DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please help turn off settings to land in back of a boat

lunarkingdom

Reactions
Hey guys, first post and I really need some help with turning off every sensor so I can land in the back of my boat when at anchor. I almost lost my drone trying this as it will not let me land in the best part of the boat which is the rear of the boat. The sensors start beeping and not only will it not come under the awning it starts to rise as soon as I start to come in from the rear. My question is what settings do I need to disable to get the mavic 2 pro to do what I want not what it wants to do? The rear of my boat is huge, approx 9x11 feet I just need to get past the transom and through the poles on either side without it trying to back off because of the sensors. Anyone have experience with this? What settings did you change to get it to land correctly?

Attachments

• iron wind.jpg
    iron wind.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 108
assume you need to turn off all the obstacle avoidance sensors ... cant be more than that?

Try turning off landing protection in the advanced section of the sensor section, it stopped 'mine' 'lifting' but I haven't been able to find anything to turn the upwards looking sensors off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lunarkingdom
Thanks for the response guys, I have read that if in sport mode all sensors are off BUT the Landing protection was the one that was making the mavic lift up when it approached the rear transom. Can you believe I had to land it on top of the rear awning and had kick it away from the edge so it would not fall into the sea. I need to figure this out before I take my next trip not using the drone is killing my beautiful scenery gathering while anchoring out.

Sport's mode and landing protection off would do the job then, wouldn't it? JUst remember to turn the blooming protection back on other wise there my be a whoopsie.

I am not 100% sure thats why I am posting about it, all my flying is over the ocean so no easy way to get it back if I make a mistake so I want ot be as sure as I can on paper before I try it this weekend. Very glad to be getting so many good responses as fast as I have this is a good forum thank you guys!

Reactions: THE CYBORG
On land, for practice purposes, the ground equals the sea, a table etc. the transom and an awning of some sort equals the awning. Are you landing or hand catching? Will the boat be under power or drifting? You don't have to fly fast is sports mode but a badly timed twitch in such a 'cramped' space is going to be 'interesting'

On land, for practice purposes, the ground equals the sea, a table etc. the transom and an awning of some sort equals the awning. Are you landing or hand catching? Will the boat be under power or drifting? You don't have to fly fast is sports mode but a badly timed twitch in such a 'cramped' space is going to be 'interesting'
While I agree, there are 2 things the rear of the boat have going for it in this respect, it is huge and it is shaped like a bowl as it has a 2 foot border around it check the picture below. I assume I can turn the sensors off individually in the settings but last time I tried it I could not get all of them off, I have yet to try it in sport mode but will give it a go if it is the only easy way to turn them all off (except for the landing assist) at once. I only will be flying at anchor in calm seas so it should be a breeze if I can get the sensors off I hope.

Attachments

• 106276088_3636638263019730_4463968929674427018_o.jpg
    106276088_3636638263019730_4463968929674427018_o.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 107
Perhaps you could consider hand catching instead of trying to fly into a fairly narrow space. Is there a way to retract your cover to do this? I’ve found that even in calm water, a boat tends to move and bob. It takes a lot of skill to fly a a drone with sensors turned off to a target that might be moving.

When I need to land my M2P in my balcony (sometimes I feel lazy...) I just touch the sensors icon in the controller and in the next screen disable the sensors. That works. Just remember to enable them in the next flight.

Well in my boat I hand launch and land with on issues at all. I fly the Zoom and never an issue

Hey guys, first post and I really need some help with turning off every sensor so I can land in the back of my boat when at anchor. I almost lost my drone trying this as it will not let me land in the best part of the boat which is the rear of the boat. The sensors start beeping and not only will it not come under the awning it starts to rise as soon as I start to come in from the rear. My question is what settings do I need to disable to get the mavic 2 pro to do what I want not what it wants to do? The rear of my boat is huge, approx 9x11 feet I just need to get past the transom and through the poles on either side without it trying to back off because of the sensors. Anyone have experience with this? What settings did you change to get it to land correctly?
This was a great question with good information. I spent almost 5 minutes trying to land mine on the front of my boat and when I finally got it to land it started sliding, VERY QUICKLY, to the edge of the boat. Luckily I grabbed it in time, but it scared the mess out of me. Ever since, I've been trying to find this question on the forum on how to land it on a boat.

only way that actually works every time is to learn how to grab the drone in the air by hand, instead of proper landing. it takes some practice - watch youtube videos on it. when you grab it - make sure to grab it SOLID, like it is a tennis racket or a hammer, so it would not slip out.
drone can be in sport mode prior to this, you just drive it toward you, slide hand under it very quick almost touching the belly and grab the body. watch some youtubes on it, and be careful - if not grabbed well it may wriggle and cut you.

landing into the hand - when it descents into the hand is always preferable, but, as boat rocks all the time on waves i found it to never work well. grabbing is faster and simpler, once you got a hold of the technique.

do not do it with wet hands. and for first practice make sure wear long sleeves and some grippy gloves, if it will hit you with props.

This was a great question with good information. I spent almost 5 minutes trying to land mine on the front of my boat and when I finally got it to land it started sliding, VERY QUICKLY, to the edge of the boat. Luckily I grabbed it in time, but it scared the mess out of me. Ever since, I've been trying to find this question on the forum on how to land it on a boat.
Honestly so have I, the choppiness of landing on any flat surface makes it dangerous and with my bow rail it wont even come close it just starts beeping and rising back up toward the rails more than once I had to fly up quick before hitting them. Hand grabbing doesnt work either, it just rises away from me when I have tried. For me landing in the rear "tub" of the boat is best but I have to test the suggestions in this thread next time I get a chance. I will try everyones suggestions while in my slip and once I get a positive result I will try it at anchor. If anyone else has more input I would gladly read it as there is no such thing as too much information when trying to land on a rocking boat over the ocean. ;-)

Honestly so have I, the choppiness of landing on any flat surface makes it dangerous and with my bow rail it wont even come close it just starts beeping and rising back up toward the rails more than once I had to fly up quick before hitting them. Hand grabbing doesnt work either, it just rises away from me when I have tried. For me landing in the rear "tub" of the boat is best but I have to test the suggestions in this thread next time I get a chance. I will try everyones suggestions while in my slip and once I get a positive result I will try it at anchor. If anyone else has more input I would gladly read it as there is no such thing as too much information when trying to land on a rocking boat over the ocean. ;-)

Just turn on sport mode . Make sure where you are landing is not all same color. If so just use a piece of black tape or landing pad even and let the downward sensor help with stabilizing the drone when landing. To test, fly over the top of a car , maybe even yours and lower down. About 2 to 5 feet if all the same color, the drone will try to drift. Now mark with tape or something and try it again. Drone should be more stable. Drones are a big learning curve. Always fun with a drone!
Have a great day.

Perhaps you could consider hand catching instead of trying to fly into a fairly narrow space. Is there a way to retract your cover to do this? I’ve found that even in calm water, a boat tends to move and bob. It takes a lot of skill to fly a a drone with sensors turned off to a target that might be moving.
Consider moving and bobbing is what can cut fingers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada