on the Mavic 3 at 5k 50FPS ( Landscape video ) and slow it down 50% would i create a 25p timeline on Final cut Pro because i am slowing the 50FPS footage down 50% or do i leave the timeline at 50FPS ? Whats the difference ? Thanks so so much Greg
I’m very familiar with FCPX it’s the only editor I use, I just bought a M3.

Tell the timeline 50fps even tell it 60fps which is a native setting. The timeline simply wants to know the highest frame rate and res any clip you add might be? If you add a clip at 50 it won’t care if you set it to 60 FPS.

When you slow it down to 25 you may notice it looks a bit jumpy. No worries that can be fixed some buy using frame blender or optical flow. Optical flow yields big files and takes longer to render, and sometimes frame blender does work better, try both.

And remember, the harder you turn, or fly fast near objects the more likely the video will appear jumpy when slowed down. If you plan to turn fast or fly quickly near objects use 4K at 120 FPS. If flying high and not near anything just doing broad range landscapes your 5k 50fps should work well for you even after slowing it down.

Good luck

I’m very familiar with FCPX it’s the only editor I use, I just bought a M3.

Tell the timeline 50fps even tell it 60fps which is a native setting. The timeline simply wants to know the highest frame rate and res any clip you add might be? If you add a clip at 50 it won’t care if you set it to 60 FPS.

When you slow it down to 25 you may notice it looks a bit jumpy. No worries that can be fixed some buy using frame blender or optical flow. Optical flow yields big files and takes longer to render, and sometimes frame blender does work better, try both.

And remember, the harder you turn, or fly fast near objects the more likely the video will appear jumpy when slowed down. If you plan to turn fast or fly quickly near objects use 4K at 120 FPS. If flying high and not near anything just doing broad range landscapes your 5k 50fps should work well for you even after slowing it down.

Good luck
Thanks can i ask one last question , so i i want to film in 50fps what is my best way to slow it down ? Put it in a 50fps timeline and just slow it down 50% or into a 25fps timeline ? Thanks

Thanks can i ask one last question , so i i want to film in 50fps what is my best way to slow it down ? Put it in a 50fps timeline and just slow it down 50% or into a 25fps timeline ? Thanks
The time line per se isn't the most interesting as said ... it's how you render it. If you want to get half speed from a 50fps clip you render in 25fps (& preferably work in a 25fps timeline).

...When you slow it down to 25 you may notice it looks a bit jumpy.

...the harder you turn, or fly fast near objects the more likely the video will appear jumpy
A large portion of that can be handled without messing in post ... if the shutter speed have been set correctly according to the 180 degree rule, if not, yeah ... then your last resort will be time consuming work in post.

A large portion of that can be handled without messing in post ... if the shutter speed have been set correctly according to the 180 degree rule, if not, yeah ... then your last resort will be time consuming work in post.
Time consuming? What editing platform do you use?

The time line per se isn't the most interesting as said ... it's how you render it. If you want to get half speed from a 50fps clip you render in 25fps (& preferably work in a 25fps timeline).
FCPX wants to know the parameters of the original footage when you start a project in the timeline.

The only option for rendering is codec.

Attachments

• B1EBB9CE-4703-486C-B887-98CDDB687968.png
    B1EBB9CE-4703-486C-B887-98CDDB687968.png
    68 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
...can be fixed some buy using frame blender or optical flow. Optical flow yields big files and takes longer to render
Time consuming? What editing platform do you use?
Can't see the relevance in what platform I use ... but correcting issues in post that could have been avoided already during the filming always adds extra time no matter what platform you use.

FCPX wants to know the parameters of the original footage when you start a project in the timeline.

The only option for rendering is codec.

No major difference in other editing tools ... in Davinci Resolve it's no problem to chose another FPS before rendering.

Can't see the relevance in what platform I use ... but correcting issues in post that could have been avoided already during the filming always adds extra time no matter what platform you use.

No major difference in other editing tools ... in Davinci Resolve it's no problem to chose another FPS

I don’t see the point to this discussion as the fella I was trying to help didn’t make any errors. I simply pointed out how to avoid possible errors he might make just in case he was unaware.

If your not familiar with FCPX don’t try and help someone who is using it. You don’t just tell the time line to render at x fps, first off it’s not even possible to do that, not that I know of? When you begin a project in FCPX it asks you for the actual parameters of the highest frame rate and res that’s going to be used, and what codex you want the rendering in, I use pro res 422, it’s not a good idea to lie because it will effect the final result. We can however decide the fps when we save the final cut.

You seem to know a lot about DR but nothing about FCPX, as none of the advice your giving is specific to what this person is using. There is a big difference in the software, for example FC will only run on a Mac not a PC, and it’s $400 it’s not free. FCPX is powerful software for professional use, not free software offered to guys who fly drones and want to sync music to their video.

This is why I stopped following drone pages on FB, too many people offering opinions who have little knowledge, I found Mavic pilots to be the worst for it.

I mean we have guys on here trying to tell me the M2 takes pictures with more detail then the M3… what? Had enough so I’m going to leave this forum soon, it served its purpose over the last week. And just for the record, my M3 has performed flawlessly, then again I read the manual before I flew it.

Cheers.

I don’t see the point to this discussion as the fella I was trying to help didn’t make any errors.
I'm not discussing ... you're asking & I answer, & on top of that give further details about methods that can be used in relations to risks you tip the OP about. But here you seems to take it as criticism & prefer to be the only one commenting this.

If your not familiar with FCPX don’t try and help someone who is using it...
Timelines, frame rates, slow-mo & choppiness is really very general ... absolutely no need to be a Pro on FCPX in order to have input in this matter.

You seem to know a lot about DR but nothing about FCPX...and it’s $400 it’s not free. FCPX is powerful software for professional use, not free software offered to guys who fly drones and want to sync music to their video.
Think you need to climb down from your high horses ... even though DR Suite "only" costs 295$ it's equal capable as FCPX. But recon you don't know what you're talking about here ...

This is why I stopped following drone pages on FB, too many people offering opinions who have little knowledge, I found Mavic pilots to be the worst for it.

I mean we have guys on here trying to tell me the M2 takes pictures with more detail then the M3… what? ... And just for the record, my M3 has performed flawlessly, then again I read the manual before I flew it.
What on earth have M2 vs. M3 & FB to do with what the OP asked about?

...Had enough so I’m going to leave this forum soon, it served its purpose over the last week
Yeah ... from what you write it seems as you have recurrent issues in your interaction, both here & elsewhere, so maybe that is a good thing ... will give you a possibility to cool down a bit.

FCPX and other NLEs need to make some decisions about how to interpret footage that is shot at a different frame rate than the timeline you are working on. Generally, there is some preference setting that will instruct the NLE of the desired interpretation the user wants. FCP defaults to forcing the footage to play back at the timeline frame rate. That means subtraction or adding frames as the video plays. To get a slow motion effect, slow the footage down by whatever % you want. FCP will then select frames from the original to get the slow motion. If there are enough frames in the original to cover the desired slowdown it works perfectly. If there are nt enough frames, it will throw in duplicated frames to get the desired playback speed. This may or may not give a slight staccato visual effect as the motion depicted between the individual frames is not consistent. Frame blending can be selected to help with this, and if you want to go all the way, use the optical interpretation method, which is generally the best, but very compute intense.

The simple way to do this is to shoot at a frame rate that is a multiple of the timeline rate and then slow the footage down on the timeline by that same %. Example shoot 120 FPS and put it on a 30FPS timeline and slow it down by 400 % will give you 1/4 speed slow motion.

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
FCPX and other NLEs need to make some decisions about how to interpret footage that is shot at a different frame rate than the timeline you are working on. Generally, there is some preference setting that will instruct the NLE of the desired interpretation the user wants. FCP defaults to forcing the footage to play back at the timeline frame rate. That means subtraction or adding frames as the video plays. To get a slow motion effect, slow the footage down by whatever % you want. FCP will then select frames from the original to get the slow motion. If there are enough frames in the original to cover the desired slowdown it works perfectly. If there are nt enough frames, it will throw in duplicated frames to get the desired playback speed. This may or may not give a slight staccato visual effect as the motion depicted between the individual frames is not consistent. Frame blending can be selected to help with this, and if you want to go all the way, use the optical interpretation method, which is generally the best, but very compute intense.

The simple way to do this is to shoot at a frame rate that is a multiple of the timeline rate and then slow the footage down on the timeline by that same %. Example shoot 120 FPS and put it on a 30FPS timeline and slow it down by 400 % will give you 1/4 speed slow motion.
Sounds like your giving good advice, I’m not sure about something though, I’m possibly misunderstanding what your saying. I might be wrong about this, but there is no way to alter the time line FPS setting. When I start a project FCPX asks me for the highest res and FPS second that will be used in the project. I can add various pieces of video at various frame rates, the time line simply wants to know the highest that’s going to be added. I might use 29, 50, 60 FPS all in one project.

In the FCPX tutorials they teach to just tell it the highest res and FPS that will be added. You might use 1080, 2.7 or 4K all in one project, so we tell it 4k. I’m not aware of it being possible to alter the time line for each piece of video being added. I understand you do alter it in DR, but not in FC. The software automatically makes adjustments as you go.

If you shot a piece of video in 4k at 60 FPS then that is what you tell the time line when you begin a project, wether you plan to slow it down to 30 FPS or not. The software will do its thing. I’m 99% sure I’m right about this for FCPX, and 90% sure that is not true of other editing software.

Be careful to be sure your giving the right information or we end up screwing people up.

Best advice is if you have questions about FCPX software watch some tutorials on YouTube given by a professional user and not this Drone Forum. A DJI drone forum is not the most reliable place to learn how to use editing software.

This is some good information, the best thing to do is just let the software handle different frame rates. I’ve done countless projects in FCPX, I tell the time line the highest frame rate that is going into the project, and the highest resolution. I’ve never had a problem.

If you shoot video at 50 FPS and tell the project you shot it at 25 FPS then try to use slow motion and slow it down I don’t think you will like the results. You will be back on this forum asking why your slow motion video looks bad and is dropping frames.

You are not correct. You can alter the timeline frame rate before you add footage. Once the first shot is added, FCP will not allow you to change it. If you add footage without specifying the frame rate, it will assume the frame rate of the first shot.

1080, 2.7, or 4k are not relevant to the frame rate discussion, they only give FCP their base resolution. The resolution of the timeline is used to interpret how to shrink or grow the imported footage to fit the full image into the timeline resolution, in a very similar way that it conforms the frame rates of the various clips to the frame rate of the timeline.

What is here is correct, coming from having made more than 75 films with FCP, FXPx, Resolve and others, as well as real films for more than 50 years.

A good source for FCPX tutorials is Larry Jordan.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000