DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please help

A while back I bought a mavic style dummy controller ( the thing they let customers in shops play with). I dismantled it and there is a chance that the circuit board that from memory carries the micro USB socket is real and complete. See the attached
Note I say "a chance', I absolutely do not know for certain that it is real (as yet I haven't seen a real board from a mavic style controller) and there was a larger board in there that though real was obviouslty incomplete.
In dummy controllers for the Phantom 3 adv/pro the 'equivalent' board appears to be the real board but with the big chips missing so of no equivalent use.
I mention this because there are several Mavic Air dummy controllers currently listed on ebay UK for around £10 inc P&P.
If no one comes up with an alternative it might be worth seeing if you can get a dummy controller and checking to see if it contains a real 'USB' circuit board. However it would be a gamble, it could contain absolutely nothing of use
I was thinking of this approach for my Mavic mini ..... just in case the socket ever goes but I haven't got around to it yet

Attachments

• 214656 cropped.jpg
    214656 cropped.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: empennage
The mavic pro 1 controller board was available to purchase some time ago. Haven’t checked lately. To my knowledge, the mavic air board was never available. Again, haven’t checked lately. My guess would be that if you two guys compared some pictures, you could make a determination as to whether the dummy board would work.
I may have one and I’ll check by tomorrow. (from a non- dummy controller)

A while back I bought a mavic style dummy controller ( the thing they let customers in shops play with). I dismantled it and there is a chance that the circuit board that from memory carries the micro USB socket is real and complete. See the attached
Note I say "a chance', I absolutely do not know for certain that it is real (as yet I haven't seen a real board from a mavic style controller) and there was a larger board in there that though real was obviouslty incomplete.
In dummy controllers for the Phantom 3 adv/pro the 'equivalent' board appears to be the real board but with the big chips missing so of no equivalent use.
I mention this because there are several Mavic Air dummy controllers currently listed on ebay UK for around £10 inc P&P.
If no one comes up with an alternative it might be worth seeing if you can get a dummy controller and checking to see if it contains a real 'USB' circuit board. However it would be a gamble, it could contain absolutely nothing of use
I was thinking of this approach for my Mavic mini ..... just in case the socket ever goes but I haven't got around to it yet
Hi there thanks for the reply I have done exactly what you said I got one from eBay it has nothing I can use dji don't seem to want to know just want me to send to them and pay out god knows how much I have had the drone 1 month and used it once and now its no good just that stupid charging port

Attachments

• DSC_0113.JPG
    DSC_0113.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 22
The mavic pro 1 controller board was available to purchase some time ago. Haven’t checked lately. To my knowledge, the mavic air board was never available. Again, haven’t checked lately. My guess would be that if you two guys compared some pictures, you could make a determination as to whether the dummy board would work.
I may have one and I’ll check by tomorrow. (from a non- dummy controller)
Thank you

Attachments

• DSC_0099.JPG
    DSC_0099.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0113.JPG
    DSC_0113.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 10
Hi there thanks for the reply I have done exactly what you said I got one from eBay it has nothing I can use dji don't seem to want to know just want me to send to them and pay out god knows how much I have had the drone 1 month and used it once and now its no good just that stupid charging port
Why have dji shop sell the mavic air controller button board when they know there is this issue with people breaking the chargeing ports lol

if it just the port that is damaged then a new port that comes complete with its own cable and connector can be obtained and fitted

Oh well that's a pity. The dummy I have looks like it's for a pro and not interchangeable with the air but I'd have to find it again to check the model number. ( put it somewhere safe. )
Even if your dummy's board is dead is the actual socket real and complete? If so could you transfer it to the real board? A fine tipped soldering iron and a good solder sucker might be needed at a guess, and perhaps a head or table mounted magnifier.
Failing that what about an entirely new socket?
The probable problem is that I think it is a type A micro USB socket (rectangular in shape) and they do not seem readily available as loose pieces. The type B micro USB socket, with the chamfered 'top' corners, seems readily available as loose pieces and at a guess might fit and work but you'd have to change the cable connecting to your device.
With the Mavic mini controller I can use a micro-USB-type-B-plug to appropriate-connector cable to connect the controller to my device, so, from that sense I see no reason why a type B socket wouldn't work and you probably previously charge it with a micro USB type B cable.
Failing that I have seen repair services for this socket advertised on ebay, I thought I had seen them from around the mid £20's but the only one I can now find is £50 +

Last edited by a moderator:
GL200A, just found it, and I am fairly sure the USB board is functional. I can't see into the socket well enough to see if there are contacts in there but am attaching photos.
It looks like lifting and replacing the socket will/would be entertaining, I wonder if it can be done using a hot air gun rather than an actual soldering iron?

Attachments

• mavic controller USB socket.jpg
    mavic controller USB socket.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 18
GL200A, just found it, and I am fairly sure the USB board is functional. I can't see into the socket well enough to see if there are contacts in there but am attaching photos.
It looks like lifting and replacing the socket will/would be entertaining, I wonder if it can be done using a hot air gun rather than an actual soldering iron?
Hi yes that is exactly what I need I have a new port just don't know how to fit it that is very small soldering

Oh well that's a pity. The dummy I have looks like it's for a pro and not interchangeable with the air but I'd have to find it again to check the model number. ( put it somewhere safe. )
Even if your dummy's board is dead is the actual socket real and complete? If so could you transfer it to the real board? A fine tipped soldering iron and a good solder sucker might be needed at a guess, and perhaps a head or table mounted magnifier.
Failing that what about an entirely new socket?
The probable problem is that I think it is a type A micro USB socket (rectangular in shape) and they do not seem readily available as loose pieces. The type B micro USB socket, with the chamfered 'top' corners, seems readily available as loose pieces and at a guess might fit and work but you'd have to change the cable connecting to your device.
With the Mavic mini controller I can use a micro-USB-type-B-plug to appropriate-connector cable to connect the controller to my device, so, from that sense I see no reason why a type B socket wouldn't work and you probably previously charge it with a micro USB type B cable.
Failing that I have seen repair services for this socket advertised on ebay, I thought I had seen them from around the mid £20's but the only one I can now find is £50 +
Thank you for getting back to me it was a great help

Send it back. If only a month old maybe there will be warranty. Do you have refresh?

Reactions: Kris38newbe
i dont believe refresh coveres the RC if you sent it to DJI they would probably be a charge for repair

it requires the controller to be completely dissasembled and then the board with the port can be disconected and the kit comes with a new ribbon cable to connect it to the main controller board ,there are videos on you tube detailing how to do it you will need the proper tools to do it, or you could get a profeshional repair service to do it for you ,in my original post i ommited to say that the port is part of the button board sorry

I've sent a controller back to DJI after more than a year and out of warranty. It had no visible defects in fact it was pristine but it didn't work correctly. DJI replaced several parts and itemized their cost and none were expensive. I questioned them as to why they had failed and they didn't reply to that question but said I would get a slight discount. Then ...the controller that I received after the repair was brand new not the one I sent in. I would send it back to DJI...you'll save money in the end.

I've sent a controller back to DJI after more than a year and out of warranty. It had no visible defects in fact it was pristine but it didn't work correctly. DJI replaced several parts and itemized their cost and none were expensive. I questioned them as to why they had failed and they didn't reply to that question but said I would get a slight discount. Then ...the controller that I received after the repair was brand new not the one I sent in. I would send it back to DJI...you'll save money in the end.
Hiflyer, Would it be to much to ask what the charges were? I just sent mine off for repair of a similar nature and just want to be prepared.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy