DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please school me on iPads

98 SNAKE EATER

Reactions
First off, I have to say I despise Apple products, but mainly because I don't have any :oops:

Never had an iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc., although, I did use an old iMac G3 for target practice o_O

I'm currently using my Samsung Note Edge and although it shows virtually zero lag, the app has shut down in flight on numerous occasions :oops:

I'd like to get a dedicated tablet with a larger display and from what I've read, the iPad mini is the way to go, so I guess I'l be going to the dark side ;)

Thing is, a new Mini4 is well above my price range and I'm not sure if the lower models will be enough for my needs :confused:

I set my budget at around $120 and have seen several Mini2/16GB/Wifi models going for that on EBay.

Has anyone here experienced any lag, app crashing or other issues with this model?

Do I really need for than 16GB?

What exactly do I lose by going with a Wifi only mini as opposed to a cellular mini?

On the cellular models, can I just pop in any sim card or is it Apple/cell provider specific?

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Do I really need for than 16GB?
16 GB will be plenty of space if you're only going to use it to fly.

What exactly do I lose by going with a Wifi only mini as opposed to a cellular mini?
The cellular model contains a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver is active even if the cellular service has not been activated. With GPS on your mobile device, you will be able to manually reset the home point to your location after taking off (could be helpful if you move away from the original home point) or use the Follow Me flight mode. If you activate the cellular service, you'll be able to use features that require an Internet connection (like downloading maps in real-time). If you have a mobile phone that is able to setup a hotspot, you could also connect the iPad Mini to a hotspot to share the Internet connection.

On the cellular models, can I just pop in any sim card or is it Apple/cell provider specific?
Apple sells iPad Minis that are able to connect to specific cellular networks out of the box. While I've never done it, you can replace the SIM card like this.

Reactions: Bunny Too
Thanks for the info.

So you're saying I'd be able to use all the other flight features a cellular model would provide if I just connect to my phone as a hot spot?

Yes, I will only be using this for the MP and nothing else, so 16GB it is.

Has anyone here experienced any flight issues using a Mini2? (app crash, lag, etc.)

So you're saying I'd be able to use all the other flight features a cellular model would provide if I just connect to my phone as a hot spot?
No. You'll just be able to share the Internet connection with your iPad Mini.

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
OK, I guess I'll have to use phone if I ever use those features then (I still haven't gone that far into the flight modes)

Also, what are the different displays I keep reading about?

Did a search for Mini2 16GB Wifi only and came up with "Retina" and "non-Retina"

Which one is better and when was it introduced to the lineup?

Reactions: MavPro75
Are there any different versions of the retina display or are they all the same?

If I get one with an older iOs version, am I able to update to a newer one and if so, is it free?

For those that have used both the mini2 and mini4, what are the noticeable differences (if any)?

Also, has anyone here purchased an iPad from GameStop?

A co-worker of mine suggested checking them out and it appears their prices are pretty decent.

For those that have used both the mini2 and mini4, what are the noticeable differences (if any)?
The iPad Mini 4 is faster, brighter, has an anti-reflective screen, is a little lighter & thinner, has a thumbprint reader, and is able to run in hotter outdoor conditions.

Reactions: Chirp and smackLAN
The iPad Mini 4 is faster, brighter, has an anti-reflective screen, is a little lighter & thinner, has a thumbprint reader, and is able to run in hotter outdoor conditions.

Ok, is the actual speed of the mini4 noticeable over the mini2 during flight though?

I'll only be using it for the MP and nothing else, but I'd like to cache all flights as well as run an app that will record all the flight data as shown on the screen.

Will the mini2 handle all of thus simultaneously without lag?

I'd like to cache all flights as well as run an app that will record all the flight data as shown on the screen
I don't normally do either of those things when flying, but I'd definitely go with the iPad Mini 4 if that's what you plan to do.

If caching media or other content that may consume storage space, 16GB could be consumed fairly quickly. With about 6 hours of flight time during the first week of owning the MP, I remember thinking "I'm glad I went with the 128GB version" multiple times after checking the free storage on the device.

IMO, the biggest drawback of getting an iPad Mini 2 at this point, is that it is already end of life. It is possible to experience performance issues and other glitches related to running 4-year old hardware.

The lack of GPS receiver in the WiFi model was a deal breaker for me. I had purchased a 128GB version of the Mini 4 for under $300 as part of the Best Buy student discount deals and was hoping to use it with my Mavic. After the first couple of sessions, no matter what I tried, the home point was never really accurate even when actively connected to WiFi. I could only get within 20-30 feet, which to me was unacceptable as that variance put my location on the side of a hill. Sold that on Craigslist and had to fork out for the cellular version and I'm glad I did as all of the GPS features work as expected.

In summary, I'd strongly recommend going with the Mini 4 Cell version for various reasons.

Ok, I started looking into the Mini4's and saw that some of the standard iPads are priced within or under.

Which iPad models are comparable to the Mini4?

I see an iPad 4 + Cellular 16GB listed for $259 at BestBuy

Do the standard iPads cellular models also have the built in GPS like the mini +cellulars?

Yes, it looks like the iPad 4 with cellular does have GPS

Wi-Fi + Cellular

• Wi-Fi
  • Digital compass
  • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
  • Cellular

Sorry about all the questions, guys.

Like I said, I really don't know anything about Apple and the more I look into pricing, the more I get confused with the models.

What about specs?

Is the iPad 4 on par with the Mini 4 in terms of power?

It looks like they're VERY similar. iPad4 has a better processor while mini 4 has a better (smaller) screen. The anti-reflective screen on the Mini 4 might be beneficial for regular outdoor usage. It's really a personal preference at this point.

This should help you with comparing the various models. Note the two right columns.

iPad - Compare Models

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