DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please respect the animals

Garatshay

Reactions
I'd like to take a moment to share something that was brought to my attention today and that reminded me why we should all consider carefully how and where we fly our drones.
The owner of a stables drew to my attention the fact that someone had very recently been flying their drone low and close to horses involved in riding lessons.
Horses - and most other animals - are naturally afraid of strange noises and an unexpected overhead presence. Understandable since many predators attack from above.
Please avoid situations where you might frighten an animal with your drone. There are real dangers in startling large animals, particularly if there are people nearby.
If an accident were to arise, it's very likely that any investigation would involve you - and in any case - we want to gain support for drone use - not offend people.
Please pass this message along to friends who fly drones and share it with any other drone sites to which you belong.

Last edited:
Yep, but I guess some people see it as 'fun' to scare these poor animals. It gives decent and concessions drone pilots a bad name, as always it's the few that tarnish the majority of responsible drone pilots.

Personally, if it was me that made the law, if they had been caught harassing animals of any kind, I would give them a hefty fine, confiscate their drone and ban them from using one again.

There's a interesting warning on a public path (which runs through farmland) near Wivenhoe in England where I ride my bicycle. It's says, more or less; dogs harassing livestock in any way may be shot.
I'm staying way clear with my drone too..

Yep, but I guess some people see it as 'fun' to scare these poor animals. It gives decent and concessions drone pilots a bad name, as always it's the few that tarnish the majority of responsible drone pilots.

Personally, if it was me that made the law, if they had been caught harassing animals of any kind, I would give them a hefty fine, confiscate their drone and ban them from using one again.
I’m inclined to agree - especially with your point about the effect of reckless or dangerous behaviour on our whole community.

Reactions: Nickyb65
Garatshay, I’m with you on this one…I will pass on this message to those I run across. There are many riding facilities in my area.

Any bad flying behaviour regarding any subject of drone operation is really damaging to what I believe is a pretty good culture overall. The forums are a good start in keeping it that way.
👍

Garatshay, I’m with you on this one…I will pass on this message to those I run across. There are many riding facilities in my area.

Any bad flying behaviour regarding any subject of drone operation is really damaging to what I believe is a pretty good culture overall. The forums are a good start in keeping it that way.
👍
Thank you - greatly appreciated. It’s unfortunate that we might all suffer if a careless few cause concerns - something we should all seek to prevent happening

Reactions: LoudThunder
I’d love to follow (chase)a herd of horses with a drone. That would look pretty cool. But alas the only way that would be safe is in the open plains with no fencing.

I'd like to take a moment to share something that was brought to my attention today and that reminded me why we should all consider carefully how and where we fly our drones.
The owner of a stables drew to my attention the fact that someone had very recently been flying their drone low and close to horses involved in riding lessons.
Horses - and most other animals - are naturally afraid of strange noises and an unexpected overhead presence. Understandable since many predators attack from above.
Please avoid situations where you might frighten an animal with your drone. There are real dangers in startling large animals, particularly if there are people nearby.
If an accident were to arise, it's very likely that any investigation would involve you - and in any case - we want to gain support for drone use - not offend people.
Please pass this message along to friends who fly drones and share it with any other drone sites to which you belong.
Unfortunately this comes with the introduction of cheaper affordable drones, you get bogans/trash that give drones a bad name not giving a crap about anyone/anything else, rules...

Although I don't chase animals I have been very surprised that especailly birds don't seem to be phased by a drone flying nearby.

But alas the only way that would be safe is in the open plains with no fencing.
Not even close, rock, ruts, trees, debris, gopher holes, etc... all present dangers to horses running… Horse running wild with fear will never be able to run safely on the open plains.

Have you not see that even at sculptured race tracks, horses have broken their legs just running on a cushioned race track?

Last edited:

Good advice. my wife and I run a retirement horse farm, with expensive horses which aren’t ours. My wife does the horses while I do the maintenance. She thought it would be an interesting idea to acclimate the horses to a drone, so over several months I did that without incident. They now could care less about the drone and that’s fine. Eventually a new one will arrive and I’ll need to work with it for drone tolerance. This seems to be a good thing, as other horsemen think it’s great that ours no longer spook at odd movement or noise, making things safer at horse shows and such. So no, don’t fly drones around horses that haven’t seen them. And yes, they can become tolerant, like any animal I suppose. Don’t know that for sure. The dogs think it’s a game meant for them. The coyotes run from it like a gun shot, and don’t come back for months. The horses basically ignore it. Safe now to fly low around the property, but it took awhile. Would I drone a horse show if asked? No.

She thought it would be an interesting idea to acclimate the horses to a drone, so over several months I did that without incident.
Your system worked without scaring the horses because you did it slowly over several months and you had no intent to cause the horses to stampede just for the video footage. Buzz-boy above wants to scare the wild horses into a stampede for a few moments of video without considering his antics could kill or cripple these horses.

Your system worked without scaring the horses because you did it slowly over several months and you had no intent to cause the horses to stampede just for the video footage. Buzz-boy above wants to scare the wild horses into a stampede for a few moments of video without considering his antics could kill or cripple these horses.
Precisely. As well as boring the snot outta everyone who's seen horses running already, harassing wildlife is an excellent way towards getting drones banned from everywhere.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Precisely. As well as boring the snot outta everyone who's seen horses running already, harassing wildlife is an excellent way towards getting drones banned from everywhere.
Well, “buzz-boy” is off-base but I don’t think a few isolated transgressions will get drones banned. Keep in mind that ranchers out West often use helos to herd animals of all kind, domestic and wild, often killing wild ones from the helo. It’s a lucrative sport all it’s own. Heli-hog hunting etc.

If I see a drone harassing animals or people, I’ll say something to stop it, as should everyone, pilot or not. If drone harassment becomes pervasive, I would expect the FAA to step in. Doing my part to avoid that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme