DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polarizer technique ???

Rogerc

Reactions
I have a MP2 with a 16ND Polarizer filter and having problems using it.
I get it dialed in on the ground facing the direction of the shot that I want and then I adjust the filter so I get the effect of the polarization with blue and green etc. Two problems, I have a hard time being able to adjust the proper setting on the filter using an IPad as my display with DJI GO 4. It is just hard to tell much of a change while making adjustments. What technique has some of you used to get the filter dialed in?
Second, As soon as I turn the drone the effect of the filter changes and sometimes not for the better. I understand how it works and you are going to get different amounts of polarization depending on your direction to the light source. Do all of you just shoot in one very defined direction so that there is no change in the effect of the filter? Any advice on how best to use this filter is appreciated.
Thanks in advance for all replies.

Second, As soon as I turn the drone the effect of the filter changes and sometimes not for the better.
Although many here recommend a polarising filter, they are more trouble than they are worth on a drone.
You have to align the filter correctly for the sun angle and if you turn the drone to face another direction, you've lost it and will get patchy skies.
Just leave the polariser off and keep things simple.

Above advice is correct.
The only time I use a polarizing filter anymore is to eliminate surface reflections and thus allow the camera to film the bottom of clear water from altitude.
If you want to just control light entry to the camera so you can stop up use a plain ND.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Using my Mavic Pro 2 or Pro I I point the filter toward the most important part of my shot(s), then mount it. For the I2, I screw it on, then adjust it via the iPad. I think that is about the best you can do. Other thoughts?

Rather than adjust the polarizer after it is attached to the drone, I look through the Polarized filter before attaching and look towards the area that I want to photograph. Then slowly turning it in my fingers for the best view. Remembering where the top spot for the best view, put the filter on the drone with the top spot. Works for me. Hope that this makes sense. As you can tell, I am an old timer who likes to take photos from the DJI Drones.

I have a MP2 with a 16ND Polarizer filter and having problems using it.
I get it dialed in on the ground facing the direction of the shot that I want and then I adjust the filter so I get the effect of the polarization with blue and green etc. Two problems, I have a hard time being able to adjust the proper setting on the filter using an IPad as my display with DJI GO 4. It is just hard to tell much of a change while making adjustments. What technique has some of you used to get the filter dialed in?
Second, As soon as I turn the drone the effect of the filter changes and sometimes not for the better. I understand how it works and you are going to get different amounts of polarization depending on your direction to the light source. Do all of you just shoot in one very defined direction so that there is no change in the effect of the filter? Any advice on how best to use this filter is appreciated.
Thanks in advance for all replies.
Not only is it difficult to align but the wide angle of the Mavic exceeds the coverage of the polarizer.

Rather than adjust the polarizer after it is attached to the drone, I look through the Polarized filter before attaching and look towards the area that I want to photograph. Then slowly turning it in my fingers for the best view. Remembering where the top spot for the best view, put the filter on the drone with the top spot. Works for me. Hope that this makes sense. As you can tell, I am an old timer who likes to take photos from the DJI Drones.

Yep, about the only way to do it easily.

I only have a C-PL, all others are plain ND for video, and nowadays I would only use it for direct down water photos, to get some clarity through the surface glare . . . gentling rotating the aircraft until it's right and shoot.

That would probably be good to help colours pop on other photography too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada