DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Poor mans propeller tie down solution

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Received my MM yesterday and ready for first flight, hopefully later today. There are so many nuances that largely get unspoken on pre-purchase videos and instructions, such as securing the props. And then I start seeing "propeller guards" for $8+. ???? When the MM arrived it had paper bands around the props, so I had to ask, would one need anything more than a device to keep the props from flapping around in transit?

So I came up with a much simpler idea... Rubber bands. I had to tie two together to get enough length for a half knot which would be easy to undo. The friction of the rubber against itself holds it in place and is easy enough to install. Photo below....

Am I missing something that would require a different way to secure the props???

Leg_ties.jpg

Reactions: Slade
Bought these for mine, I guess for less than 6 US dollars. They do the job nicely.

Screenshot_2020-06-27-18-22-41-85_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.png

I don't own a Mini, but I am not sure how much tension the rubber bands exert on the props and the potential to warp them.

I don't own a Mini, but I am not sure how much tension the rubber bands exert on the props and the potential to warp them.
That was really my point in sharing this. I don't tie them tight, but just enough to hold them in place. I suppose I should look for a cheap commercial alternative just to be sure?

Ok... $8... why not. I just ordered these. Should be here tomorrow.
Amazon Prop guards

Reactions: waltermitty
Personally I think storing the blades across the body could lead to deformation on its own, irrespective of any clamping or tying.
Mine have to be depressed to mesh with one another.
I use the flymore case and store the front propellor blades over their arms, the rear propellor blades are stored pointing forwards, only slightly meshed together and under the gimbal

Reactions: Slade
Received my MM yesterday and ready for first flight, hopefully later today. There are so many nuances that largely get unspoken on pre-purchase videos and instructions, such as securing the props. And then I start seeing "propeller guards" for $8+. ???? When the MM arrived it had paper bands around the props, so I had to ask, would one need anything more than a device to keep the props from flapping around in transit?

So I came up with a much simpler idea... Rubber bands. I had to tie two together to get enough length for a half knot which would be easy to undo. The friction of the rubber against itself holds it in place and is easy enough to install. Photo below....

Am I missing something that would require a different way to secure the props???

View attachment 106056
You are obviously missing something. This is a hobby and you have to throw untold gobs of money on all kinds of accessories - needed or not. Now go out there and jump start this economy! (g) Rubber bands - sheesh!

View attachment 106056
I have used a loose rubber band on my Mavic Air 1 for 2 years and now on my Mavic 2 Pro for over a year. No problems whatsoever.

Believe it or not, I saw a guy on the beach with a Mavic Air stuffed into what looked like a piece of panty hose!!?? Not the foot, it was cut on both ends. Appeared to keep everything together nicely. Ingenuity!

Mavic Air 2: Align the 8 props along the body of the drone, slip a firm rubber band (not tight) around the drone to hold the rotors in place against the top and bottom of the drone (with no distortion) and slip the whole drone into a soft drawstring carry pouch, with the silica gel sachet that came with the package. Into the Fly More bag ...... job done.

DavidT_NZ sorry but can I just check, are you suggesting that the mini should be stored in the flymore case with the bottom (rear) propellor blades aligined along their arms pointing to the rear of the drone?
If so they will almost certianly be bent by the raised section in the base. In the attached photo I have attempted to show their relative position over that raised section

Attachments

• rear props along arms.jpg
    rear props along arms.jpg
    667.7 KB · Views: 79
DavidT_NZ sorry but can I just check, are you suggesting that the mini should be stored in the flymore case with the bottom (rear) propellor blades aligined along their arms pointing to the rear of the drone?
If so they will almost certianly be bent by the raised section in the base. In the attached photo I have attempted to show their relative position over that raised section
He said MA2

I love your rubber band proposal. Please, keep an eye on my ribbon and velcro propeller holder option. It's very cheap and works great:

R.

View attachment 106056
Whatever works. I’ll be using rubber bands??

Since my post I'd ordered, received and returned the orange prop guards. IMO they didn't work any better than rubber bands or velcro strips. It probably cost all of 20¢ to make so way overpriced for what they are. I suppose the mfr/seller has to recoup the cost of shipping and delivery, but $8 I thought was a little steep for what they actually are and do. Because I have a 3rd party case I think just keeping the rear props parallel with the body might be the best way to store the MM.

Billiam1, I have bought similar but, by the time they arrived, I had already decided not to use them.
Nothing to do with the actual things themselves but solely due to having to bend/depress the blades to get them to mesh with one another for the across the body position.

I bought the DJI propeller holder for $13 and it works very well. It aligns the props towards the arms and doesn’t put any pressure on them. I feel it is worth the cost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada