DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

POLL: What is your typical RTH altitude setting?

To what altitude do you have your RTH (Return-to-Home) set?

• 50 feet (15m) or less

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 50-100 feet (15-31m)

Votes: 42 18.1%
  • 100 - 200 feet (31-61m)

Votes: 122 52.6%
  • 200 - 300 feet (61-91m)

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • 300 (91m) or more

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Depends on the aircraft I am using

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I go to too varied of locations to have an idea of the average alt.

Votes: 19 8.2%

• Total voters

OneQuickSix

Reactions
Just curious what people tend to set as their RTH altitude. Realize it could vary regionally (would be cool to collect that data) and for other factors, but just a general consensus.

Last edited:
I'm not finding that to be an easy question - because RTH should be set in pre-flight and depend on the terrain that you are flying in. As a rule of thumb, I set it to make sure it's higher than the highest trees in the area!

Yeah, I haven't gone to a lot of varied locations, so mine has mostly stayed in the same range. I realize people who travel to vastly differing locales on a regular basis might find it difficult to answer this one.

Also, same (trees) or if I know I will be near any cell towers or especially high powerlines of course.

EDIT: Created another poll choice for ya' Fox!

Last edited:
I don't try and set it too high, especially with the MM as the winds are stronger the higher you go.

30m is my goto in a flat landscape

Last edited:
I don't try and set it too high, especially with the MM as the winds are stronger the higher you go.
Yep, same for the MM. I was just commenting in another thread how overly wind-sensitive the MM seems to be with its warnings. I know it is a lot lighter/slower -- so more easily impacted by wind -- but it just seems to chirp at you more.

I'm not finding that to be an easy question - because RTH should be set in pre-flight and depend on the terrain that you are flying in. As a rule of thumb, I set it to make sure it's higher than the highest trees in the area!

Very similar here; make sure it's higher than the tallest tree (or other structure), but also to reduce the risk of someone below noticing the drone and thinking you may be spying on them. Typically, that's probably in the 31-61m meter range, which is how I voted, but will vary considerably if the terrain is very uneven. I'll also try and keep it as low as practical - there's no point wasting battery power on unnecessary ascents and descents, or fighting the wind at higher altitudes - so if it's flat and open ground (or water!), I'll have it much lower.

Personally though, I don't tend to use RTH much and tend to bring it home manually - less risk of collision avoidance errors and temptation to take your eyes off the ball that way. Since that usually means doing some more exploration, I've also spotted some interesting things to photograph that I might have missed otherwise that way too.

Only used it once... The beeping annoyed me! Never felt the need but know it's there as a fail safe.

Always set in pre-flight depending on where I am and what's around me.

Sometimes I'll fly up to max height of tall things close by if unsure of the height and then set

i have mine set to 40m ,as an average ,but i will alter that setting for specific areas after observing my surroundings during pre flight check ,like @zocalo i dont use RTH much but its important to have it set for the location you are flying at in case you need it

Reactions: itsneedtokno
80 meters, I have high voltage power line pylons where I fly the most, but it is always a must to check if fine before each flight, you can have surprise with wind and hills. Also having high RTH altitude make me thinking 20% battery = empty battery to have a margin factor.

That is the first thing I used my drone for. To see how high the trees were in my area. Then I set it or change it.

Just curious what people tend to set as their RTH altitude. Realize it could vary regionally (would be cool to collect that data) and for other factors, but just a general consensus.
It is dynamic depending on the location. Always set it before I fly to an altitude higher than the highest obstruction (trees etc.) in the area. Unlike government one size does NOT fit all.

No default set height.

It is a good part of a pre-flight check-list to check and set the RTH mode and altitude. This should be done prior to each flight depending on the terrain, obstacles, flight path, and winds aloft. If you don't get in the habit of checking it each time, you will end up having it set incorrectly on that one flight where you really need it.

Also generally better to keep the drone under your control instead of depending on RTH for the return flight. It makes for better piloting skills and builds experience. It is nice to have in case of an emergency disconnect, and that is when you need to make sure it was set correctly prior to the flight.

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
I live in wooded hill country and I'm usually launching from the valley floor. Mine is set at the max 390 feet. At my usual spot the valley floor rises up as I fly the valley.

Also note: After a firmware update, the RTH will reset to factory defaults. Check (and probably ) reset all your menu selections after an update.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Set as Low as possible. Just high enough to avoid objects and high winds aloft. Most critical on the Mini.

the MM is not good high up as we all know when it comes to the wind,so because I tend to fly at lower levels with the MM anyway ,and spend a lot of time in confined spaces and in forestry with the MM ,then i have my RTH set to hover, that way i know its not going to rise into trees and low obstacles,which you had to be wary of until they updated the firmware to allow different settings

Reactions: SpitFire

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots