DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pole-mounted Directional Boosted Antenna Rig

RandyBullard

Reactions
I fly my drone in two locations primarily. One of them is from a patio on a mountainous coast in South America. The rules here are wide open, and I've routinely flown beyond VLOS, down a long inlet out into the open ocean over some islands. Since most all my flying is out in this one direction at distance. I'd like to get the absolute best modification and rig for my Mavic Air 2. I've been looking at the Alientech Duo. If there's something better, I'd be interested to hear about it.

My main question is whether/how I can mount it on a pole at some additional height, and whether that incremental height would be worth whatever signal loss the cables introduce. Depending on the angle as the drone exits the channel, there could be a hill that is about ~30' higher than the patio I'm launching from a half mile or so out. There are trees and some contours to the coast that make me think putting the antenna up on a 20' pole pointed in the right direction would give direct LOS to the drone in pretty much all circumstances.

Is there a good guide or just a turnkey rig that I could purchase? I would prefer to pay for an extra controller and have a professional do the mod. Any suggestions appreciated.

I fly my drone in two locations primarily. One of them is from a patio on a mountainous coast in South America. The rules here are wide open, and I've routinely flown beyond VLOS, down a long inlet out into the open ocean over some islands. Since most all my flying is out in this one direction at distance. I'd like to get the absolute best modification and rig for my Mavic Air 2. I've been looking at the Alientech Duo. If there's something better, I'd be interested to hear about it.

My main question is whether/how I can mount it on a pole at some additional height, and whether that incremental height would be worth whatever signal loss the cables introduce. Depending on the angle as the drone exits the channel, there could be a hill that is about ~30' higher than the patio I'm launching from a half mile or so out. There are trees and some contours to the coast that make me think putting the antenna up on a 20' pole pointed in the right direction would give direct LOS to the drone in pretty much all circumstances.

Is there a good guide or just a turnkey rig that I could purchase? I would prefer to pay for an extra controller and have a professional do the mod. Any suggestions appreciated.
A wifi beam antenna or a large plate as high up the pole as you can get them and a short low loss cable into your controller

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada