DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

[POLL] What frame rate do you TYPICALLY/USUALLY use?

When filming with your Mavic, which frame rate do you usually use?

• 24 fps

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • 25 fps

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • 30 fps

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • 48 fps

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • 50 fps

• 60 fps

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • 120 fps (HD)

• Total voters

floyd

Reactions
I'm still learning about the capabilities of my Mavic 2 Pro and about cinematic techniques. During my research I've learned there are many who like lower frame rates (24/30) and many who like higher rates (60/120). The point of the poll is born more out of curiosity, but I am hoping folks will explain why they usually use a certain frame rate. I understand most if not all folks use different frame rates for different reasons. But when looking back on your filming with your Mavic, which rate do you most often use?

I am a bit confused (not unusual) about what to do if shooting different frame rates for a particular project. For example: Let's say I want to create a video that will include some slow motion footage. To achieve smooth slow motion it's recommended to film at 60+ fps. But I also want the video to have a "cinematic/film" feel, which means shooting at a lower frame rate. When importing this footage into FCPX, will the software maintain the different frame rates or change them to be the same? Is it best to use one frame rate for a particular project? If a project is going to have slow motion, is it best to film the entire project at 60+ fps?

I'm likely asking some pretty basic (possibly foolish) questions. Please be kind when commenting on my ignorance.

I am no professional by any means but as far as I can tell I would say, first it depends on what you want to record. And if you want to shoot in 4K or not. 4K is only available in 24, 25 and 30 fps. If you are happy with 2.7K you also have 50 and 60fps. Only in 1080 you have 120fps. I guess you know that already.

I was using 4K 24fps and 25fps most of the time for aerial footage which was okay but when yawing I often had rolling shutter so I switched to 30 fps which made it a bit better IMHO.
I tried 4k 30fps to record skiing but I wasn't too happy with. The picture didn't seem clear and smooth to my eye. Now I tried 2.7K 60fps to film skiing and I was really happy with the result. So I guess I will stay at 2.7K 60fps for filming sports and record the rest in 30fps for now.

But as I said I am still learning myself and trying out different things.

EDIT: I own a Mavic 2 Zoom

Reactions: mereflyer and ff22
I am no professional by any means but as far as I can tell I would say, first it depends on what you want to record.

Very much so, also the effect you are trying to achieve. The "classic" cinema effect is generally achieved by shooting at ~24fps, for instance. The question was "most" though, and since it's possible to adjust in post I generally go for the 50fps option (when available), and 24fps if not, plus the occassional use of higher speed for the slo-mo effect (again, applied in post). It also depends on light levels; if it's twilight then the rule of thumb of having a shutter speed of 2x frame rate might push me toward 24fps, even though I'd prefer the footage to be at 50fps. There's always tweening...

Reactions: mereflyer
30fps for the simple reason that quickshots only records at 30fps, so it makes splicing videos together much easier

I was using 4K 24fps and 25fps most of the time for aerial footage which was okay but when yawing I often had rolling shutter so I switched to 30 fps which made it a bit better IMHO.
I tried 4k 30fps to record skiing but I wasn't too happy with. The picture didn't seem clear and smooth to my eye. Now I tried 2.7K 60fps to film skiing and I was really happy with the result. So I guess I will stay at 2.7K 60fps for filming sports and record the rest in 30fps for now.

so, it is kinda mixed question, as shutter speed here will need to be in correlation with the ND filter you use. in most sunny conditions ND32 is ideal if you go with 1/50 shutter at ISO100 - but on more cloudy days it is too dark. so, if you move to 4K30 and to 1/60 shutter speed, and use ND16 filter it gets a bit more flexible as on sunny days it seems to work rather well at aperture 4.5 - 5 and on cloudy bright days - wide open, so you will need to replace your filter less. not if that would be an end of the world problem to swap a filter, but, it is simpler not to be bothered with it too much.

In YT there are many videos about the topic, and one popular theme is to shoot with 30 fps and in the editing SW slow down to 80% to get 24 fps and the cinematic look.

Videos in YT look good.

In YT there are many videos about the topic, and one popular theme is to shoot with 30 fps and in the editing SW slow down to 80% to get 24 fps and the cinematic look.

Videos in YT look good.
Not sure why, but I didn't think there would be so many filming at 30fps. I thought 60fps would be the most popular (zero votes at this point) because it looks best in slow motion (50%). But the explanation above makes sense.

Not sure why, but I didn't think there would be so many filming at 30fps. I thought 60fps would be the most popular (zero votes at this point) because it looks best in slow motion (50%). But the explanation above makes sense.
this drone does not have a 4K60 mode. so, not too many can use it, as it does not exist.

I shoot everything in 4K 30fps. The footage always looks good to me but I only have 20 flights or so of experience and filming.

Videos in YT look good.
The problem with that is that it isn't really "cinematic," it's just slow motion. By shooting natively in 24 fps and playing it back at that rate you keep the motion at it's actual speed.

24 fps is what movies are shot and exhibited at in theaters and it's a holdover from the use of actual film. 30 fps is the frame rate for television in the U.S. I shoot at 30 fps because I'll be watching my video on a TV and I like the smoother look of a few more frames per second.

Reactions: ff22
The problem with that is that it isn't really "cinematic," it's just slow motion. By shooting natively in 24 fps and playing it back at that rate you keep the motion at it's actual speed.

24 fps is what movies are shot and exhibited at in theaters and it's a holdover from the use of actual film. 30 fps is the frame rate for television in the U.S. I shoot at 30 fps because I'll be watching my video on a TV and I like the smoother look of a few more frames per second.
Mr. Salty, what frame rate would you use if you knew you were going to turn the footage into "cinematic" slow motion?

4K 30fps 1/60 Shutter (Double the Frame Rate) use ND filters.

This should be the default for the M2P.

If in Europe I think TV is shot @4K 25fps so 1/50.

I am not sure about the last part.

=)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu