DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Point of interest failsafe question

Enigma

Reactions
After replacement of gimbal cable I've been testing extensively.
RTH works perfectly if connection is lost.

However, I tested point off interest in active track and deliberately turned off the remote while testing RTH.

I was surprised to find it kept on circling and did not return to home.

After many circles and 3 tests, I'm assuming it will keep on circling until battery dies.
Everything was normal when I reconnected.
Is this normal?

I'm hoping that when the battery reaches the critical level (30% ish dependent on distance from RTH set point ) then a RTH would be triggered. You are correct though, I understood that a RTH would be triggered 3 seconds after a broken link. The next key point is at 10% battery remaining when it should auto-land.

I'm hoping that when the battery reaches the critical level (30% ish dependent on distance from RTH set point ) then a RTH would be triggered. You are correct though, I understood that a RTH would be triggered 3 seconds after a broken link. The next key point is at 10% battery remaining when it should auto-land.
I am now wondering if RTH will not work in all active track modes.
I'll test that soon, and set battery warnings high, and hope RTH is triggered.
If that doesn't work, then it's concerning RTH doesn't work under certain conditions.

This is well worth finding out as it seems a good way to lose your drone.
Ive been using POI orbit over a mile offshore "safe" in the knowledge that if i lost controller signal it would come back to me.
If what you say is true then having the thing hover out of range isnt a good outcome. If it initiates RTH as part of failsafe RTH its better than nothing - the flight is a loss but the drone is saved. Worst case it keeps circling until critical battery and lands in the ocean.
Not sure how to test this unless you have an area of flat open ground you can orbit and allow it to potentially force land though.
Id want to know the answer though because it might mean using POI or other modes as i do would be too risky so id have to stop.

This is well worth finding out as it seems a good way to lose your drone.
Ive been using POI orbit over a mile offshore "safe" in the knowledge that if i lost controller signal it would come back to me.
If what you say is true then having the thing hover out of range isnt a good outcome. If it initiates RTH as part of failsafe RTH its better than nothing - the flight is a loss but the drone is saved. Worst case it keeps circling until critical battery and lands in the ocean.
Not sure how to test this unless you have an area of flat open ground you can orbit and allow it to potentially force land though.
Id want to know the answer though because it might mean using POI or other modes as i do would be too risky so id have to stop.
Not good news after testing RTH with controller switched off (disconnection simulation) in Point Of Interest mode.

I set battery warning to 50% hoping RTH would be triggered if signal loss happened, by deliberately turning off the RC at 51%. But Nothing happened, at time index 14.43, it just kept on circling.

Critical warning was set at 40%, I didn't have the courage to test that one. Just as well as i had a problem a few seconds later.

The video shows it just keeps on circling, and shows how long it was disconnected.

THE PROBLEM: Eventually when i turn back on the remote control, I had no control, as i wanted to actually fly home at time index 14.25, look at the controller sticks, there is no movement at the 14.25, and i am not very far away. how ever i regain control later on when i cancel RTH.

So I quickly initiate the RTH on the controller, the APP was not showing any values, height, distance, speed ect, it said N/A, so i did not trust the APP at this point, but had video feed, strange.:confused:

I only use RTH on the controller as a last option.

I have not tested the other smart tracking features yet, but i certainly will not be using POI at distance.

If there is a fix to this please let us know, many thanks.

Dropbox - ScreenRecord_2017-07-14-15-57-21.mp4

OK thats not good news for sure - sounding like a good way to lose a drone.
Only test i can think of would be 2 people with fields, orbiting to see if it reaches smart RTH and comes home (and if it doesnt and does a critical battery landing where its orbiting the 2nd person can collect it). Needs to be a decent distance apart so RTH actually triggers.
The only 2 intelligent modes i use are course lock and POI.

I will try your idea on Sunday. I have a feeling that it will just land when critical battery hits in.....Even if it goes home, you could be too far away to land at the home point. ****, i like POI.
Anyone please offer a solution......

Going home i could tolerate if desperate as long as i plan a tailwind to return. Landing on critical where it is makes the mode unusable.

I am now wondering if RTH will not work in all active track modes.
I'll test that soon, and set battery warnings high, and hope RTH is triggered.
If that doesn't work, then it's concerning RTH doesn't work under certain conditions.

Other day i took off to show someone its features.flew up 50m and sent 300m out, then pressed rth to show how great was...immediatelly rth flashed up saying rtg wasnt a available! Its never done that before..because i could see it in distance i switched off app on phone and restarted it and again rth error came up saying rth not available.
I flew it back manually but even when directly above me rth refused to work.i had waited at start for home position logged message, so no idea why this not available msg came up, and same place and route flew next day rth worked as normal, and even tho 6mnths flying its never said rth not available before it does not boost my confidence....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Esccueje