DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Port Burrell Ont HMCS Ojibwa Submarine (S72)

Zoso

Reactions
:confused:Was a great day for a drive so we thought let's pack up the bird and head to Lake Erie. We drove into Port Burrell which was packed with weekend warriors on there motorcycles. From behind the store fronts on main st I could see this huge black stack. Sundenly I remembered reading about the decommissioned Submarine that was brought here back in 2013 as a land historical exhibit.
We parked the car and headed down to the water front along the river where the Submarine now resides. The exhibit was closed and has not opened for the season so Ithought I would try out my second attempt at video with the Mavic.
Well I messed up when I did what would of been a great video if I had pressed the record button
Below is some information from Wikipedia about the Submarine :

HMCS Ojibwa was an Oberon-class submarine that served in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) and later the Canadian Forces Maritime Command(MARCOM). Originally intended for service with the Royal Navy as HMS Onyx, the submarine was transferred to Canadian ownership before completion, and entered RCN service in 1965. Ojibwa operated primarily with Maritime Forces Atlantic until her decommissioning in 1998. In 2010, Ojibwa was laid up at CFB Halifax awaiting disposal, with the Elgin Military Museum planning to preserve her as a museum vessel. The submarine was towed to Port Burwell, Ontario in 2012, and was opened to the public in 2013. She is now the new focal point of a planned Museum of Naval History to be built alongside.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 44
That's cool, I sailed in her back in '91. First pics I have seen of her in her new home... Thanx !!

PS - just in case you are wondering, I also sailed in Onondaga.... as well as 3 of the 4 new(ish) ones as well...

Reactions: Grog and Zoso
That's cool, I sailed in her back in '91. First pics I have seen of her in her new home... Thanx !!

PS - just in case you are wondering, I also sailed in Onondaga.... as well as 3 of the 4 new(ish) ones as well...

That is so cool. I do apologize for not getting a good video . As mentioned I messed up and forgot to press the record button. I did get a short video that I will try and post.
Thank you

Reactions: Sloth469
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett