DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possible bird or drone strike on an airline.

Birdstrikes are extremely common.
According to the FAA there are over 13000 birdstrikes each year in the US
An airliner hit something that is reported as maybe a bird or a drone, with nothing in the report to suggest why it might have been a drone.
That suggets the probability it was really a drone would be very low.

Reading that very scant news, it could have been anything mechanical that just happened to occur at the time.
There was no mention of crew hearing or seeing a strike from anything.
Possibly just a warning light going off that they wanted 'explained' regarding that "mechanical issue".

Let's hope there is a follow up and clarification, otherwise it will possibly go down as a possible drone strike in some report somewhere.

I saw a report of a previous Delta flight (2008) hitting a Black Vulture out of that airport.
That would leave some damage I bet.
(Actually it did DFW08IA073: Full Narrative)

Birdstrikes are extremely common.
According to the FAA there are over 13000 birdstrikes each year in the US
An airliner hit something that is reported as maybe a bird or a drone, with nothing in the report to suggest why it might have been a drone.
That suggets the probability it was really a drone would be very low.

Yes - interesting. Given that low-altitude bird strikes are quite common, I wonder what triggered the suggestion that this one might have been something else. Since no explanation was given I guess we just wait for more information.

Reactions: DeltaTango
A bird strike will usually leave evidence of some sort, like blood stain, feather, etc. Typically a rounded dent (no sharp creases). A UAV of a pound or more would probably leave some sharp creases in a metal leading edge. Ive seen lots of bird strikes. No UAV hits tho.

First post. Hello forum!

Well, we can look at it this way. Most strikes are reported to be drone strikes at least by the media. Now we are getting drone or bird strike. Possibly progress. Just V E R Y S L O W L Y.

In general the media are simply reporting the statements from operators or local authorities. In other words they are doing their job.

In general the media are simply reporting the statements from operators or local authorities. In other words they are doing their job.
I agree with you but the reality we live in now is that the media is a very competitive industry and will “bend” a story (especially a headline) to include trending words and phrases to improve their views, likes, clicks to increase their revenue.

i think 99.5% of the media are telling BS when it comes to these so called drone incidents see as we all know bird striks are quite common so it holds no excitement or money to report on them however if it was a drone that downed an aircraft or airliner news sales would soar so they just put the word drone into report to sensationalize news .(it makes money ) biggest seller in news today is FAKE NEWS and poor investigative journalism. because the media know most people are lazy and only read the head lines and cant be bothered to research anything . (politicians are just as bad)

i think 99.5% of the media are telling BS when it comes to these so called drone incidents see as we all know bird striks are quite common so it holds no excitement or money to report on them however if it was a drone that downed an aircraft or airliner news sales would soar so they just put the word drone into report to sensationalize news .(it makes money ) biggest seller in news today is FAKE NEWS and poor investigative journalism. because the media know most people are lazy and only read the head lines and cant be bothered to research anything . (politicians are just as bad)

And what research did you do here? The news item linked above simply reported the statement of a possible UAV strike from Austin airport. Would you prefer that they censor the news instead? Most of the time it appears to me to be the strident 'FAKE NEWS" claims that demonstrate laziness and confirmation bias.

Just browsing the FAA website. There is a whole section called "UAS Sightings Reports". Looks like there are usually a few UAS sightings reported by aircraft every day throughout the US. I was surprised to see several reported several thousand feet AGL! I think this is where the rub is- Unaware UAS pilots flying their craft in or near the path of aircraft. As usual, a few ruin it for the many and we get the rule making that is about to happen.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Just browsing the FAA website. There is a whole section called "UAS Sightings Reports". Looks like there are usually a few UAS sightings reported by aircraft every day throughout the US. I was surprised to see several reported several thousand feet AGL! I think this is where the rub is- Unaware UAS pilots flying their craft in or near the path of aircraft. As usual, a few ruin it for the many and we get the rule making that is about to happen.
Like most laws/rules they are made to control the few, but always impact the many.

And what research did you do here? The news item linked above simply reported the statement of a possible UAV strike from Austin airport. Would you prefer that they censor the news instead? Most of the time it appears to me to be the strident 'FAKE NEWS" claims that demonstrate laziness and confirmation bias.
well i did not expect you to have a dig at me .nobody said anything about censorship . and as far as me being strident well i was not in anyway being forceful in my opinion .and as far as research goes .i have been watching and looking up stories on so called drone strikes and i beleive yes some are to be the case however there is quite alot out their that have been debunked as well . you were correct on one thing yes i did not look at the Austin report ,however my thoughts were in general and not pertaining to one incident . and if you did your research and watched mainstream media in Australia and in the UK .some of these reports are just hysterics .yes there are idiots out there that do it i am not saying that there is not .
and facts are fact most human beings do only read headlines and not the whole story and believe what they are told as true without digging in and doing some research . so please dont rip me a new one just because you do not like my opinion . thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580