DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polarized filter for Mavic

Gabrielle

Reactions
Hi I was wondering what sort of polarized filter I should use on my Mavic?
I shoot a lot of water shots with glare ruining my photos.

What type of polarize would you recommend?

I don’t need the nd filters as I prefer not to slow my shutter speed down.

That's actually a question that puzzles me for some time - in times of analog photography, I was using circular polarizing filters quite often - they could do miracles to clarity of the image, but... there was always need to rotate them on the lens, observing the result.
If CP filters for our drones still work the same way, I'm thinking how we can effectively use them at all - putting on the camera lens while drone is on ground and then - light conditions may change once it is airborne.
Is it a pure luck then?

A bit of theory to support my lack-of-rotation concern:
How to Use a Polarizing Filter

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabrielle
That's actually a question that puzzles me for some time - in times of analog photography, I was using circular polarizing filters quite often - they could do miracles to clarity of the image, but... there was always need to rotate them on the lens, observing the result.
If CP filters for our drones still work the same way, I'm thinking how we can effectively use them at all - putting on the camera lens while drone is on ground and then - light conditions may change once it is airborne.
Is it a pure luck then?

Reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water is always polarized horizontally, so to kill it, you need to point CP filter's polarization axis perpendicular to it. This can be done simply by looking through. Mark this orientation and always mount it in this orientation. No need to experiment/rotate every time.

Reflected+Polarization_cwalker.jpg

Reactions: Mad.Flyer
Reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water is always polarized horizontally, so to kill it, you need to point CP filter's polarization axis perpendicular to it. This can be done simply by looking through. Mark this orientation and always mount it in this orientation. No need to experiment/rotate every time.

Reflected+Polarization_cwalker.jpg
Whoa, that sounds simple !
Definitely have to try this on first sunny day (considering air pollution in my area I may have to wait until spring...). Many thanks Xtreme Drone Pilot !

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Is it a pure luck then?

To use a circular polarizer on a UAV you need to plan your shot first.
Think of the direction you wish to film, then hold the CP up to your eye and rotate the CP until you reach the desired level of polarization. Then fit the CP filter to your UAV at this angle of rotation.
You will only achieve this polarization when the UAV is pointing in this predetermined direction.
When you yaw left or right, the polarizers angle will change relative to the Sun so the effect will change.
Try it out. Just hold a CP up to your eye and rotate your body slowly and watch the effect change.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato