DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Please help me figure out what drone took this photo...

• Thread starter Deleted member 153218
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 153218

I had a photo of a spot that accumulated over 660k views and someone came out to that spot and took a photo that demoted my photo into oblivion.
3844E27A-7A57-42F1-9032-E42DDF6B9EAC.jpeg
I don’t think I cropped it at all and this is off the Mavic Mini. Then this photo came out a month ago and blew it away:
26696482-1CF5-44C9-9DD7-F1EB20205327.jpeg
When I screen shot it on my iPad the image comes out too large to post here, at over 11mb. Whereas mine on the iPad is only over 3 mb.
I am very angry that someone came into my house in my area and did this to me. Because my aerial images come out at 3mb and his come out at nearly 14mb. What size sensor shot it. Was it a Mavic Pro or something bigger than 1”? That photo looks like it was shot with a 16mm camera but I have never heard of a drone that can do that, unless it’s a $10,000 Sony drone with $6000 of equipment under it.2ED8687F-7212-4C09-A102-A43711373427.png
This is my image shot off a 1” sensor with the RX100m7 camera. It’s the #1 photo still, and he took away my aerial photo which was #2. This photo comes in at 7.9mb...so it’s roughly 8mb coming off a 20mb .RAW photo.

it has to of come from a drone that is better than the Mavic Pro...I am just unable to figure it out. If that screenshot of his comes out at 14MB and my 1” Sensor is only 8MB then it has to be at a minimum a APS-C size sensor, no?

here is a link to his shots:
See what Matthew Leftwich posted to Google Maps
Contributions by Matthew Leftwich

Attachments

• 0325B209-7475-4844-AD6F-02C0C44D7A9B.jpeg
    0325B209-7475-4844-AD6F-02C0C44D7A9B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 161
Afraid it’s not your house or airspace if they got better results than you your just going to have and get over it. Most likely was as in post 2. Do the best you can. ?‍♂️
not trying to be smart just stating a fact.

I had a photo of a spot that accumulated over 660k views and someone came out to that spot and took a photo that demoted my photo into oblivion.
View attachment 132030
I don’t think I cropped it at all and this is off the Mavic Mini. Then this photo came out a month ago and blew it away:
View attachment 132031
When I screen shot it on my iPad the image comes out too large to post here, at over 11mb. Whereas mine on the iPad is only over 3 mb.
I am very angry that someone came into my house in my area and did this to me. Because my aerial images come out at 3mb and his come out at nearly 14mb. What size sensor shot it. Was it a Mavic Pro or something bigger than 1”? That photo looks like it was shot with a 16mm camera but I have never heard of a drone that can do that, unless it’s a $10,000 Sony drone with $6000 of equipment under it.View attachment 132033
This is my image shot off a 1” sensor with the RX100m7 camera. It’s the #1 photo still, and he took away my aerial photo which was #2. This photo comes in at 7.9mb...so it’s roughly 8mb coming off a 20mb .RAW photo.

it has to of come from a drone that is better than the Mavic Pro...I am just unable to figure it out. If that screenshot of his comes out at 14MB and my 1” Sensor is only 8MB then it has to be at a minimum a APS-C size sensor, no?

When you do a screen shot you are just copying the pixels of your device to memory. It doesn’t have anything to do with the resolution of the actual photo. On top of that the size of the file doesn’t necessarily equal to higher resolution either. Photos use various levels of compression to achieve different sizes files while maintaining the same resolution. The screen shots from a iPad are not very compressed so it’s typical to have large files sizes from a screen shot. If you did the same thing with your phone you’d get a smaller file.

This person also looks like he uses panorama often which would also increase the resolution.

There’s no way to tell which drone was used to take this photo. I highly doubt it was an Inspire because as an owner of an Inspire 1 and Inspire 2 it’s just too large of a drone to haul around and do free work for Google with.

It looks like a a stitched photo. The Mavic 2 Zoom will stitch 9 photos into one and results in images with a file size of 14 - 15mb. It is the Super Resolution feature.

I am not sure that the photo was done that way but the clouds show a degree of movement that shows up when I do a stitched panorama in this style. It can be done manually with almost any drone by taking a series of photos and using a good photo editor to assemble the larger image.

Maybe the new photo is simply a better photo then your old photo? The new photo has been shot from further away, which gives viewers more perspective on the location.

When viewers like/dislike photos, it’s very rare for them to care if it’s a 3MB or 11MB photo.
Its 11 megabytes because the sensor is larger than 1”. Even my RX100m7 which matches the sensor specs of the Mavic Pro 2 can only output 8 megabyte jpegs. You can only upload jpegs, so it had to come from a sensor larger than 1” and I’m trying to put this image in front of someone who may have enough knowledge in this field to be able to deduce what drone would be capable of capturing an image of this size
E8B90DC8-915D-40D6-91A8-816797327ED5.jpeg
This is another of his shots he uploaded, which is situated directly above the bridge between Bradenton & Palmetto. That drawbridge you see is the railroad to the Tropicana Plant. All the Tropicana Orange Juice destined for the Northeast and West Coast has to travel over those very tracks. I can hack my Mavic Mini with Litchi to shoot a pano, but this is beyond what the Mavic Mini is capable of doing. So is this drone that this guy is using a Mini 2, Air 2S, Mavic Pro 2, or is it the Inspire 2?

You see how there is no ghosting with the boats and the waves? That means this pano was shot left to right without stitching just like how a camera on the ground would shoot a pano. If a Mavic Mini shoots a pano, you have to stitch it together with 60-100 individual photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you post yours and where was his ?
Ask him what he was using .

Reactions: A.O.
Its 11 megabytes because the sensor is larger than 1”. Even my RX100m7 which matches the sensor specs of the Mavic Pro 2 can only output 8 megabyte jpegs. You can only upload jpegs, so it had to come from a sensor larger than 1” and I’m trying to put this image in front of someone who may have enough knowledge in this field to be able to deduce what drone would be capable of capturing an image of this size
View attachment 132053
This is another of his shots he uploaded, which is situated directly above the bridge between Bradenton & Palmetto. That drawbridge you see is the railroad to the Tropicana Plant. All the Tropicana Orange Juice destined for the Northeast and West Coast has to travel over those very tracks. I can hack my Mavic Mini with Litchi to shoot a pano, but this is beyond what the Mavic Mini is capable of doing. So is this drone that this guy is using a Mini 2, Air 2S, Mavic Pro 2, or is it the Inspire 2?

You see how there is no ghosting with the boats and the waves? That means this pano was shot left to right without stitching just like how a camera on the ground would shoot a pano. If a Mavic Mini shoots a pano, you have to stitch it together with 60-100 individual photos.
You weren’t listening to people. The size of the file does not tell us anything and from that photo you just shared I can tell 100% that it is a panorama because of the curved lines of the bridges

We might actually be able to determine the size of the iPad you were using from the size of a screenshot taken with that iPad but that’s it

View attachment 132053

Since we take pictures with all the drones, I can tell you that there is nothing special about this picture it could have been taken by any drone : Mini 2 / Air 2S / Air 2/ Mavic 2 / Zoom or Pro or Evo 2

Can you tell me what picture i took with what drone. ?
screenshot_01.pngscreenshot_02.pngscreenshot_394.png\

One of them was taken with the Mini 2 : one with Air 2S and one with the Mavic 2 zoom.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

Last edited:
We might actually be able to determine the size of the iPad you were using from the size of a screenshot taken with that iPad but that’s it
I can’t get the actual jpeg or raw file, it’s the image for locations off Google Maps...it’s obviously compressed, but by looking at the sharpness and details once would think it must be a drone with a variable aperture. This shot is definitely not shot at F2.8. The depth of field of this glass is amazingC65BA2D4-8C9F-4A16-8446-56BECA295A51.jpeg

I downloaded the photos, there is no EXIF data in them so determining the make of the drone is not possible. But looking at the names they are DJI_9_Pano, DJI_10_Pano Etc. So it is a DJI drone, whether or not they used the built-in Pano setting or did it with a 3rd party app like Litchi or just manually it is also impossible to determine.

