DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polarpro retractable landing gear...

floyd

Reactions
Did a search and didn't find anything on this topic. Hopefully I'm not repeating a current thread.

Anyways, I bought the Polarpro retractable landing gear for my Mavic II. After watching a youtube video, it seemed like a well-build product that would get my Mavic higher off the ground for landings. Plus the legs are retractable so I won't have to take them on and off. Even when retracted the Mavic can still be folded and properly stowed in my case. Pretty cool, right?

The only problem is the design of the rear landing gear. To pivot the rear leg, there's a small plastic pin/rivet (see photo) that broke on me immediately after trying to retract the leg. I was not trying forcing it or misusing it. The pin is so fragile that its breaking is practically inevitable. I noticed Amazon reviewers had the same problem.

So if you buy the landing gear, be EXTREMELY careful when opening and closing the rear landing gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGKBSGF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 8.53.35 AM.png

Floyd: I didn't have that problem but here's the original (or one of the original) threads where I mentioned my issue with them. There are SO many posts on this Forum that it always helps to do a search on a specific topic first and that helps prevent the duplicate threads.

Retractable Leg Extensions

I bought these and also had the “pin” break. I ended up using a small bolt& nut. I’ll probably just do the same on the other side instead of waiting for it to break.
Great idea and I really like them, except for that “engineering” error.

Just had one of my rear landing gear pop off today while putting it away. There is only a couple small plastic molded pieces that are supposed to let it rotate and not fall off and that is easily broken. Think I’ll contact them about having them replace that one leg.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Did a search and didn't find anything on this topic. Hopefully I'm not repeating a current thread.

Anyways, I bought the Polarpro retractable landing gear for my Mavic II. After watching a youtube video, it seemed like a well-build product that would get my Mavic higher off the ground for landings. Plus the legs are retractable so I won't have to take them on and off. Even when retracted the Mavic can still be folded and properly stowed in my case. Pretty cool, right?

The only problem is the design of the rear landing gear. To pivot the rear leg, there's a small plastic pin/rivet (see photo) that broke on me immediately after trying to retract the leg. I was not trying forcing it or misusing it. The pin is so fragile that its breaking is practically inevitable. I noticed Amazon reviewers had the same problem.

So if you buy the landing gear, be EXTREMELY careful when opening and closing the rear landing gear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGKBSGF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 64543
Hi Floyd, Sorry to read that your ReTract landing gear has broken in such a short amount of use. Please reach out to our Support team so that we can work with you to get a replacement sent to you ASAP! Here is a quick link for contact info: Support.

Just had one of my rear landing gear pop off today while putting it away. There is only a couple small plastic molded pieces that are supposed to let it rotate and not fall off and that is easily broken. Think I’ll contact them about having them replace that one leg.
Hi BCDriver, Please contact our Support Team so that we can work with you on this issue. Here is a link to the contact information: Support! We apologize for the issues you have and look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Floyd, Sorry to read that your ReTract landing gear has broken in such a short amount of use. Please reach out to our Support team so that we can work with you to get a replacement sent to you ASAP! Here is a quick link for contact info: Support.
Brendan,
I appreciate the information on contacting your support people. Fortunately, Amazon replaced the defective leg, so I'm good to go. But I urge your research and development team to find a better way to pivot the rear legs from open to closed. That tiny pin just can't handle the stress from opening and closing the rear landing gear. The front gear is designed well, but can be difficult to open. I'm a bit worried I could damage the arm on the Mavic because so much pressure is needed to open the retractable leg.

While I'm pleased to have a fully functioning set of retractable legs, I'm disappointed that once they are installed my Mavic 2 will no longer fit in my Dacckit hard carrying case. I believe this is a pretty popular (because of its lower price) hard case. So anyone out there who has or is planning to get the DACCKIT case, you'll have to remove the PolarPro retractable landing gear to get it to fit in the case. Just an FYI.

Brendan,
I appreciate the information on contacting your support people. Fortunately, Amazon replaced the defective leg, so I'm good to go. But I urge your research and development team to find a better way to pivot the rear legs from open to closed. That tiny pin just can't handle the stress from opening and closing the rear landing gear. The front gear is designed well, but can be difficult to open. I'm a bit worried I could damage the arm on the Mavic because so much pressure is needed to open the retractable leg.

While I'm pleased to have a fully functioning set of retractable legs, I'm disappointed that once they are installed my Mavic 2 will no longer fit in my Dacckit hard carrying case. I believe this is a pretty popular (because of its lower price) hard case. So anyone out there who has or is planning to get the DACCKIT case, you'll have to remove the PolarPro retractable landing gear to get it to fit in the case. Just an FYI.

I am happy to hear you received a swift resolution to your issue. However, should you have any future issues or questions, do not hesitate to reach out to the Support Team for assistance! I will make the team aware of your post and comments on both the pin and the fit in the DACCKIT case for future consideration. We are always looking for new ways to improve and provide the best product possible, so this certainly is a point that we will investigate.

Brendan,

Why not just take a nice sharp knife and cut out the foam where the legs are? Just take your time and sculpture it. That is what I did on my case, drone with PolarPro legs now go in and out without any problems.

Why not just take a nice sharp knife and cut out the foam where the legs are? Just take your time and sculpture it. That is what I did on my case, drone with PolarPro legs now go in and out without any problems.
That's what I'll probably end up doing. I'm just not good with a sharp knife in my hand!

I am happy to hear you received a swift resolution to your issue. However, should you have any future issues or questions, do not hesitate to reach out to the Support Team for assistance! I will make the team aware of your post and comments on both the pin and the fit in the DACCKIT case for future consideration. We are always looking for new ways to improve and provide the best product possible, so this certainly is a point that we will investigate.

Looks like you guys have pulled this product to redesign? It’s “sold out” on your website and not available on Amazon today.

View attachment 64543

Mine broke the first time I was putting the leg on the drone, and you may have read one of my Amazon reviews too - I asked for a replacement instead of return when my first one broke, but I like these a lot as I fly in remote places like the desert and decided I can repair it with a small nylon screw and nut if it snaps again.

Good catch, Apocalypso! We are currently not carrying any inventory and looking into this matter further!

I’m looking for landing gear that can stay attached while folded up like these - I look forward to news when you have it. (I’m aware there are a couple of other options, but none have reviewed well)

Also, if I might put in a request for stick extensions for the Smart Controller. :)

I’m looking for landing gear that can stay attached while folded up like these - I look forward to news when you have it. (I’m aware there are a couple of other options, but none have reviewed well)

Also, if I might put in a request for stick extensions for the Smart Controller. :)

Stay tuned on the landing gear, we should have them available again in the not too distant future!

As for the stick extensions, we do not have any current plans for the DJI Smart Controller. Unfortunately, as they reversed the threading, our current model will not adapt. I will pass this along to the team that it has been requested and perhaps we can take a deeper look into it as a future option. Thanks for your suggestion!

Stay tuned on the landing gear, we should have them available again in the not too distant future!

As for the stick extensions, we do not have any current plans for the DJI Smart Controller. Unfortunately, as they reversed the threading, our current model will not adapt. I will pass this along to the team that it has been requested and perhaps we can take a deeper look into it as a future option. Thanks for your suggestion!
If the rear legs are redesigned so breaking is less likely, will you be offering a swap to those who have the original/defective design?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom