DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POI 2.0 vs. Circle Quickshot

BrianGGG

Reactions
Hello. I have just upgraded from Mavic Air to Zoom, and now I am looking into POI V 2.0.

I have not yet tried POI 2 for real (want to understand it first), so here's what I have gathered so far:

• You can do POI on a Mavic 2 with GPS (the old way) or with POI V2 (the new way)
  • If you do POI 2, you don't need to fly on top of the center of the POI to establish the circle
  • Instead, with POI 2 you are able to draw around the POI on the DJI Go screen
  • From DJI Go, you can establish the direction, speed, etc.

POI 2.0 sounds great (and less risky) in that it's sometimes not advisable to fly above a POI. However, POI 2 sounds very similar to the Circle quickshot, and I can't see much advantage or difference between Circle and POI 2.
Is this correct?

Also, the problem with Circle in the past is that drawing it on DJI 4 sometimes leads to misunderstandings about where the real center of the POI is. If you draw around the "long side" of a building, there are bad assumptions when you get to the short sides. This leads to an uneven circle and a bit of choppiness. Is this also the case with POI 2?

Finally, I think I saw that a firmware upgrade allowed for the side sensors to be active during POI 2. This would be huge as I always get nervous around bigger circles. Is this correct as well?

The User Manual was good but not detailed enough ... Any thoughts or assistance on this would be appreciated.

What do you mean you have not used it for real? Is this the same as saying you have not used the POI function as of now. I guess all I can suggest is to pull up a few YouTube videos on this mode and let that be a starting point of interest (POI)

What I meant above was, I don't want to use POI 2.0 until I completely understand it. I'd rather not have my drone disappear from sight without me understanding what it has been programmed to do.

I have definitely watched several YouTube videos, and I have the questions above after viewing them. Hoping for some knowledge sharing from those that already have experience with POI 2.0 and can answer the specific questions above.

It looks like your doing your homework, good job....☺

So what is the real difference between POI vs Circle?
I believe POI is continuous while since "Circle" is a QuickShot it is one rotation and then it ends. I believe with POI you can control the sticks to adjust position. Not sure about that with QuickShot. I think you set those parameters before you launch the shot.

...Also, the problem with Circle in the past is that drawing it on DJI 4 sometimes leads to misunderstandings about where the real center of the POI is. If you draw around the "long side" of a building, there are bad assumptions when you get to the short sides. This leads to an uneven circle and a bit of choppiness. Is this also the case with POI 2?

I have found using the visual/draw box method of POI to be as you described with Circle.
It usually doesn't do as good a job of creating a perfect circle over the center of the POI as if you fly over the POI and click the button to set the point.
But it at least is does give you an option for selecting a POI if you can't fly over the POI .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots