DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POI/Spotlight and Loss of Flight Authority.

Flashheart

Reactions
Beware, under certain conditions you can lose full flight authority of the M3P on the right stick control (mode 2) and the M3P will become either unresponsive, erratic or counter-intuitive.

1. Fly M3P directly over a subject with gimbal at -90 facing directly down.
2. Drag a box over subject and select either POI or spotlight.
3. The M3P will now become erratic/counter-intuitive and unresponsive to any right stick commands.
4. To regain full flight authority, you must exit POI/spotlight mode.

This is a repeatable bug, not sure if it had been noticed so I thought I’d put it out there.

It's not a bug, and the "counterintuitive" is how the feature is supposed to work to make the particular job easier, where the right stick becomes forward/back to adjust the radius of the circle around the object, and sideways to ride that circle.

It's not a bug, and the "counterintuitive" is how the feature is supposed to work to make the particular job easier, where the right stick becomes forward/back to adjust the radius of the circle around the object, and sideways to ride that circle.
It will not allow me to increase the diameter of the circle by pushing down on the right control stick. The flight behaviour becomes erratic and counter-intuitive (right control stick down becomes right control stick up and so on) other times it just locks up and refuses to move.
If you rotate the craft around its central axis by pushing the left control stick left or right, the craft will violently rotate back to its original oreintation as soon as you centre the control stick..
It is certainly not supposed to behave in this manner.

Last edited:
That's probably because you're directly over the subject, so distance is 0 at the start and things become weird since there isn't really a meaningful distance and direction to start from. You're not supposed to be right on top. The whole point of it being vision based is that you don't need to, it would likely actually work poorly since the subject won't look the same at all from the side/an angle as from the top.

That's probably because you're directly over the subject, so distance is 0 at the start and things become weird since there isn't really a meaningful distance and direction to use. You're not supposed to be right on top.
I agree, I just wish I'd known that before. It doesn't warn you of this in the manual either! I was using a surveyors datum point as a POI to fly an accurate circle around a henge at the time. Due to the location of the stones, this datum plate is best accessed from directly above.

DJI have responded to me regarding this matter, they’re recognising this as a ‘bug issue’ for which they are ‘profoundly greatful’.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S