View attachment 132030
View attachment 132031
I am very angry that someone came into my house in my area and did this to me. Because my aerial images come out at 3mb and his come out at nearly 14mb. What size sensor shot it. Was it a Mavic Pro or something bigger than 1”? That photo looks like it was shot with a 16mm camera but I have never heard of a drone that can do that, unless it’s a $10,000 Sony drone with $6000 of equipment under it.View attachment 132033

Google Maps works in mysterious ways but I think they are much more into composition than image resolution.

Since we take pictures with all the drones, I can tell you that there is nothing special about this picture it could have been taken by any drone : Mini 2 / Air 2S / Air 2/ Mavic 2 / Zoom or Pro or Evo 2

Can you tell me what picture i took with what drone. ?
View attachment 132054View attachment 132055View attachment 132056\

One of them was taken with the Mini 2 : one with Air 2S and one with the Mavic 2 zoom.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain
I’d say last one is “Mini 2”, middle one is Air 2S & first one is Mavic Pro 2...

How did I do?

Most of the people who liked his picture better were probably viewing it on mobile devices, or else on computers with a monitor resolution of around 1920x1080, more or less. In other words, they saw that your photo has no resolution problems at all.

The other guy's photo captures more of the surroundings, and shows some of the beautiful sky. It's a more striking visual composition, even though it shows less detail in the building and cars (at least as viewed on my monitor).

Once your technical quality reaches a certain point (and I believe yours has reached that point, certainly for web use), the technical merit doesn't matter nearly as much as the artistic. Take a class on photographic composition, or painting composition, since the principles are the same. Learn how to arrange the elements of your composition in pleasing geometric shapes.

I downloaded the photos, there is no EXIF data in them so determining the make of the drone is not possible. But looking at the names they are DJI_9_Pano, DJI_10_Pano Etc. So it is a DJI drone, whether or not they used the built-in Pano setting or did it with a 3rd party app like Litchi or just manually it is also impossible to determine.
No way he could do that shot with a Mavic Mini 1 on Litchi. The boats would be all over the place because of the columns and rows needed to perform that. Plus the panos on litchi don’t look that good off the sensor. It’s gotta be a 1” sensor minimum & he must of done it a few months back.

I know that rowing facility shot was performed around 8 am because of the shadows from the Finishing Tower. My ground photo was done at the Golden moment PM at a time of the year when I knew the sun lined up with the glass when it set. There is nothing interesting going on in his photo, he just has the drone at higher than 1400 feet at 8 am. His image appears taller than mine, and I doubt he cropped it. None of my photos come out with that size on Google Maps, there is always a black bar on the iPad, his photo is perfectly cropped for a iPad Pro screen edge-to-edge.

I know I could beat this photo if I had it up in the air like this when the National Championships are going on and there is a mass throng of cars and people everywhere...the problem is that they don’t do a bunch of stuff early in the morning, which is the time this was shot. My plan would be to slap a ND 32PL filter and have it twisted right and then bring it up at this same spot at 11 am when there would be a bunch of boats all over the water and mass crowds everywhere. That is the money shot

Most of the people who liked his picture better were probably viewing it on mobile devices, or else on computers with a monitor resolution of around 1920x1080, more or less. In other words, they saw that your photo has no resolution problems at all.

The other guy's photo captures more of the surroundings, and shows some of the beautiful sky. It's a more striking visual composition, even though it shows less detail in the building and cars (at least as viewed on my monitor).

Once your technical quality reaches a certain point (and I believe yours has reached that point, certainly for web use), the technical merit doesn't matter nearly as much as the artistic. Take a class on photographic composition, or painting composition, since the principles are the same. Learn how to arrange the elements of your composition in pleasing geometric shapes.
Exactly! The new picture is simply better. It has nothing it do with the drone.

No shame in being outdone mate, it happens to us all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98