DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POLL: Have you powered on your Mavic with the gimbal lock attached?

Ever power on your Mavic with the gimbal lock attached?

• No. I always remember to remove the gimbal lock.

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Yes, and it did not cause any damage.

Votes: 416 91.0%
  • Yes, and it damaged the gimbal and I had to repair my Mavic.

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
A lot of people worry about damaging the gimbal after accidentally powering on the Mavic with the gimbal lock attached. Have you ever done this?

Please vote above.

Last edited:
I have several times in a hurry with both and only issue was that oh crap moment . :p

I have but only with my Mavic air. I have not done that with my Mavic 2. No damage, just gimbal overload warning on the Go4 app.

Yes, have done it several times unintentionally. Last time the screen simply said the gimbal wasn't ready, took it off and the gimbal went through the normal startup motions on its own. I'm thinking DJI has figured this part out.

Reactions: msinger
Yes, have done it several times unintentionally. Last time the screen simply said the gimbal wasn't ready, took it off and the gimbal went through the normal startup motions on its own. I'm thinking DJI has figured this part out.
Hope you’re correct. :rolleyes:
I went to PolarPro’s gimble lock due to easier to apply and hard to ignore the big black thing over my camera.
D6783B41-698C-4329-B1C6-8141138FCBCD.jpegF89FD078-3754-4B4C-BE3F-34111F9A44C8.jpeg

Hope you’re correct. :rolleyes:
Lots of people have done this and I've never seen anyone report it causing permanent damage. If that's really the case (or the common case anyhow), then it seems DJI likely has done something to attempt to prevent the gimbal from damaging itself. The DJI GO app knows when the gimbal lock is attached, so there is definitely some kind of logic built in there.

Did it once. I got a message saying gimble motor overload. No damage, but made me be sure to check it every time. I also got that message a couple of times taking off from my lawn.... Again, being very careful that the gimbal is free to do it's pre-flight stretch.

I see we only have one vote for "damaged the gimbal and I had to repair my Mavic". Does that voter want to share their story here?

The original gimbal lock for the M1P was terrible for me, I reluctantly used the complicated thing.

At some point I found a gimbal dome with integrated lock. The new Dome Lock is easy to install and remove with some practice, but it can damage the gimbal if used carelessly.

Well, in about 2 years with the M1P I forgot maybe five to 10 times to free the gimbal, and it is always a small shock moment. But until today the gimbal works without problems...

The original gimbal lock for the M1P was terrible for me, I reluctantly used the complicated thing.

At some point I found a gimbal dome with integrated lock. The new Dome Lock is easy to install and remove with some practice, but it can damage the gimbal if used carelessly.

Well, in about 2 years with the M1P I forgot maybe five to 10 times to free the gimbal, and it is always a small shock moment. But until today the gimbal works without problems...
Glad its still working.

Reactions: mnis
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada