DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poll Should Hobbyists & Commercial Pilots Be permitted to fly over Crowds

Permitted to operate over crowds

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a hobbyist myself I would want to say yes but since there is a lot of reports about drone crashing and falling from the sky I would say NO. It will still be safe to keep some distance.
I believe in Us
So hopefully the/our community can convince you into changing that big fat
No into Yes

I believe in Us
So hopefully the/our community can convince you into changing that big fat
No into Yes
I have no doubts in the community and I believe everyone here is responsible enough. But I was just thinking if it will be publicly declared that it is ok then some might abuse it. Some newbie or pranksters might just fly over crowds without and cause some accidents.

I would have to say in general, no. I think it would depend somewhat on the size of the drone. Things can happen to a drone that is beyond the PIC's control and a large drone falling could cause alot of harm. It would only take one incident and people would want to ban them everywhere. It's already hard enough to find a place to fly, at least around more populated areas....

As much as I hate the word “no” feel free/welcome to express why you would vote no.

Peacefully please:)

I'd say no, because it doesn't matter if the operator is a hobbiest, commercial, insured or not.
Aircraft can fail due to mechanical, electric or electronical errors. Take in account external forces (birdstrike) or pilot errors such as flying in excessive wind, aircaft hits a structure and falls down, to name a few.

I will say yes, if:
Operator is commercial and insured.
No automated flights.
Aircraft is below a specific MTOW.
Aircraft has failsafe features such as: redundant power (batteries), minimum of redundant 2 IMU and GNSS receivers, min. hex prop layout, a parachute.

Those requirements might be overkill, but a minimum set of above techniques should be required to fly above a crowd of people.

Just my 2 cts.

I will say yes, if:
No automated flights.
Aircraft has failsafe features such as: redundant power (batteries), minimum of redundant 2 IMU and GNSS receivers, min. hex prop layout, a parachute.

Those requirements might be overkill, but a minimum set of above techniques should be required to fly above a crowd of people.

Thank You Sir

I'd say no, because it doesn't matter if the operator is a hobbiest, commercial, insured or not.
Aircraft can fail due to mechanical, electric or electronical errors. Take in account external forces (birdstrike) or pilot errors such as flying in excessive wind, aircaft hits a structure and falls down, to name a few.

I will say yes, if:
No automated flights.

Just my 2 cts.
Very well said

Reactions: DroneAir
I voted no, the thread asked for my reason. The sheer volume of drones today makes this easy decision for me on a harmless survey. The fifty dollar drones and the fifteen hundred drones have to much potential to hurt someone.

I don’t care o debate my opinion. I voted, you asked. I am moving on to next subject.

With a quad, I'd say no. If you fly a hex, I'd say yes. Because with a hex you've got motor redundancy and I'd want that peace of mind. Unlikely though it is that a motor would fail on a quad, I feel we don't want or indeed need any publicity like a drone falling from the sky and injuring someone.

If a certified 107 with proper training, experience, and Insurance I would be ok with it.I don't think kids with $100 drones and no respect, or even the outlaw pilots with DJI drones should ever be allowed to fly over crowds. I'm sure some ones gonna jump me about my response to buzzing Disney , be assured I would never try that, I was expressing an opinion:rolleyes:

I have posted this elsewhere, but here it is again.
overhead-view-of-crowds-at-outdoor-rock-music-concert-A8TYDY.jpg
If you look close at this dense crowd, you will have to agree that the Skulls make up only 15% of the possible targets for a falling drone. So, It is fair to say that even if you crash over a dense crowd, you have less than a 20% chance of hitting someone in the head. Maybe 50 / 50 of hiting a person at all.

I have posted this elsewhere, but here it is again.
View attachment 52533
If you look close at this dense crowd, you will have to agree that the Skulls make up only 15% of the possible targets for a falling drone. So, It is fair to say that even if you crash over a dense crowd, you have less than a 20% chance of hitting someone in the head. Maybe 50 / 50 of hiting a person at all.
I'd agree that if you were above that crowd and pointed a laser down at them, you'd have a pretty good chance of the dot hitting the ground and not a person. But with something bigger than the size of a basketball, the odds of a prop hitting someone goes up dramatically. And those odds would approach 100% if it is not moving straight down. Plus, this crowd looks much more dense as you move to the left (not trying to insult their intelligence ;) ).

And what if they saw it coming? You'd likely have more injuries from the stampeding people trying to get out of the way.

Posts like this just encourage the idea that it should be OK to fly in risky situations... Any yahoo definitely should NOT be allowed to fly over people in highly populated events, parades and what not...
And anyone that thinks it is ok is a manic that needs medication.

Why are you people trying to push the envelope? If you're not careful all the fun will be over...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada